Antipodes Audio AMSv5 Release Information

Hi , i own a K50 G4 . it upgrade to AMSv5 smoothly. the software version of player and server board is AMSv5.0.0 . but I observe that the solution dashboard show a upgrade available on Player and Server board today. I follow this post from the beginning of the AMSv5 upgrade . i know that the upgrade of AMSv5 seem to be on hold recently . Is it another new vesion of AMSv5 available ? or is it a wrong upgrade alert on the solution dasboard ? i attach a capture of solution dashboard for reference . Please advise . Thank you

Ignore it as there isn’t an available upgrade right now.

1 Like

Noted. Thank you very much

1 Like

I was listening to Roon/HQPlayer last night via a K30 and there were some hiccups during playback. I went to the dashboard to check CPU and found that it was getting pegged at 100%. I was using the sinc-MG filter and upscaling to PCM. PCM upscaling in HQPlayer 4 never consumed much CPU but sinc-MG is a new filter in HQP 5, so maybe it’s different. I switched back to sinc-M and the CPU meter didn’t get pegged but it was bouncing around more than I recall it doing in HQP 4. But maybe my memory isn’t so good as not sure I checked it while using Roon and HQP together.

Hi,

How can i update to the AMsv5, my antipodes.com indicate up to date AMsv4.4?

Thanks.

Bumping the Bump post

I’m having the issue of having to select “USB Audio”as output every time I turn on the EX. It keeps reverting back to “Analog Output”. Is there a solution for this?

no pressure…but any idea when the update service might be switched back on, please ?

Hey FYI, after attempting to update and finding system unresponsive, I recycled power a couple of times, the system is now operational and appears to have reverted 4.4?

Sorry if already discussed but my dashboard still keeps showing “update available”, is there an easy way to get rid of this?

No, the update has been disabled, the button won’t disappear until re enable

I get to ignore it, but when do we know when it’s a real update?

1 Like

It will disappear for updated units.
Keep an eye on the forum, or subscribe to email updates on the website.

Hi @kennyb123 - I too have noted issues when using “Roon server with HQPlayer” with my CX / EX combo, specific to DSD upsampling, (no problems apparent with PCM upsampling). DSD Upsampling has been the primary setup and best sounding in my system, with minringFIR-lp as the filter I always used prior to AMSv5. It worked great in v4.4, but since v5 there have been issues with DSD playback. I’ve shared the below details via email dialogue with @MarkCole but I know the Antipodes team has got their hands full at the moment.

The CPU Usage in my case for DSD upsampling is about 10 - 15% higher than with v4.4, (hovering around 60-70-%), and the Core Temp is higher as well by 10-15 degrees vs v4.4. I’ve stopped upsampling to DSD until further notice.

Issue description:

When using HQPlayer with Roon Server, and with Roon set to DSD Conversion, the final signal rate output is actually PCM according to what is displayed in Roon and on my DAC…

With the Sample Rate Conversion set to DSD it seems to my ears that either: (A) the final output is actually DSD but what is being displayed in Roon and on my DAC is the PCM setting from HQPlayer… or, (B) it literally is converting to DSD but then a final added output conversion step to PCM is happening (which is being displayed as such in Roon and on my DAC).

I’ve included some screenshots with details labelled to provide added context for:

• HQPlayer Settings - PCM vs DSD
  • Roon Signal Path - Sample Rate Conversion set to DSD
  • Roon Signal Path - Sample Rate Conversion set to Max PCM rate

Thanks for confirming that you also see higher CPU utilization. One of the stated benefits of HQPlayer 5 was that it was meant to be more efficient, but the opposite seems to be the case. I suspect that this will likely be Jussi’s issue to resolve, but I’m nonetheless glad to hear you’ve made Mark aware of the issue.

1 Like

Aside from this DSD aspect for me… overall I do feel v5 is a step up indeed, with a notable improvement in sound quality as well. Great work by the Antipodes team

Agree on both counts.

1 Like

I’ve moved hqplayer from my k30 to a dedicated computer - macbook pro 2014 running ubuntu and hqplayer v5. This gave a noticeable uptick in sound. This is probably from the reduced load on the k30. I use this in conjunction with roon. @NickBacon and @kennyb123 will be happy to know I have settled on squeeze for my pggb files. Although at times I have gotten satisfactory results with roon it has been too inconsistent. In their latest survey for my wishlist, I asked for sound improvements with squeeze as the gold standard. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I realize that the user experience was the key thing holding you back, so I hope Roon can get their act together and prioritize sound quality. I also pleaded for that in my survey response. The other thing I asked for was for Harman to step in and do something about the toxicity towards audiophiles on the Roon forum, which seemed to me to be something that Roon’s leadership was responsible for causing.

1 Like

Me three :slight_smile: I need to make this at least 20 characters so I will add this unecessary gibberish at the end.

1 Like