A Small Rabbit Hole to be Exited

, ,

If I’d come across a 2nd hand CX, I’d have hooked it up as a server running into the (apparently upgraded to DX3) DX I already have, and that would have been that. But I didn’t.

I fell across an EX…and rabbit holes are tripping and stumbling my thoughts.

I only use Roon, and I’m not too concerned with all it’s DSP bells and whistles - I can happily live within the Roon constraints imposed by the DX as a server. Obviously Roon currently sits within the DX. And shifting a Roon core for fun, yeah…just isn’t.

So, based on the fact that I’m not the engineer who designed this equipment, and allowing that the EX was primarily designed as a player, I’m assuming the delta between the DX and EX as players is markedly more than the delta between the two as servers.

But even if the delta is less when looking at them as servers, the greater impact may come from there, in which case…“t’other way round” would be the way to go.

I’m assuming other peoples’ have had the same chin scratchy ponderings with similar configurations, and because I’d love to avoid potentially unnecessary, and just not at all fun Roon core migrations, I’m curious to hear thoughts/experiences around favouring a (presumably) “greatly improved” player over a (presumably) “somewhat improved” server… or visa versa.

Like I said at the top, I’m not really that bothered with higher powered CPU Roon functions, and only use Roon

Additionally - there are two other systems fed by the server that improved a lot when I initially shifted the Roon core from laptop to DX. So that’s also a bit of a consideration I’m having when wondering which unit to run as server - balancing a potential hit on my main system against potentially greater improvements on my others

Anyway. Compromises, compromises, confusions and compromises…

Thank you for reading this far, and any leg-up outta this wee warren would be most welcome :slight_smile:

The DX and EX are great Players, but not great Servers.
Easiest option is to add the EX as Player

I’ll take that as saying they’re “much of a muchness” on the server front…and get back above ground now. Thank you for the response.

1 Like