New K50 G4 vs. K50 v2 (G3) - impression after the upgrade

What if… everyone just picked the player that they think sound best in their system and with their OWN ears?
I don´t think it has to be any harder than that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They are doing this while also telling us what they picked and why. I find it interesting to hear this.

1 Like

I agree with you. But I have through the years found it very difficult to “translate” one persons experience to my own preference and set up.

1 Like

[quote=“Bigblue, post:63, topic:1780”]
But I have through the years found it very difficult to “translate” one persons experience to my own preference and set up.
[/quote] That may be true for you, or even for most, but not consistently so for me. I have heard things described by others with very different systems & ears that resonate with me, and plenty of other things that don’t. Someone a long time ago suggested bass traps. i tried them and the impact was totally revelatory. I could just said i like my system as it is and it suits my preferences/my ears and left it at that and not tried something new/different. How much less rich my experience of this hobby and my passion & love for music would have been had i done that. I love the fact that the exchange of ideas and the polite but robust debate that follows promotes learning and knowledge. I also love the fact that this forum/medium promotes that as well as providing very handy/practical tips to address/resolve technical issues. In the spirit of openess and the promotion of progress, everyone should say what they want to say and be open to ideas or challenges that come back. And if others are bored/frustrated by this exchange, then there’s also i guess the genuine choice not to engage in the discourse.

2 Likes

It lets us know in whose footsteps we might want to follow and in whose we might not want to because our preferences diverge too greatly.

1 Like

I have been listening to your comments about the K50 G4 vs. K50 G2 (G3). This worries me. I have a K50 G2, and I am not going for the G4 at all. First, I have to fork over $6000 and ship the K50 to New Zealand. Then it may result in worse sound. This sounds a bad proposition! I will wait for the updates until the G2 can be traded for a different unit. The dealer who sold this unit did not disclose info. about the model no.

1 Like

I have heard the difference myself and I think the G4 upgrade brought a massive improvement. It’s been two weeks since it was delivered and the last few nights I’ve been even more amazed as there have been further improvements. The improved clarity is allowing me to hear things I never heard before without even trying to. Tones are rich, full of color and stunningly pure. I’m hearing low bass that wasn’t even hinted at with the G2.

7 Likes

The price includes freight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kennyb123 , did I correctly understand that these listening impressions are from your K30, now G4, as I recall you mentioning that you have a K30, or is it from a loaner K50 G4?

All my comments in this thread pertained to a K50. I have yet to upgrade my K30.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m currently on the brink of purchasing a K30 (optional G4 upgrade in 2024) and would greatly appreciate your insights. Considering your personal preferences, priorities, and specific requirements, regardless of budget constraints, which model would you advise based on their unique features and performance attributes? While the K30 G4 stands out with its notably superior PSU and potential BIOS advancements, the K50 G2 or G3 might offer distinct strengths and qualities of their own. Given the choice between the K30 G4 and the K50 G2, which would you recommend? Alternatively, do you maybe believe it’s not worth considering the K30 or K30 G4 due to the superiority of the K50 series?

What I’m hearing from the G4 upgrade of the K50 is what I would call a “game changer”, so I would consider the G4 a “must have”.

An advantage of the K50 G2 is, of course, the upgrade path. Since the K50 is still in their lineup, maybe down the road there might even be another upgrade offered. But also I believe Antipodes will stop offering the G4 upgrade so you might not want to miss out on this - though used prices should drop on non-G4 models once they pull this.

A potential advantage of the K30 G4 is that it will have the better power supply. As Antipodes is now focused on software, the gains might be better appreciated on the G4 models as these are quieter and better able to meet the demands of the music.

2 Likes

That is cisappointing that the dealer was not transparent. If you have concerns about this and you havent already, you should share details with Antipodes.

I have dealt directly with Antipodes (being NZ based myself), and have found them to be a high integrity outfit. as such can’t imagine that they would be happy having a dealer(s) represent their brand & products who dont reflect/subscribe to the same set of values.

Wrongly or rightly I’m wondering whether this experience has tainted your views/made your disposition negative to upgrades at further cost.

What i do know first hand is this…I bought my first Antipodes server in 2013… a DS i think it was called at the time. Since then i’ve owned a 4 further models (ie 5 in toatal) two of which i have had upgrades added. Each new model has consistently been much better than the previous with the most significant jump between my CX/EX combo and my K50 ( which i currently own).

The K50 upgrade to G4 was worth it for me but definitely not as significant as the step up from the CX/EX.

Given all this history with Antipodes and my consistent experience of improvements, i can (budgets permitting) buy upgrades / consider new models with confidence, and without trying to second guess whether i will be dispointed. i am open to/listen with interest to others who are not satisfied and who have posted negative feedback… but at the end of the day one’'s own long hisory with mutiple differend products/upgrades and consistently improving experience is hard to displace.

And as I’ve posted before, i genuinely cannot (based on my own system, ear, prefrences and aformentioned experiences) make sense of the disappointments that been been registerd over K50 G4 upgrades.

And for the record, I am (at least I like to think) a highly discerning consumer and definitely not anybody’s fan boy. For what any of this is worth, hope it helps, noting that even without the G4 upgrade you already own and can/should enjoy an absolutely world class product.

4 Likes

I have just ordered the upgrade to G4 on my K50 G3 - looking forward to it :grinning:

atb, Tom

2 Likes

OLADRA and KALA model upgrades, to the current G4 specification, will continue to be available till end August 2024.

1 Like

Does that mean that autumn 2024 Antipodes will launch G5?

2024 is focused on software developments, introducing an entire new software stack in stages, delivering enhanced playback options and performance improvements.

@PaulW You have been doing an excellent job of digging out quotes. Super-helpful!

Of course! It’s my pleasure! I vaguely do recall that first it was (the end of?) 2024, so it might be worthwhile to revisit to ensure you don’t miss the opportunity.
And thank you @kennyb123 for assisting me in my contemplation regarding the G4 upgrade.

1 Like

Might I ask what you are planning to do?