Connecting EX with a wifi client

Hi, I have moved my EX to a different part of the house where there is no wired ethernet. I bought a DPLink device and set it up as a ‘wifi client’. The description on the box indicates that this mode is for connecting devices without wifi. I tested and it works with a laptop. However when I connect to my EX it is not found on the network.

Are there any tips for getting this to work?

Are you using a laptop connected to the same TPLink client by Ethernet? This should work.
Or by wifi to your main router?
Sounds like there is a subnet situation where DHCP is still enabled on the client where the client is issuing IP addresses in it’s own range.
Disable DHCP on the client.
What is the model of TPLink?

Its a D-Link DAP-1360 Wireless Range Extender. It has 7 modes. I am using ‘Wireless Client’ to turn any wired-only Ethernet device wireless (exact words on the box).

I connected it via ethernet to the laptop for initial setup, during which I enter the wifi network and password.
After initial setup I tested it is working on the laptop by turning off wifi on the laptop. The laptop can get on the network fine. When plugged in all of the four green lights are on. I have no clue what any of th lights means since there is zero information in the manual.

The only option was automatics vs manual IP address. I left it on automatic as I would have no idea what manual IP address to use.

No Idea what DHCP is.

If of any help:
https://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/access-points-and-range-extenders/access-points/dap-series/dap-1320/dap-1360_configuration-repeater-mode

there are other video’s on YouTube if you want more

Did you get this working? This type of device is doing what is called bridging most likely. It would connect to the wifi and L2 pass through your wired port DHCP request to your router to get an IP address.

Post some screenshots of how you configured it.

No unfortunately I couldn’t get it working. I will need to do a screen sharing session with Antipodes, as I am stumped. The Wireless client works exactly as expected with a windows laptop, but there is something in the setup that stops it working with the EX. I will be testing another wifi streaming solution next week that might be a satisfactory work-around.

Try another ‘wired only’ ethernet device that is not a computer. When you use the laptop its software (eg. Windows) might be doing something to get a connection … that EX isn’t/can’t.