Power Distribution and Conditioning

I own an Isotek EVO 3 Nova & my initial ‘on demo’ impressions of that weren’t great either. However after some experimentation, I found that replacing the units spikes with for 3 x Harmonic Resolution System Nimbus assemblies & literally covering the top plate with 6 x HRS damping plates made a profound difference to its performance (there are no vents on the top plate, so no issues there).

Clearly in the location in which it needs to sit the EVO 3 was suffering very badly from vibration & far more than any previous mains conditioners I’ve owned, though I did demo a unit from another manufacturer whose top plate rang like a biscuit tin with the lightest of taps. With that particular unit in place my system (at the time) sounded the worst I’d ever heard it, so it’s fairly safe to assume that was being similarly affected. The overall build quality of that unit was abysmal anyway (I’ll avoid naming the brand though, just in case someone on this forum is unfortunate enough to actually own one).

I’m not suggesting you might need to go to quite the extremes I did, but in my case I happened to have the HRS couplers & damping plates knocking about anyway. If I hadn’t had them I’d probably have just continued my search for an alternative mains conditioner. I definitely wasn’t happy with what I was hearing to start off with.

The difference the damping made to what’s already quite an expensive mains conditioner was truly enormous though & probably the most difference HRS couplers & damping plates have made to any component I’ve ever used them on.

Thanks for your thoughts…

Things have improved since that post and it now sounds more in line with what I was hoping for. I disconnected everything, relocated the unit and then reconnected and that helped, plus another week or so saw things improve. The unit is on the floor and whilst I have isolation on everything else, I never thought about the mains conditioner, definitely one for future investigation.

Another point was I had ignored one of my golden rules which is never to assume that the best speaker location will be the same following any system changes. The sound profile changed and required a review of speaker positioning. I found that from pre-Puritan to post, the sound was much better moving the speakers a little closer and a little further apart. All part of the fun…

1 Like

Good move. It has been my experIence that power conditioners can benefit tremendously from proper resonance control.

1 Like

Chilli - I agree that proper resonance isolation of power conditioners makes a big difference. My Synergistic Research SX Powercell sits on Ansuz DTC-Footers. The difference they make is scary. Have also added a Synergistic Research Active Grownd Block so can now ground the Power Conditioner - anotehr step up.

2 Likes

I bought a PSM 156 with Schuko outlets recently along with a Schuko Siltech mains lead. The PSM 156 was the Audio Consultants version with the Furutech connectors.
I’m in the UK BTW

A well worthwhile investment.

2 Likes

Just to add to the positive reports of the Puritan Audio PSM156, I got to try one when my Audioquest Niagara 7000 started to misbehave (which I’m sure is very unusual). Replacing the Niagara with the PSM156 was quite a shock, as initial impressions suggested that it may well be superior, with greater ‘openness’.

But even to suggest that it is close to the Niagara (which may not be everyone’s first choice) suggests that the PSM156 is one of the greatest bargains in audio today. Really worth an audition if you can.

1 Like

All of the Puritan gear is great value. The 156 is a bargain. I had a very early version of the 136 that I ordered directly from them but swapped it for the 156.

I’ve just bought a Connected Fidelity AC 2K 240V balanced mains transformer that feeds the PSM 156. I’m very happy with it, as it has evened out the variation in my mains supply quality. I live in a heavily built up area in Central London so the mains quality is very variable at different times of the day and night.

Although I’ve got Furutech power cables throughout I’ve recently ordered a Puritan Audio Labs Ultimate Mains cable to go from the wall to the balanced transformer as I’m intrigued by it’s design. I can always return it if it doesn’t work out after burn in.

Hi Alex, do let us know when the cable arrives how you get on with it.

Like you, I had a SX Powercell (powered with their top of the line SRX power cable). This was my second unit, since my initial Powercell SX had some quality issues and was returned to factory. This second unit was personally signed on the top glass by SR’s owner Ted Denney.
When I tested the KECES IQRP-3600, costing at least 10 times less than my Synergistic Research setup, I could not believe on my ears. The dynamics, the sound projection, the musicality of my all system (including LG OLED TV) improved dramatically.
On the next day the Powercell SX and the SRX power cables were listed for sale at Audio Markt (Germany).
I strongly recommend you to try the Keces in your system.

LGA

Interesting feedback regarding the Keces conditioner. I note it has a large transformer - do you get any hum/vibration or iis the transformer well isolated. Reason I ask is I have a Grado Aeon 111 cartridge on my turntable, in the next rack to my power conditioner, and as a moving iron cartridge it is very sensitive to RFI noise?

Hi.
Sorry for the late reply but I can say that I’m extremely happy with the Puritan Audio Labs Ultimate cable that now feeds my Puritan 156.

When I ordered it I was a bit sceptical about how it would perform, alongside my more expensive Furutech cables, and was prepared to be disappointed… But apart from the amazing sonic benefits the cable brings, it’s such a relief not having to deal with yet another heavy duty inflexible cable at the back of my equipment rack. It’s so very slinky for such a heavy duty cable. I did replace the supplied UK plug and C19 IEC with Furutech copper versions though, and I’ve found them a worthwhile replacement, but you could happily live with the cable with the plug/connector supplied.

I think I’ll audition two more Ultimate cables to feed my REL sub & PASS Labs X25 power amp as the design seems to work very well in providing clean power to high current components.

2 Likes

I just ordered me a K50. Very excited to get it and try it out. One concern of mine is power outages. We suffer about 5 outages per year ranging from seconds to hours. Page 1 of the users guide cautions against removing the power cord before shut down is complete.

How does the K50 handle power outages? Will it recover ok? Does it start back up on its own once the power is restored?

My power goes out a few times each year. Often the way I can know that an outage occurred is that I find my Antipodes server powered off. No issues have occurred as a result of this.

Two things provide peace of mind: a good backup strategy and the knowledge that Antipodes will provide excellent support should something go wrong

I would recommend backup(s) of your music. I have experienced multiple power outages without issue, but last one impacted music on my K50 SSD where no longer showing. Working with Mark on a remote session, he found the SSD data showing as corrupted. I successfully reloaded music from a backup, but then ordered another SSD, installed, and loaded music out of caution concern the original SSD might have life impacted. I have kept the original SSD as another backup. For a number of years I had an old APC “audiophile” battery backup in place, but even after replacing battery, the unit stopped working. I have not replaced it, but have ordered a Puritan Audio Labs unit for further system protection.