DSD512 playback with Squeeze

Antipodes had to jump through a number of hoops to ensure Squeeze would play PCM of up to 16FS (768k) without a plugin. I had been advocating for that as I upscaled over 500 of my albums to that sample rate using PGGB. I was immensely delighted to find that AMS 5.0 would make that possible without the use of the C-3PO plugin. To my surprise, another capability came along with it: the ability to play up to DSD512. Not being a fan of DSD because of how it seemed to smooth out transients, I figured that I wouldn’t personally benefit from this though.

It wasn’t long after learning this about Squeeze on Antipodes that PGGB gained the ability to output DSD. To my surprise, the PGGB-DSD512 retained all of the goodness of PGGB-16FS while also bringing greater naturalness and, in some cases, a reduction of harshness. And Squeeze plays these files flawlessly on a K50!

The following album had been one of the rare cases where I missed being able to play my vinyl copy. The CD, played natively paled in comparison. PGGB-16FS helped to bring richer colors and the liveliness of my recollection of the vinyl, but also had a tendency to play a little hot. While PGGB-16FS removed some of that tendency, I was still choosing to back off on the volume a tad bit, which was never the case with the vinyl. (This is a fun one to play loud. First time I heard it was at an audio show in a room hosted by Manley and Coincident. It sounded so lifelike that a bunch of us could help but applaud at the end of a track). Earlier I cranked up the PGGB-DSD512 version to around 82 dB on average and there wasn’t the slightest hint of harshness. It was wonderful!

Huge thanks to Antipodes for giving me a capability that I previously never imagined I would ever need - and timing its release perfectly.

5 Likes

I have a favor to ask of any Roon users who are either presently upscaling or thinking of some day doing so. Please register your vote for Roon to support DSD in 48K rates using the link that follows. The first post in the following explains it well, but with PGGB, it would result in tracks that began life in a multiple of 48k being invisible to Roon if upscaled to DSD. Odd that Roon omitted this as some less feature-packed apps (like Squeeze on Antipodes) can play these files.

1 Like