K50 Manage Storage Does Not Find Disk

I received a K50 today. During the set-up process, following the video guide, I installed a Samsung 870 EVO SATA III SSD 1TB 2.5” Internal Solid State Hard Drive.

The K50 does not find the disk.

I powered down the K50 using the front button, and turned off the power on the back of the unit. Powered up and restarted the K50. Same result. Repeated the process several times.

Also, it’s extremely hard to remove the SSD. In fact, I had to use pliers to pull it out.

Please assist. Thank you.

I went through the same thing with my K30. It had to be sent in for repair as it seemed that the SATA board might have failed. @MarkCole had me pop the lid first though just confirm all the cables were properly seated as they can come loose in shipping. Your best bet is to reach out to him.

All K series devices include a SSD removal tool in the accessory box, made specifically for pulling SSDs out, pliers should not be required.

As far as the drive not showing up, is the drive new?
Has it been firmly seated while the unit is off.

Please email support@antipodes.audio

1 Like

The ssd removal tool is the best accessory ever!

1 Like

When I had to pull the drives from my K30, I struggled to use my fingers to pull it. So I looked in the manual to see if there was a provision to eject it somehow. Ultimately I put some masking tape on the ends of a pair of pliers to minimize damage to the case of my SSDs.

I had maybe seen the SSD removal tool when I first looked in the accessory box but as there was nothing in there that I needed I just placed it back in the box. It never occurred to me to look in there for a tool.

Kudos to @Progisus for spotting the tool. His mention of it on HeadFi the other day was the first I thought I heard of it.

My SSDs only a bit scratched so no big deal.

1 Like

Yes! I remember when I received my K50 finding that tool, but had no idea what it was until I called my dealer and asked :slight_smile:

1 Like

I took the lid off…Even then it was awkward. All’s well though!!

I’ve ordered a K50 and in anticipation I would like to order a sata ssd
Seems everyone is using the 870 evo or qvo
My understanding is the single pro is most reliable the dual evo is next and the quad qvo is least reliable please enlighten me with your results! Thanks in advance Marc

I went with the EVO - 860 in my case as the 870 wasn’t available yet. The reviews of the PRO never won me over to selecting it over the EV0. I ruled out the QVO as I didn’t want to go with the least reliable option.

Thanks Ken!!!

1 Like

@marcmccalmont I have been using three 4TB 860 EVO for just over a year with my K50 without issues (I have told you elsewhere but repeat here for the benefit of others). It is worth mentioning that I keep a complete copy of all my ripped / bought music on a drive attached to my computer in case of a catastrophic loss on the K50.

Thanks Nick
With my Aurender I’ve been ripping and storing on my computer with dbpoweramp.
The data is backed up on another drive.
After researching ssd’s I decided on the more expensive and more reliable 860 pro, mostly for peace of Mind. They should be compatible. Marc

I think reliability is overrated if you have a backup. Whilst everyone talks about reliability, I hear no talk about actual failures. In 20 years of hard drives, I’ve had one failure, not the end of the world. Overstated issue IMHO, life is short…

I think it comes down to the value one places on their time. Restoring a backup takes time. It does also carry with it some risks, albeit small ones. I was happy to pay a bit more for better reliability as an insurance policy to avoid the hassle.

Had the same issue and learned to turn off my VPN - located immediately. You can then turn the VPN back on to work with both server and player.

I also use a VPN. If I wish to use My Antipodes to access server and/or player dashboards, I do need to disconnect the VPN. If you bookmark the IP addresses or directly enter them into your browser in lieu of My Antipodes, I do not need to disconnect my VPN.

2 Likes