Shocking! Roon Build 1413: has Roon finally narrowed the gap with Squeeze?

Maybe consider posting a new thread to share more details about your system including some pictures. I’d love to see it.

I find roon can sound even better if it is the only server running on my K30. I still like Squeeze for my pggb files but roon software is so superior that it must be running. I moved squeeze to another computer on the network and reconfigure the player to squeeze when needed. I also found this fixed library rescan issues I was having with the Antipodes version of squeeze.

2 Likes

Interesting. From what I understand only on server can run at a time - regardless of the server. Perhaps I am wrong. In any case, I continue to go back and forth - using Roon + Squeeze for maybe 25% of my listening. Agree 100% of course there is nothing like the Roon interface. And if I had to qualify it, I’d say that Squeeze to my ears sounds maybe 5% better at most. I think Roon has narrowed the gap a bit.

Glad you got everything sorted out on your end. Seem like you’ve got a good solution worked out.
Cheers …

1 Like

Multiple server apps can run at time. It’s only the player apps that are restricted to one.

Oh; I see. Thanks for clarifying. :pray:

I agree the sound quality has drastically improved without question over the recent updates, seems noticeably cleaner and transparent -more organic which is exactly what I’m looking for. Looking forward to the new AMS update like most people here.

1 Like

I really do need to sit down and revisit Roon compared to Squeeze + Squeeze. The last time I tried, Roon only lasted about two tracks before I became dissatisfied with the sound. The problem for me is that your 5% often translates into my brain telling me the the music can sound better and that makes me dissatisfied. No amount of enhanced user interface can make up for that sound difference. Especially as when I am listening to the music I am not playing with the Roon interface.

Will await your feedback, Nick. As I say, while I believe Roon has come to sound quite a bit better, but in my view Squeeze still retains more than a slight edge. It (the Squeeze benefit) for sure is audible to my ears, but let’ s see what you think.

1 Like

My opinion is similar in that Roon sound quality does seem improved, but still prefer Squeeze.

2 Likes

After seeing this post I switched from Squeeze/Roon to Roon/Roon on my K50. At first I noticed the highs were a bit edgy but not bad overall. I’ve run this configuration for a week now and just switched back to Squeeze/Roon. Everything is right as rain now. Some songs just didn’t seem to have that sparkle with Roon player. That’s the best I can describe it. Now the sparkle in those songs is back.
If I did an A/B comparison, I would have picked up on the highs only. I need to just listen to one setup for a while, get to know it and then switch.

3 Likes

Interesting. After initial reaction I have revisited several times and at this point my view is that in hierarchy it’s is :

1: Squeeze/Squeeze
2 Roon/Squeeze
3. Roon/Roon

You do not make any reference here to Anripodes Squeeze/Squeeze. Have you not tried pure Squeeze? In my view, it remains the clear winner within the three options.

@DesertRat66 Bob, yes, that is still my hierarchy and consequently I use Squeeze/Squeeze.

Mind you, it is fortunate that I prefer that sound because Roon cannot play the BBC Sounds app and so I would miss out on the huge BBC back catalogue of classical concerts if I was to suddenly start preferring the Roon sound (either Roon/Squeeze or Roon/Roon).

1 Like

I have not tried Squeeze/Squeeze. Frankly, I have not endeavored to download an app to run Squeeze as the server.

You do not need to download a thing. If you’ve got an Antipodes server the option exists from the drop down menu. It’s quite easy to switch and go back and forth from one server to another. Antipodes couldn’t make it any easier.

Be aware while listening to Squeeze player you will not have the interface of Roon, but if you are after the best sound quality, Squeeze delivers. It’s considerably better sounding than Roon/Squeeze. Your library will show up without you needing to take any action.

1 Like

Next update …

Roon / Roon Remote / RoonServer 2.0 (build 1432) production
- Introduced AirPlay 2 support
- Implemented various minor fixes and enhancements

Sometimes SQ improvements result from “minor fixes and enhancements”

Build 1442 does a few things and again includes the mysterious and sometimes surprising …

• Implemented various minor fixes and enhancements

If you haven’t listened to roon with the latest update, do yourself a favour. If it was almost as good as Squeeze before, I suspect roon is now not behind … perhaps now roon is superior.

I cant comment on Squeeze because my player is Devialet which does not include Squeeze as option. It is roon ready or Devialet AIR whuch I felt was beeter than roon ready until a number of roon updates ago.

I agree. I was switching back and forth from roon to squeeze this morning. Playing both to my mscaler. roon from k30 with usb and squeeze from second server and optical. roon was a touch less veiled with the latest update. This update also has the playlist updater which is a cool feature.

I wish there was a way to measure differences as they are both bit perfect so should sound the same.

1 Like

I listen to Roon every Friday morning and a little bit on Saturday after I check out new content that is released here in the US every Friday morning. But to be honest, I didn’t give it an in-depth listen. After extensive A/B comparisons over the past few months since posting, I do believe that Squeeze still holds a rather significant edge. I’ll be curious to give it a good listen in the next few days or so to see if they’ve made yet more additional progress relative to Squeeze.

Like I mentioned before, I don’t really have a dog in the fight because I love the Roon interface and I’m a lifetime subscriber, so if Roon now sounds as good or better I’m happy to use it because of its interface.

2 Likes