Buying Legacy products

I’m about to buy a pair of active streaming loudspeakers which are nice quality but not at an audiophile level. Music is sent to the system by a WiSA transmitter (24 bit/96 Hhz wireless) to the active speakers. As well as use Apple Music and Airplay 2, I intend to connect a storage device containing my ripped CDs, about 60% of which I ripped 20 years ago using EAC and Flac, the others I am vet to rip. I suspect that reclocking the data between storage and the WiSA device will provide an audible improvement in sound quality, but there is no practical way of checking this. before buying. Rather than spending several thousand USDs for a CD ripper and storage device when the rest of the system is valued at less than twice this, seems uneconomic. But it occurs to me that a traded in legacy Antipodes unit that performs these tasks to less than 2022 quality, might be a sensible way forward. I’d appreciate it if you would contact me about this.

Qobuz is the best way to solve the ripper and storage problem. It is possible to optimize around this and achieve excellent results.

The question I would have though is how much upfront goodness would be preserved with the WISA transmitter. I suspect it would be but the only way to know for sure is by dropping in a box. An older Antipodes sounds like a good approach especially if you are able to purchase it at a price that would allow you to flip it at no loss should it not deliver enough of a benefit for the money.

Yes, an older Antipodes is possibly the way forward.
I have about 120 CDs ripped using EAC and Flac. Not sure why Qobuz is the best solution for me except that I suppose I might find most of the them (a number are old recordings) and pay (a second time) and download them … or am I missing something?

I simply suggested Qobuz as an alternative to “spending several thousand USDs for a CD ripper and storage device” (which is a direct quote from your post).

Qobuz provides access to 90 million tracks - in CD quality or better. If I owned only 120 albums I’d be hugely salivating over the potential, but that’s me. Forgive me for putting forth the recommendation.

I have a whole bunch more I have not ripped, but point taken.
I was thinking that if I reclocked music going into the WiSA device I might end up with an audible improvement in sound quality, rather than them going pretty much directly from my internet router to the WiSA … but I’m really surmising.

An Antipodes server should boost sound quality over straight from router, but it’s more about low noise and high bandwidth. Reclocking is just one means to that end.

The need for precise clocking appears to be well recognised, and many discussions focus heavily on the clock used, but the effect of the clock on timing is only as good as the combined weaknesses of the clock, the re-clocking circuit, the circuit layout, the other electrical parts, and the power supply. The power supply has a huge impact on all digital circuits, because it is a major challenge for a power supply to deliver the required speed for high-power high-bandwidth processing, at the same time as keeping noise very low.”

More here: Design - Antipodes

I’ve printed that out but yet to read … thanks.
Setting up a system is not something I’ve done in many years as my work resulted in me living for periods in half a doz countries. I’m settled now and recently become an Apple Music subscriber (I have Apple products), but have frustrations. You recommended Qobus. I’m guessing you find it has advantages over others. I’d appreciate it if you’d briefly outline those for me … I mainly listen to pre 20th century music.

Qobuz and Tidal are the only two CD quality or better services that get proper support with Roon and Squeeze. I used to subscribe to both but eventually found that some of the MQA mastered stuff on Tidal sounded bad. Qobuz serves up unadulterated PCM, which I much prefer. Both have a free trial so you could kick the tires with each.

2 Likes

Thanks, will likely give qobuz a go toward end of my Apple sub period

1 Like