Fuse direction in K50

Yes

Purple is no Match for Red.

Hi Mark. Iā€™m just double-checkingā€¦ I bought the Shurter fuses you specified to replace those that recently blew in my K50, but there is nothing obvious on the fuses that indicates directionality. Iā€™m guessing they arenā€™t directional and can go into the fuse holder either way round on both sides?

This is correct, as long as they go exactly where the previous fuses went, and you install the fuse holder back in the correct way round to display the correct voltage

Directionality of a fuse has to do with perceived increase of audio quality of certain (usually more expensive) fuses.

Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse. If you do not know the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions. One direction will sound more detailed. This is the correct way.
(synergisticresearch dot com)

Please note that (these) fuses have a burn in period.

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the info. I had noted the burn-in period of the new fuses. Fresh in and the system sound was clearly dull and lacking in dynamics. A couple of nights later the usual vibrant, dynamic sound had returned. Strange to think something as seemingly unimportant (to SQ) as a fuse could have this effect. I have a I2S cable coming tomorrow after running a good AES for some time, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Hi Xevious,
Since you are interested in comparing cables, at one point you could also try a better fuse (not both at once of course). SR fuses are popular, and can be tried for 30 days. I have very good results with SR (orange) in Linear Power Supplies. But not every device needs one or can even make you hear a difference.
Happy listening!
PS give the cable plenty time to run in before judging

Coming back to the original post of 2glory lā€™m anbit confused. I have cx/ex not upgraded with oladra but with original power. 2glory seems to use 1A fuse, on the web I found a 1,25A (Synergistic Research Purple) as a suitable replacement. You seem to recommend 2,5A? I donā€™t want the risk of harming the cx/ex so which type is recommended in which case?
There are no technical instructions in the Antipodes documentation. Thx.

These are what is recommended for all modern Antipodes Serverā€™s
There is no recommendation other than what we use.

3 Likes

Hi Mark, thanks. I will order 4 fuses 2,5AT for the EX/CX combination. Curious about the effect on perceived sound quality.:blush:

DX3

Fuse is a 2.25 small fast blow? And the direction in the tray is ā€¦ā€¦.?

Answered hereā€¦ Fuse direction in K50 - #2 by MarkCole

This is true for the DX3 as the K50 direction?

Yes for all Antipodes Audio devices that use fuses