FRITZ!Box Router Settings

Given the amount of time and money devoted elsewhere in the system, the router still seems to me a neglected area. But replacing an ISP router, not easy, or at least not for me.

My ISP recently replaced my router with a FRITZBox one, and to be honest, I didn’t have any complaints.

However, on seeing this blog via WBF, led me to make some changes in the settings that have been a nice uptick.

Sharing in case others have the same make of router.

1 Like

Excellent point, but also quoted from the same page on the Grigg Audio website mentioned above please consider the following points:

Even though today’s routers offer many functions for multimedia , they are not audiophile enough for higher demands. This is due, among other things, to the modest hardware quality , which is also due to the relatively low price.
Some functions can worsen the sound. This newsletter is about how you can improve the sound by making simple changes to the router’s configuration. It costs nothing except a little effort

I genuinely believe that this router has the potential to be a good addition, and if I am not mistaken you must have paired it with an excellent LPS. I’m convinced that we need to consider a router as part of the broader audiophile network, which is why I had also shared this cautionary note from the same article on WBF.

So. thank you for your contribution. However, I’d like to share some thoughts on the actual importance of the audiophile network. It seems that, in reality, much of the focus on these networks might be irrelevant.

It reminds me of when we used to modify non-audiophile switches a decade ago. Although we’ve made significant progress, it’s perplexing that we still haven’t fully resolved the issue of noise affecting network streams, particularly impacting the performance of DACs. Why do we continue to hear differences when changing routers, switches, power or cables upstream?

Will it take another decade to develop an audiophile router that addresses these issues partially? It feels like we’re circling around the core problem: the router is just one part of the network and only one piece of the solution. I wish the network itself didn’t have such a significant impact on sound quality.

While there have been remarkable advancements in audio technology, the development of audiophile switches and potentially routers doesn’t seem to tackle the core issue. Is our current approach to streaming audio truly the best method available?

1 Like

Very much agree, but assume that part of the challenge is configuring a router for different ISPs? I would really like a better router, but in the meantime have tried to make the best of it with:

1. LPS
  2. Isolation/Vibration Control
  3. Grounding

The settings tweaks have helped further and are all reversible.

I may have another go at asking a supplier whether there are routers with better hardware, but the last time I didn’t get very far. It’s like a blind spot, all round.

Yes, the situation is indeed ISP-dependent, unlike an audiophile switch. It seems like we’re left with little choice. Manufacturers of filters, switches, and routers will likely continue their development for years to come, but I’d rather not invest any more in achieving a noise-free upstream for cleaner output at the DAC.

Maybe of interest for you in potential features of an audiophile router, I’d like to share the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4 here and noticed that Afterdark has modified it into a world premiere clocked audiophile router.

The MikroTik CRS305 router/switch has been discussed on this site as well. However, it still relies on different ISPs and the routerOS requires programming skills that I don’t possess. I’m already curious about the potential benefits of swapping SFP modules in the Fritzbox, but I acknowledge that again this might divert attention from the core issue.

Hi all, I’m active on the same WTB forum thread you mentioned and I totally agree with you.

Anyhow I tried those settings on my FritzBo! 5530, at least a few of them I was able to apply. It’s not detrimental at all, I’ve not noticed remarkable differences in sound quality though.

We definitely need a radical change as you suggest. In the meantime we definitely need a better alternative to ISP’ routers that the audio industry seems to not consider at all.

I heard improvements when I changed PSU and even its DC cable, or grounding the router. So I’m pretty sure, even routers matter.

Time will tell, keep in touch!

2 Likes

I agree with that. I also noticed extremely positive sound quality when I equipped the Fritz Repeater with a linear power supply and a very good DC cable. There are special routers, Taiko and Synergistic Research have some in their range. But I haven’t tried it myself yet.

1 Like

Until now I’ve seen only routers to be added in the chain to the existing main router. I’d like on the contrary an audiophile router as unique solution. In my case I built a separate network with its own ISP contract, router, line.

1 Like

Very much agree.

One thing though, for today, is also to check out what vibration control may do for your router, if you have anything to spare that may help with that.

None of these tips solve a fundamental problem, but, hey, who lives forever? :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not sure that is always the case. I’m in Australia. When I configured Milrotik CRS 305 as router I was surprised to discover there were no special ISP settings.

Did I send you the settings previously? Admittedly it doesn’t include firewall settings.
Screenshot_20240908_113207_Microsoft 365 (Office)|382x500

While I dont have that router, I have put my router on aTranquility POD, with a FEQ very nearby, the router and POD and ethernet cables are all grounded to a SR passive ground block. I am yet to improve DC power cables and supplies.

The network is a puzzle. Even stuff not enroute to audio makes a difference. From my router I have fibre to a FMC, then a generic cable to Wifi Access Point for the household (and roon remote). I changed the generic cable from several metres of Cat 5e UTP to 1m 6a UTP just to tidy up, and was very pleasantly surprised.

1 Like