Antipodes Oladra

Back to back Roon vs Squeeze. No improvements back to the illustrious sound it once had.
When I increased the volume to familiar level, the holographic texture isn’t as full as before.
Not giving up on resolving this mystery. The Oladra is a work of art.

Hi @MarkCole
I only have I2S connection from the Oladra to the DAC. There’s an earlier (Nov 3rd) post about Bridge device as D2. But what about the Audio device?

I see USB Audio 2.0.
Is this normal?

I also see Antipodes D2 x 2. Is this normal too?

Thanks.

Antipodes USB Audio 2.0 is the internal connection to the Re-Clocker, nothing amiss there.
Seeing us twice isnt normal, thats looks like a Roon thing.

2 Likes

did you resolve the issue?

The duplicate Antipodes D2 in the Signal Path is resolved by removing Roon off all mobile, PC, tablet devices, then off the Oladra.

Reinstalled on the Oladra first, followed by 1 wireless device Tablet. Then others as needed.

As for the quiet volume… Still investigating.

Surely a simple reboot would of sufficed, all it’s doing is giving 2 links to a manual.

After 3 weeks of settling in, I remembered that I had an old SOtM ISO-6 filter that I thought I would add to the ethernet cable (also SOtM Cat 7) from switch to Oldara.

It certainly made a difference…the sound is smoother, richer, though I am not so clear yet whether there is an actual reduction in high frequencies, and possibly transparency. It sounds more ‘analogue’.

I’m going to leave it in place for a while and then remove it to see whether the changes are for the better. I suspect other filters (e.g. Network Acoustics Muon) may be better, but first want to be sure this is a worthwhile step.

Anyone else using a filter with Oldara?

In the end, despite liking the tonal richness, it just sounded like it was sat on, with reduced dynamics. So I removed it, only to find what was there before was, perhaps, just different.

Note to self…these changes just stir up trouble…

This is often the tradeoff when one applies filters. They sound good at first, but then yanking them can reveal the harm they were doing. Good move on your part to do that.

It does point to the fact there could be some gains to be had if you get “filter” that doesn’t cause harm. A while ago I saw what might have been a photo of what’s the filter housing in the SOtM CAT7. It appeared to be just a large ferrite clamp. I’m guessing the Network Acoustic boxes pursue a more sophisticated approach.

The Oladra is the best in the world. The engineers have done an exceptional job.
I’m Team Antipodes now all the way. The support is world-class.

Low volume issue - highly likely it’s my Amp, after weeks of testing. Investigating now.
The Oladra is bulletproof and sounds oh so good. Can’t live without it.

Thank-you Mark and Matt.

1 Like

In earlier software releases there was an option to set DAC to ‘MAX VOLUME’:

Possibly Antipodes Support might be able to set that for you.

That filter has a minor effect compared to Gigafoilv4 and EtherRegen.

But you might want to try just the Sotm Cat 7 to understand what it contributed. And try other cables. You might find the ISOCat to your liking combined with other cables. Audio Bacon tried lots of combinations using ISO cat to combine the benefits of different cables.

Things got a little more complicated, as SOtM have just released a Cat 8 cable that is supposed to be really good…

Also hope Audio Bacon return to form this year…really miss those reviews.

1 Like

Emile from Taiko just gave a nice shoutout to Antipodes in this post. Quote:

“Antipodes would be my first pick having put in serious effort in designing an audiophile grade switching power supply for example and being optimized/voiced around that.“

6 Likes

I am the proud owner of a K50 and installed the new Innous PhoenixNet bridge and new SOTM cat 8 cable in front of the K50. After 2 months I find that the network bridge and SOTM create a slightly fatter sound but the dynamics and openness is better without them. Simply plugging in my floating CAt 6 Ethernet cable is better.

Now trading in the K50 and Phoenix and SOTM and getting an Oladra…:grin::+1:

2 Likes

As I understand,it is a switch (based on current terms).

What do mean by floating?
Is it utp, stp, or what?

Did you try leaving the Pheonixnet in place and replacing the Sotm with the Cat 6?

I am puzzled by this finding and curious if many others are reaching similar conclusions. From what I have read, the Phoenixnet is a very positive change to people’s sound systems.

What output are you using?

Some food for thought for you …

I remember a time when I enjoyed the excitement in music that was a result of noise, until I dug further into noise reduction and discovered it really was just artefacts of noise and othercdistortions that once removed enabled one to hear simultaneously more tonal richness, dynamics and acoustic ‘space’ around instruments in the intended sound field.

So it is possible you may be preferring one of 2 different states of noise. The new additions may be revealing a noise or other problem elsewhere.

Good questions.

I am using a Black Cat Cat 6 unshielded Ethernet cable - unshielded at both connectors (floating).

Did try taking out the SOTM cable and replacing it with the one provided with the Innous switch - no improvement.

The major difference I find without the PhoenixNet switch is an increase in air - height and breadth of music increases with improved dynamics although a slight reduction in mid band. I can only conclude that there is not much RF noise in my home and the K50’s own clock covers for the removal of the PhoenixNet?

I was surprised as the SOTM and Phoenix are expensive bits of kit. Luckily my dealer are giving me a great return against an Oladra.

I am new to this so apoligies if I make technical errors

Just to add, I am using Spdif output. My kit had decent power conditioning, grounding, isolation and power cables. It is a very revealing system so perhaps I prefer a raw sound which is not filtered?

Given you are new to this, perhaps you should seek advice from someone who has lots more experience than you, to help with your expensive decisions (that is not a dealer with a vested interest). The risk is there Oladra might sound more like what you don’t like. Perhaps @NickBacon ??

As an aside we test all our products without any fancy thingee filtering or doing anything on the network, this way we can sell a product that meets our sound quality levels, and attempt to remove as much noise as possible in the server, rather than potentially relying on some 3rd party.
We have tested some products and found that the addition of a device in front of the server to be detrimental to the sound.
Strokes for folks on this one, there is no magic bullet, it is what works in your system and your home and your ears.
With an Antipodes server, the sound could possibly be improved by the removal of the power conditioning, depending on what it is actually doing, treat the server like it is a power amplifier. Always worth trying without any additions, then slowly add the “tweaks” as you go to ascess the sound.

2 Likes