EX vs S30 for Squeeze server/player setup

Hi,
I would not suggest using S30 as server. It has a player board as has the EX. But if you try please share.

@silversurfer616

I was just trying to understand what possibilities you compared with what connections and what output for a single EX to outperform a dual setup in SQ.

It seems you are close to also having a server now?
Of course the EX+CX Oladra combo is very tempting. And with some luck you can find a K30 for under 4k Euro.

Tempted indeed!

If 4kā‚¬ is within reach for a K30, what can I dream to pay for an EX+CX Oladra in your view? More or less than the K30?

Definitely more and remember it is a G3 upgrade not G4. How much is the oladra ex+cx from a friend you found? You can PM me if you prefer.

So I went ahead and bought the CX/EX Oladra kit, it even came with a P2 that I need a digital cable to try out.

I first tried the new EX Oladra as server/player to listen to the Oladra upgrade - and yes, that was definitely more organic and natural sounding music :slight_smile:
Then I plugged in the CX Oladra and set up a classic CX Server/EX Player config with a direct ethernet (stock) and that was also yielding a big difference. Not so much in the organic direction, but there was definitely more control over things - and better timing. More details and more silence.
The combo also seems to emphasis a little more on the upper midrange vs the EX alone, something I must get used to I guess.
I am now looking forward to receive the digital RCA to test the P2.
And now that there is actually music flowing in the ethernet (vs the EX alone), I guess I will need to check out a decent ethernet cable, too. Finally I noticed while setting up that both EX and CX seem to reward power cable upgrades, too!

Thank you for pushing me in this direction, the Oladra EX/CX combo is indeed another world compared to the lone EX - even using Squeeze!

And oh I forgot, this is with old 4.x software since the 5 is no longer available. I had 5 on my EX and quite enjoyed that upgrade, so looking much forward to 5.01!

Hi Kjetil,
That is great news. I know you considered your options carefully so I am very happy for you it worked out so well. I will ship my K30 this Friday from the Netherlands to have it transformed in NZ and than send back to Stockholm ;-). Honestly I have been thinking until the last moment what else US$3000 can get me, because the rest of my setup is not on par with a K30 Oladra, but I trust over time I will sort that out.
Reading about your good results I very much look forward to the G4 version. I did not read much on the forum the last months but it seems Antipodes is having a hard time getting the latest AMS working 100%. I hope mine will run at least AMS5 when it comes back? Otherwise it will be nice to look forward to, as is the try out of different AC and ethernet cables, that I luckily already own a few, for the time it lasts of course.
Cheers
Paul

My K30 G4 is running AMS 5 with no issues. Looking forward to your G4 impressions.

1 Like

Even using squeeze? Many prefer squeeze to the other options for its clarity and purity. And again, it is reported it takes several hundred hours for it to fully break in, so it should sound even more organic and smooth if you havenā€™t accumulated this yet. Perhaps the ā€œupper midrange emphasisā€ might become more balanced also.

So we are breaking in software also now?

:innocent:

I wrote Ā« even Ā» in reference to my earlier posts in this thread where I speculated that Squeeze was so light compared to Roon that the need for a CX should be lesser. When I find the time I will try again Squeeze server/player on my Oladra EX to see if that is really inferior to the EX/CX combo. I wonā€™t bother with Roon as itā€™s quite obvious there and besides I prefer the Squeeze sound - and price!

The ā€œitā€ refers to the hardware, power supplies in particular. :slight_smile:

If you havenā€™t listened to roon lately, you might get a pleasant surprise ā€¦

Thank you but I am also a great fan of the Squeeze price :slight_smile:

And right now I am busy testing the P2!

Just received an Ansuz Digitalz X2 coax cable and moved the Ansuz A2 USB from the Hegel H390 to the P2, fed by the EX/CX combo running squeeze.

What did I expect? I suppose something like a subtly better timing in the music, the P2 being a reclocker, a more precise rhythm perhaps (I was a drummer once).

What am I witnessing? First of all, an explosion of energy! Some tracks now sound dull without the P2, on my new Oladra CX/EX combo! Wow.

But once that is tested on more tracks and accepted, what more is there? A whole new world of musicality, a finesse that I did not think my H390 capable of. I was actually looking for a new amp for my Kaiser Furioso Minis when I ran into this CX/EX Oladra combo bargain, thinking my new Kaisers were way out of the H390ā€™s league. Now I have to say, my new source has really upped the game of the Hegel! Oh and I also got a new Ansuz Mainz8 C2 power distributor that helped quite a bit :slight_smile:

This is really playing well now !! And the upper midrange is now smoooth with the P2. Glad I got that one !

2 Likes