Kala K50 G4, will I2S HDMI be better than USB

I’m new to the Antipodes family with my recent purchase of a K50, I’m totally blown away by the performance using USB to my DAC, but will a I2S HDMI cable of similar quality to my USB cable give me better SQ. I own a PS Audio DirectStream mk2 and it is known that the I2S and USB inputs are equal in SQ, so given this fact will I2S be better than USB when output from a K50?

I recall seeing other PS Audio owners stating a preference for I2S on other forums. You never know though if they performed a true apples to apples comparison. Your best bet is to try to obtain a demo cable and listen for yourself. If you are in the US, the Cable Company has a large lending library. But first confirm that the K50’s I2S is compatible with your DAC. If you search this forum you should find a post from Mark with recommended I2S settings for different DACs.

1 Like

All Antipodes servers are sent from factory at PS Audio pin config for DSD.
The new USB in G4 KALA is a significant step up.
As kennyb says, the only way to know whats best for you in your home, ears etc is to test it.

1 Like

I was under the impression the upgrades brought USB up to the standard we are used to with other digital connections. It’s unclear from your statement here if this is indeed the case or do you think USB now outperforms the others? (of course given the receiving DAC is equally performing on its inputs)

This statement is correct for the KALA range, but as you mention it is DAC dependent.

1 Like