K30 - change player function to player/server for MPD

RAAT is just another streaming protocol.
As is essentially Rigelian.
Understanding the network or protocol stack gives some insight into the complexities.

As a long time industrial automation programmer I am quite familiar with protocols and communication paths etc. For instance with modbus as the protocal and ethernet as the communication layer we concentrated streams from various controllers, analyzed data and retransmitted to other controllers. We also used ddc’s to change the protocal i.e. modbus to profibus to allow different controllers to talk. Therefore It is quite possible mconnect is retransmitting the stream. Anyway back to listening and thanks for the info. TBD

Mconnect can a pure remote like Rigelian. But it can also be a proxy to streaming services like Tidal. Terminate Mconnect while streaming from Tidal and the music will stop.

I think one has to be careful as to not paint with too broad of a brush. Implementation often matters more than anything else.

Roon is way too broadly defined in the above. RAAT is the protocol used between Roon Core and a Roon endpoint. It’s not used between Roon Core and Roon Controllers. HQPlayer has a competing protocol that is used between HQPlayer Server and NAA endpoints. It’s also likely that Roon Core streams to HQPlayer using RAAT. HQPlayer Server can wear multiple hats. It can be an endpoint for multiple protocols , as it aims to alter what it receives before retransmitting it to an endpoint.

The best approach might be to work backwards. If music terminates when software is terminated that software was acting as a server - because the designer chose to implement it that way.

And that is exactly what mconnect does. It seems the only way to know for sure is with input from the developer. Anyway until proven wrong, I will hold with my theory that mconnect passes the stream on by some method. Anyway the music is the thing.

Mconnect is a strange beast for sure. Terminating it definitely halts playback, even when my K30 is both server and renderer. Glider on the other hand allows things to continue to play. I would avoid Mconnect.

Squeeze continues to sound more natural to my ears.

You are correct about Glider being control app as is Rigelian. It is not as robust as Rigelian and Rigelian scrapes metadata to give a bit of the roon experience. It gives me the same sound quality as Rigelian. Good advice to stay clear of mconnect.

I think you may find the sound more “natural” when Antipodes provides the update allowing the player computer to be configured player/server.

One thing I am finding is some stuttering when playing back insane PGGB files. This happens with squeeze but not as often as mpd.

Are your PGGB files stored on a network drive? That’s the only time I experience stuttering with these huge files. Playing them off the SSD has been rock solid.

I like Rigelian. It’s my choice when playing files with my Poly/Mojo2. Glider is lightweight so it’s great to test with.

I had forgotten about that.

The proposed MPD Server/Player implementation has proven to be a complex development task, and one that will be in a future release, and not in AMSv4.
It is something we want to implement, but right now we have a number of other pressing development tasks at hand.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I know you were looking forward to it @Progisus

Thanks for the update @MarkCole . I’ll continue with MPD on the EX and Squeeze on the K30 for my PGGB files. Prog On!

1 Like

Due to the lack of great remote apps for iOS for Minim/MPD you could try with an old or used Android phone/tablet with HiFiCast