JPLAY on Antipodes

Hey NB…hopeful all is well. Would you mind sharing how to use Jplay with Squeeze+LMS? Not sure how to set that up. For now, I am able to use Jplay with MPD/Squeeze server as the Playback method and Squeeze as the server.

For now, I am using Jplay + MPD/Mini server. Oh…with the latest Jplay, I’m able to setup BBC3 in the app, fwiw.

Thanks,

Ken

How do you set up Radio 3 in the app? I can’t find a URL – BBC deliberately makes this difficult to push listeners to use BBC Sounds…

https://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio=320000.m3u8

That’s wonderful, thank you.

1 Like

Thank you, Paul. I’m familiar with using LMS/Material/ipeng – coming from Innuos Sense, just not a fan of Material’s functional features, but it does sound quite good.

Bases on a few postings here, had thought Jplay would work with Squeeze/LMS; however, as Jplay is a UPnP app, guess that it won’t.

Did you give it a listen?

The LMS/Material combo? Yes. I like its sound.

The Jplay and MPD/Minimserver combo is still being tested.

Try preset Squeeze. The only server app running on the Antipodes is Squeeze, the only player app is Squeeze and that is what JPLAY sees.

‘Material’ is only a skin for Squeeze, not a player btw.

It is possible that certain bitrates or hires files will not play, I did not try all formats. @kennyb123 and @NickBacon can not play PGGB for example, is my understanding.

Thanks much, Paul. I’ve been playing with those settings, but are not able to get any sound.

This is what I would do to have any of the presets work within JPLAY :

Ensure the (Squeeze) preset is set up correctly so that only the server and player for the combination you are trying are properly selected.

Try temporarily disabling all other services in JPLAY to isolate the issue.

Confirm that all player settings in JPLAY are unchecked.

Make sure there are no other control apps or tabs open, including on different devices.

After making changes, close and reopen JPLAY.

If you’ve recently installed the UPnP plugin, it’s crucial to reboot LMS.

Additionally, reboot LMS or JPLAY again and possibly the K21.

You’re on the right track! It appears there’s a missing link regarding the renderer. Hopefully, someone else will be able to assist as well.

2 Likes

@PaulW fwiw, still no luck.

@MarkCole is it possible to for Jplay to control Squeeze/Squeeze? So far, I can get Jplay to work with both MPD/Minimserver and MPD/Squeeze. Thanks

I saw this here:
PARTNERS - JPLAY

To enable JPLAY on an Antipodes the client must select the pre-set of MinimServer with MPD. Products with this combination are:
OLADRA, KALA K50, KALA K22, KALAK21, K41

Looks like JPlay don’t support Squeeze
There is a forum there and maybe some one there may help?

1 Like

I’ve had JPLAY for iOS controlling Squeeze on my Oladra but for whatever reason I hadn’t been using JPLAY for a while so I have just repeated the process of setting everything up so that JPLAY can control Squeeze/Squeeze on an Antipodes.

First select Squeeze / Squeeze as the Solutions Dashboard.

Open the Squeeze server app in Material and go the the Settings / Manage Plug Ins menu. Activate the two UPnP Plug Ins and confirm they are now in the active plug ins list.

Open the JPLAY for iOS app and in settings click the button that says ‘SEARCH DEVICES’. It should find the Server and Player similar to this screen shot of my JPLAY.

You should be prompted to Syc the Libraries.

Having done that it should work and play music. It did for me just 5 minutes ago. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks much, @NickBacon . I’ll give it a try tonight. Btw…under your prescribed settings, are you streaming and/or playing from local? I stream only from Tidal.

@justaute I hardly ever stream and mostly play locally stored files from the Oladra ssd.

@justaute I have just added Qobuz to the JPLAY libraries but no music through that route I’m afraid. Now that I think about it that might have been mentioned to me before. (This all still with using the Squeeze server and player, just for completeness).

1 Like

That makes sense. Even after following your set-up directions, I still couldn’t get it to work with Squeeze/Squeeze for streaming. It seems streaming through that combination is the issue. Very much appreciated your help.

I have to admit, I oldfashionly mostly play local files—probably my mistake :blush: . Whenever someone raves about having heard an amazing track or album, my first question is always, “Was it local or streaming?” Not this time.

Yesterday, on AS, I said to you :
“I initially misunderstood—I think you were trying to compare the sound signature of JPLAY for iOS with Material, rather than focusing on different player and server setups. Fortunately, we can actually compare all of them!” But you’re right, although they do look the same, the second album won’t play with the Squeeze preset.

Changes in JPLAY for audio output and libraries don’t sync with the Antipodes server. Often, tracks play in silence unless I switch to a different preset and then back to Squeeze. Switching with other server apps open (see image above) doesn’t always work either. For instance, with MPD active, JPLAY may prompt “Renderer not connected” even though the track advances, but there’s no sound. This back-and-forth gets confusing and frustrating, though it might not be an issue once settled for one preset.

I remember Nick asking once in this forum for their suggested settings for LMS + Squeezelite for best sound quality, having an Antipodes reply instantly here. Since @MarkCole /Antipodes recently promoted the JPLAY annual subscription here, maybe he also could guide us on how to set it up properly and easily switch between the server presets in a consistent way?

Possible new thread: JPLAY integration
IMG_0475

1 Like