Audiophile network switches

Unfortunately, it is and will remain an endless discussion. Everyone has their preferences. Every manufacturer of audiophile switches has different ideas when it comes to manufacturing. My experience is just always the same. There is nothing worse for the server/streamer than the connected network. Listen to your concept, with all accessories for network cleaning, for about 3 weeks or even 3 months. They think it’s perfect. Sounds great. Then listen offline again. Without LAN connection. The ear reacts immediately to analogue changes. The server starts singing. Without a network, significantly less stressful listening.

1 Like

One has to take care to properly select FMCs and SFPs to be able to have a fiber network that does less harm than copper. I use a Sonora opticalModule upstream and an EtherRegen downstream, with Finisar SFPs that were originally recommended by Taiko a few years ago. I think audiophiles have found even better Finisar SFPs, but I haven’t had the inclination to change anything.

The biggest surprise I’ve yet had in this hobby is that I could hear differences in the FMC and SFP used upstream of a fiber span. Somehow the harm was still able to be passed down the fiber optic cable. This was not something I had to work hard to hear.

2 Likes

I have a noisy network so I go fiber from my switch to a AfterDark Dela S100 with highest grade clock with fiber and Finisar SFPs then ethernet into the Oladra.
I will revisit ethernet.

I have listened to the Phoenix briefly (not on my system) and prefer the AfterDark and prefer streaming than local files.

BUT my friend does not have the similar view which to me is odd because we agree on most SQ issues. So just shows how personal taste comes into play because we both agreed the SQ was different but perhaps not better???

On my own system I have not tried the Phoenix but had the same result where I preferred streaming than local files of the same albums with the AfterDark.

I think the main thing is to try and borrow if you are able.

For me the AfterDark relocks the stream in my case Qobuz because it is not able to re-clock from the SSD and only able to protect from noise, which is does. Which maybe why I prefer streaming.

YMMV

2 Likes

For your information.
Ansuz review

1 Like

Yes, I know that too.

Replied directly to post as posts have been moved between topics

I also have great respect for the noisy network connection. I prefer to leave them disconnected. I didn’t like Phoenix Net. The sound became even more direct and stressful. But just a matter of taste. I would or you should try Ansuz Switche. Also really expensive. There is also a good video on YouTube where they explain why investing in the Switch is more important than the Streamer. Grounding is also very important in the network. Should have a listen. Personally, I find Ansuz to be much more professional than Innuos, Melco, etc. It certainly goes very well with the pros from Antipodes.

My experience is: I started Ansuz switch from A2 over C2 to finally D2. I experienced no significant difference. So if a switch must be used then A2 could be a solution. But now I moved my router closer to my rack and now I connected my K50 directly to the router. Same performance as before. So I removed Ansuz. By the way I do have a good Internet performance and if I do music streaming no basic computer puts noise into the net.

1 Like

Can you post the link to the relevant youtube video?

1 Like

I wonder if the benefits of switches are network dependant as was suggested above. I preferred my K50 without my Innous Switch which I felt constrained the sound slightly. Wish we could experiment without shelling out larege amounts of £

1 Like

Moved to correct topic.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Antipodes Audio - Updated Range and Upgrade Program - July 2023

Please have a Look if all ist correct with the Link.

1 Like

It’s also not a very instructive video. But a bit.

Hmmm. OK. Ansuz would have been my last try. But I think you can hear a difference. Every switch in my system resulted in a difference in sound. But none of the switches made the sound more audiophile. Perhaps it was also the case with you that the different versions of Ansuz and the large amount of money that was invested did not bring the sound forward significantly. Not made audiophile. But I would also buy and connect the Ansuz products with their Ethernet cables. And then connect the cable to the ground and then listen and compare against offline operation.

Hello All,
Can we all decide what thread to use for network switches I think there is all ready one.
I am jumping around like a jumping jack trying to keep up with network switches.
Sorry to rant but this thread is about the new upgrades and not directed at any one in particular.
Hope you all understand.

1 Like

I agree with this. Thanks for mentioning it @clive101.

1 Like

@Vorrah have posted a response in the Network switch topic.

Hi @clive101 can you please remind me how your fibre/ethernet conversion is set up? I have tried really hard to make fibre work in my set up (because I too have a noisy home network) but…while it does definitely clean up the sound…the overall tonal balance subtly shifts and timing (incl. on sustain/decay) change in a way that is less natural to my ears / doesnt quite line up with my personal preferences (especially with acoustic instruments recorded in open, ambient acoustic spaces (eg concert halls) and I ulimately find it more fatiguing to listen to over longer periods. Would love to find a way to make it work.

@Vorrah in terms of your experience with PhoenixNet (PN) feeding K50 relative to other peoples, there are lots of variables eg 1) noise levels/condition &/or configuration of home network, 2) power cable used with PN, 3) is PN plugged into a power conditioner, if so which one, same as other components, on which power rail…digital vs analogue vs high power…sharing same ground as which other components?, 4) which version of K50 and digital output being used , 5)which ethernet cable being used including its lenth / distance to other network &/or hifi components, 6) what one values in terms of musical listening preferences eg as one of many examples…tonally soulful, warm, dense, or sweet vs dynamic, ultra trasparent, punchier etc…or many different shades between these generalized bookends…and the list of variables go on an on.

So really difficult to comment definitively without having some insights into what these variables are for any given context. All the more so because given the posts on this subject, many people appear to have very different experiences.

For my musical tastes and given how my system is configured/dialled in, my PN despite being expensive was worth it.