MPD Assistance K50

Do try Squeeze server with Squeeze player on the K50. For me that is by far the best sound i have heard with the K50 so far. From what i have read i also get the feeling that although Antipodes have included various options on the K50 they also have the same view.

For instance i find mpd to have an initial wow factor but prolonged listen reveals that Squeeze/Squeeze wins through with superior subtle detail and is less brash.

Also try different outputs to connect to the dac. That will probably be influenced by the dac and the sampling rate of the files you are playing but it is certainly worth experimenting.

1 Like

Hi Nick. Thanks for interest in this topic. This has been discussed on other forums as well with no consensus. As with those who claim fuses change the sound, I do not have any technical proof. “Ridiculous” is a pretty strong word to use and if there is no merit in my use case then why say it will be implemented in the next AMS upgrade? If the path is truly from the server computer over the short internal ethernet to the player computer when using mconnect then there is no need. Maybe Antipodes could supply confirmation from mconnect of signal routing. Back to the :notes:.

I do like Squeeze and, of late, it has been the software of choice when using K50 AES/EBU and USB outputs.

1 Like

I appreciate you standing your ground on this. There can certainly be some underlying complexities that aren’t obvious.

When we use a Server and Player, MPD is acting as a client to a UPnP server. It looks like it has to do some translation to make that happen. If MPD is run on a single box, it can be a much simpler operation as MPD is just reading from the local file system to access the files. With so much less overhead, there could very well be a nice bump in sound quality. Essentially what one ends up with is a single server running a lightweight server and player. This is a common MPD use case. I think my older Pono DAP ran MPD. My Chord Poly can run in this mode too and easily the best sound quality can be achieved when accessing tracks off the SD card.

2 Likes

Like this? Still works and not shown are several signatures from Prog gods obtained on Cruise To The Edge. Thanks…

Nice! Mine is black - no signatures but plenty of scratches.

I am pretty sure it runs MPD. I spent many hours enjoying music though mine.

1 Like

Somehow I think things have got misunderstood in this thread.
What is ridiculous is the music file moving thru the Remote control device, that simply does not happen.
It’s the difference in the file being pushed or pulled in simple terms.
Running in block mode rather than streaming mode has merit, hence its implementation in the next version of AMS.
So @Progisus feel justified in your setup.

2 Likes

Hi,
Sometimes an update could make a difference. You never know? Good luck.

https://www.musicpd.org

Hi there, we are awaiting the update to be made available to us, apparently moving from where we are now to the latest requires much code compiling.
This isnt something that is going to happen quickly unfortunately.