Antipodes Oladra

Just setting oladra up for the first time. 2 questions: 1) if using roon via AES to active speakers what is the best volume setting for the player - hardware or software?

and 2) is this normal for roon to not be able to identify the device and see oladra as a D2 bridge device?

Software should be avoided as there will be a loss in sound quality.

I think it’s normal.

1 Like

Twas the same with mine (D2) but changed itself to “Oladra” shortly thereafter.

1 Like

None is the best setting, use the volume control on your speakers

not so convenient on the 8c speakers as volume is only done via an app. i suppose i will stick with ‘hardware’ for now as recommended above - but i notice that squeeze player doesn’t present the same question - i don’t really understand the whole volume control quality issue tbh - if anyone would care to enlighten me.

loving the oladra btw - looking forward to getting to day 4 of warm up stage! first impression is that my comfortable listening volume is a touch higher than it was previously. oh and the clarity and resolution is quite striking.

seriously though - did you pour concrete inside? nearly did my back just lifting it out of the box - reassuringly heavy!

Very nice. £840k speakers. Probably £1.5M system. Hide your wallet indeed!

@MarkCole oladra unusable

i am using aes output and went to bed with roon left on and playing music, this morning oladra is giving this error, i have restarted and power cycled everything including speakers:

So you click OK, what happens?
Can you send me a screenshot of the Solution Dashboard please.

1 Like

clicking ok the box just goes away but no outputs available.

So, you were running it on v3.14 prior to upgrade?

yes and everything was working fine for around 8 hours yesterday but this morning i noticed that ‘no output’ was showing instead of ‘ditgitial output’ so i just went ahead and did the upgrade thinking it was something to do with that maybe. i noticed an error saying no soundcard on alp (or something along those lines) also but i didnt take a screenshot

1 Like

Bugger me, that’s quite the sysrem!

1 Like

The way this forum orders posts, I thought you were referring to tommytwotimes 8cs!
The room treatments (and their expense) are mind blowing enough. the Magicos and gear are a whole different universe.

Well, my black Oladra arrived, and it is quite a beauty. It really does look wonderful.

I don’t want to say too much about sound just yet, because although out of the box, running an AES/EBU cable to my Devialet Expert 1000 Pro was interesting, after 24 hours use, the sound really opened up, adding considerably more detail and air than my K50 offered, plus that ‘liquid’ quality that seems to make the connections between notes both smoother and more ‘understandable’…the music just makes more sense!

I know from the K50 the burn-in journey is a long one, but it would be great to hear from other users how long it took to get almost ‘there’, recognising that ‘there’ may be a year off.

Big thank you both to Antipodes and Elite Audio (UK) for making this happen.

3 Likes

I have finally made the decision and traded in the K50 for the Oladra.

Unlike the K50 the Oladra is good from the get-go and if it is burning in the change is slow and definitely not like the K50 which was a rollercoaster.

I have added an AfterDark (fully upgraded) and can confirm Qobuz sounds far better than playing from SSD in every way, I tested many files of the same resolution.

@MarkCole sorry to say this but streaming is better with AfterDark EDIT (Switch) than SSD, perhaps research and development for a new product such as a network switch. It seems the clock in the AfterDark makes the difference somehow. Although even on SSD with the AfterDark SQ is improved.

If this is something Antipodes does in the future count me in even it has a SMPS :slight_smile:

1 Like

Switch? Would make sense.

1 Like

? Not too sure what you mean AterDark is a Switch

You left the word “switch” out of your post when you said “have added an AfterDark (fully upgraded)” so he was just confirming.

2 Likes

Interesting Clive. Which model SSD are you using? My experience with Oladra is that with PM893 SSD for music library, local files sound better than streamed, even with a decent switch and cables.

Agree though about the Oladra…it is wonderful.