HQP fingerprint problems when using Roon as the Server

That is a journey still for me to explore…

Nice thought, but somehow I very much doubt it. :wink:

I can’t say I’ve found that, but the difference on my system between that & Roon/Squeeze & with the right tweaks is as I’ve said previously “pretty negligible” & I’m not sure I’d prefer Squeeze/Squeeze on every recording or even notice it on some. Hence why I’m so pleased with the set-up exactly as it is.

I’ve not felt any need to alter or tweak anything on my system in absolutely weeks & I like it that way. Nowadays I just turn my system on & listen to music & being as that’s why I bought it in the first place I couldn’t be any happier with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m very close to this. The length of time I spend just listening and forgetting about the HiFi is getting longer and longer, with the K30 being a significant contributor to this. It has around 150 hours on it and it has improved from new, so maybe there is a little more to eek out, I hope so.

2 Likes

I tried a few combinations today and having HQP on the server rather than the player does see an improvement. It’s only able to run in trial mode at the moment so haven’t soak tested, but I think it’s closer to Roon/Squeeze than before. However, I think the latter is still edging it for me for now. Once I get the licence key changed I’ll give it more time.

1 Like

Hi Guys, I have been super busy but I would like to get HQP fired up and working with Roon on my K50.

As suggested by owners I am using the HQP on the server and Roon on the k50 server with HQP on the K50 player. I used the server fingerprint when getting my HQP license updated for this K50.

The problem is that when I try to play a file I get this error message. Any ideas?

Restart HQPlayer on the Server page. This was a bug introduced in 4.30.0 that was resolved in one of releases that came shortly after it. You only have to restart HQPlayer server after making changes to HQPlayer settings.

1 Like

Thanks for all contributions to this thread .
I was having same problem with HQ bug and following the advice on this thread have managed to get it working .
Anthony

nick, I use Roon as Server and HQPlayer as player.
I think there is advice against loading more than one server.
In your second diagram, Under “Roon Player Special Option” you should click on “HQPlayer Server”.
Then click on the link (two spots along) to open HQPlayer dashboard to upload your licence

@MarkCole Can you please advise on the timeline for the next Hqplayer update.

Following the advice about needing to restart HQP I have got Roon and HQP working on my K50.

I have persisted with running Roon and HQP on the K50 server and only HQP player on the K50 player. It was my take that the consensus was that this was a better SQ arrangement as opposed to the Roon Player Special Option - HQP Server. The logic as I understand it of going with my arrangement is that it keeps as much processing as possible away from the K50 player board. Putting HQP server on the K50 player as per your suggestion defeats this objective.

Or have you tried both ways and concluded that having HQP server running on the K50 sounds better? It would be interesting to hear from those who have tried both. The problem might be that one will require a second HQP license because the fingerprint is different for the K50 server and K50 player.

An interim report from me is that Roon + HQP did nor sound as good as the Mscaler +Squeeze/Squeezelite but Golden Sound has suggested some HQP options to me to try so that might change. Also I will try HQP without Roon and see if it is Roon which is holding it back.

Any chance you could share those suggested settings? Always fun to experiment. BTW… on my K30, Hqplayer sounded best run from the server side.

1 Like

Also… I got tired if the high pitched squeal when pausing some tracks using MPD for PGGB so I revisited squeeze. Back to the squeal. Hopefully a promised update allows others to test MPD with block? transfer.

Let us know if you land on better settings even if they don’t beat Mscaler.

I suspect the upcoming Choral series Mscaler is going to be a beast. It will be expensive though so I won’t be getting one.

I am using Roon Server/Squeeze Player. I may just be going blind, but would appreciate it if someone could tell me where that Flac Compression setting is in Roon, so that I can see if it is turned off (and try it if it isn’t)? I can’t seem to find it.

I think you have to be using Roon with Roon (and not Squeeze) to see it.

The Flac compression setting for Roon Squeeze can be accessed by clicking on the symbol to the left of the the player controls in Roon.

So click on the symbol that looks like the sun. :slightly_smiling_face:

You should then see something similar to this:-

Click on the 3 dots at the top right of the screen & it will take you to device set-up.

Then click on advanced settings at the bottom & it will take you to :-

The default “Use FLAC compression?” setting is yes, but sounds absolutely horrible. Turn it to display No as in shot. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Chilli. Found it. Sorted and sounding better. Much appreciated.

1 Like

@Chilli Having this morning seen your post reminding how to set FLAC Compression to ‘off’ I thought I might as well reload Roon onto my K50 and whilst I had it running with Squeezelite as the Player just check that I had FLAC Compression disabled.

I did in fact have FLAC Compression disabled so that was OK and I listened to a couple of tracks with Roon as the sever and Squeezelite as the player.

It sounded OK but I had not listened to the Squeeze Server/Squeezelite Player option since yesterday so I had no recent comparison.

Having quit Roon and reloaded Squeeze server again and listened to the same tracks.

Well it was worth a go but Roon is back in the cupboard again. It just somehow manages to smear the midrange and rob the music of too much of its loveliness.

NickBacon, what a weird hobby this is!
I have been using HQPlayer for a while on my K50, sometimes Squeeze, but always using Roon as Server.
On the new Oladra, I have found that Roon as server AND player delivers superior sound!!
I am so surprised that I will continue to retest. Trying to subdue some electronic glare I am getting, especially in HQP

@ICUToo That is really interesting (and is probably worth saying in the Oladra thread!!). Yours is the first ever report I have ever seen of Roon being better sound. As usual though, I hope you don’t mind how what sort of superior sound you get with Roon? I have already said I find with my K50 that it smears the mid ranges.

I got what I can only describe as glare when I was burning in my K50 so perhaps your experience will get better with burn in? Nick