JPLAY on Antipodes

Has anyone had further feedback on using Squeeze+Jplay or Squeeze+Roon(player)?

Although my current configuration of Squeeze+LMS/Material sounds great, but I can no longer live with the UI/UX. At this point, if one of those above-mentioned options sound as good as the Squeeze+LMS combo, then I’ll pay for it. If not, then I guess its time to sell my K21 G4.

Any input is appreciated.

Hi, you would be better off using MinimServer and MPD with JPLAY, assuming you are on the Apple platform.
JPLAY give a 14 day free trial…

I use Squeeze + LMS with JPLAY and like it very much. The sound is basically the same as Squeeze+LMS/Material as far as I can hear. I admit that I have not listened to MinimServer and MPD with JPLAY for a while now but the last time I did I preferred Squeeze + LMS with JPLAY.

I still go back to Squeeze + LMS with Material (as opposed to Jplay) when I need to listen to a BBC Radio 3 concert from their recorded catalogue of concerts via BBC Sounds but that is for no other reason than because no other option can play the BBC Sounds app (including Roon).

Thanks much, MC and NB. I’ll give that combo a shot.

Does Jplay have a lifetime subscription option like that of Roon? I didn’t see it on its website.

Appears to be an annual subscription

https://jplay.app/pricing

Hey NB…hopeful all is well. Would you mind sharing how to use Jplay with Squeeze+LMS? Not sure how to set that up. For now, I am able to use Jplay with MPD/Squeeze server as the Playback method and Squeeze as the server.

For now, I am using Jplay + MPD/Mini server. Oh…with the latest Jplay, I’m able to setup BBC3 in the app, fwiw.

Thanks,

Ken

How do you set up Radio 3 in the app? I can’t find a URL – BBC deliberately makes this difficult to push listeners to use BBC Sounds…

https://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio=320000.m3u8

That’s wonderful, thank you.

1 Like

Thank you, Paul. I’m familiar with using LMS/Material/ipeng – coming from Innuos Sense, just not a fan of Material’s functional features, but it does sound quite good.

Bases on a few postings here, had thought Jplay would work with Squeeze/LMS; however, as Jplay is a UPnP app, guess that it won’t.

Did you give it a listen?

The LMS/Material combo? Yes. I like its sound.

The Jplay and MPD/Minimserver combo is still being tested.

Try preset Squeeze. The only server app running on the Antipodes is Squeeze, the only player app is Squeeze and that is what JPLAY sees.

‘Material’ is only a skin for Squeeze, not a player btw.

It is possible that certain bitrates or hires files will not play, I did not try all formats. @kennyb123 and @NickBacon can not play PGGB for example, is my understanding.

Thanks much, Paul. I’ve been playing with those settings, but are not able to get any sound.

This is what I would do to have any of the presets work within JPLAY :

Ensure the (Squeeze) preset is set up correctly so that only the server and player for the combination you are trying are properly selected.

Try temporarily disabling all other services in JPLAY to isolate the issue.

Confirm that all player settings in JPLAY are unchecked.

Make sure there are no other control apps or tabs open, including on different devices.

After making changes, close and reopen JPLAY.

If you’ve recently installed the UPnP plugin, it’s crucial to reboot LMS.

Additionally, reboot LMS or JPLAY again and possibly the K21.

You’re on the right track! It appears there’s a missing link regarding the renderer. Hopefully, someone else will be able to assist as well.

2 Likes

@PaulW fwiw, still no luck.

@MarkCole is it possible to for Jplay to control Squeeze/Squeeze? So far, I can get Jplay to work with both MPD/Minimserver and MPD/Squeeze. Thanks

I saw this here:
PARTNERS - JPLAY

To enable JPLAY on an Antipodes the client must select the pre-set of MinimServer with MPD. Products with this combination are:
OLADRA, KALA K50, KALA K22, KALAK21, K41

Looks like JPlay don’t support Squeeze
There is a forum there and maybe some one there may help?

1 Like

I’ve had JPLAY for iOS controlling Squeeze on my Oladra but for whatever reason I hadn’t been using JPLAY for a while so I have just repeated the process of setting everything up so that JPLAY can control Squeeze/Squeeze on an Antipodes.

First select Squeeze / Squeeze as the Solutions Dashboard.

Open the Squeeze server app in Material and go the the Settings / Manage Plug Ins menu. Activate the two UPnP Plug Ins and confirm they are now in the active plug ins list.

Open the JPLAY for iOS app and in settings click the button that says ‘SEARCH DEVICES’. It should find the Server and Player similar to this screen shot of my JPLAY.

You should be prompted to Syc the Libraries.

Having done that it should work and play music. It did for me just 5 minutes ago. Hope this helps.

2 Likes