K50 clock output

Hi Mark, is it a master (10mz) or word clock (variable frequency according to track being played)? I was advised that it is a word clock and thus unsuitable for e.g. clocking a switch with clock inputs

Isn’t it clearly marked on the back panel?

In fact it is “word”. But Mark wrote “master” and I wanted to confirm

1 Like

Ah yes I should have looked at the post you were replying to.

I believe that word clocks can be referred to as master clocks as well.

The 10Mhz clocks are actually “reference” clocks.

Understood, Thanks l

Just to get some clarity on the Word Clock output on the K22: I have an Audio GD DAC which has an input (50 Ohms) for an external 10MHz clock. I don’t understand the terminology differences regarding clocks (Word, Master, Slave, Reference), but in a nutshell can the Word Clock output on the K22 be connected with a 50 Ohm BNC cable to the 10 MHz clock input on my DAC?

Many thanks.

No. A word clock operates at the fundamental sample rate of the music (44.1k or 48k). A reference clock operates only at a fixed frequency of 10 MHz.

When you use SPDIF, the word clock is travels down the same cable as the data. There are a small number of DACs that have a separate word clock input that allows it to come in independently.

2 Likes

Bumping this
Has anyone successfully managed to make use of this clock out from K50 in any scenario ?

The answer is yes, if your Word Clock input on the DAC is able to be set in Slave mode.
The Word Clock output on all Antipodes devices is a Master.

1 Like

Just to add, I would love future Antipodes to have word clock inputs for both 44.1khz, 48khz and their multiples.

I buy into the idea of master word clock being millimeters within the electronics of the dac that is possible with my DenafripsTerminator Plus DE with upgraded high quality oxco where sources like my Avatar cdp and Hermes ddc are synced to via separate clock and i2s cables.

Until then, it is Antipodes usb output to my Hermes ddc to strip off clock signal and have i2s to my Terminator Plus DE. Same of the AES output my beloved Bel Canto FM1 and all other sources without clock input and/or i2s output to the Hermes ddc.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Is the Master word clock output 10mhz 50 ohm?

It’s not 10 mhz. It’s a word clock so the frequency is synchronous with the sample rate of the song that’s playing.

1 Like

I still haven’t found a single poster anywhere on the internet who has successfully made use of this clock output of the K50.

Reviving this thread. I have an Esoteric D03 DAC inbound which has a Word Clock input. It seems to me that I can connect this to the Word Clock output on my K22.

The Esoteric manual states that this DAC input requires a 75 ohm cable. Can I happily assume that the Word Clock out on the K22 is also 75 ohms?

This info doesn’t appear to be on the K22 page.

Rare to see a DAC that can support this, but it seems yours does. The clock would be delivered by using any of the synchronous outputs on the reclocker, but sometimes separating it out can be beneficial, though I have never read of anyone doing this with an Antipodes server. Worth trying if you have the right cable, and yes, I believe it should be 75 ohms.

For what it’s worth, here’s my tuppence. In my previous systems, I have found that having a master clock (either separate or using one of the units) makes a big difference in terms of tightening the overall pace, rhythm & timing, better holographic imaging, and creating a bigger sound stage (both width and depth). I’ve just taken delivery of my dCS Bartok DAC specifically because it has a clock input. I tested the following:

1. AQ WEL SPDIF with synchronous clocking
  2. AQ WEL SPDIF with K50 as master clock, using a Mogami BNC 75 ohm clock cable
  3. CAD II USB cable with Bartok as master clock

2 and 3 were both much better that 1 which was quite a flat sound. 2 and 3 were close. With my cables, my preference is for 2 as, for me, it is a more balaced sound across the whole of the hamornic range. However, I’m sure that you could experiment with different cables to make either your preference, depending on your views on USB v digital cables. I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Single Master high quality oxco clock especially within the DAC for final processing and i2s without limitation of spdif and usb is the way to go ! Unfortunately my cx and ex stack has either direct i2s from ex player or clock input :frowning: