Power outage when playing

I know you should not turn off the K22 with the back switch until first putting it in standby. Last night we had a power outage in the neighborhood while I was listening to my K22. Would this cause any issues for my k22?

I think you should be fine. We have power outages frequently and my K21 just reboots.

Thanks for your comment. I think so as well, but was a little nervous. :slight_smile:

I just ordered a Furman F1500-UPS. This is a battery backup unit built for audio gear. My intention is to first try it on my entire front end stereo system- ie the K50, DAC, preamps and network switches. I will plug this unit into the wall and plug my Niagara 5000 into the Furman UPS. The Furman is rated for 13 amps. Should be sufficient for powering the front end gear. If I detect sound degradation, then I will plug only the K50, DAC and network switches directly into the Furman F1500-UPS.

This Furman UPS has some power conditioning. It also outputs a pure sine wave when in battery backup operation. Power from the wall flows through directly under normal, powered operating conditions. I do not intend to listen to music during a power outage. My amps will still be plugged directly into the wall. My intent is to protect the K50 and DAC from surges and our frequent but brief power interruptions. This summer seems to be worse than ever for brief power interruptions lasting from a second to a few hours. I have rushed to cut power to my system several times now the past couple of weeks and left it powered down for a couple of days more than twice now this summer.

I will feel better when my K50 and DAC are protected from these frequent and sometimes brief power interruptions. Best for both the DAC and K50 to be left powered on- as well as the network switches. Anyone else had to find a similar solution?

I suffer quite frequent power outages here & have so far & fingers crossed have never had a problem. I strongly suspect you’d be more susceptible to an issue if you experienced a power outage whilst shutting down or booting up.

I’d also add that the multiple spikes caused when the auto breakers continually try to reconnect isn’t exactly desirable either (far from it). In my case & although I thought it might have a detrimental effect on sound quality I fitted an active RCD socket outlet. Much to my delight it did not, however that’s with my particular mains conditioning & I can’t guarantee it will have the same results with your own…Active RCD’s (Residual current devices) trip when earth leakage is detected, but also trip when no voltage is present. Ie when subjected to a power outage.

Basically it means that when the auto breakers on the high voltage lines re-set along with the hideously high spikes that also occur when doing so, any equipment connected to an ACTIVE RCD has already been disconnected & therefore not subjected to those harmful spikes/surges.

We had three outages during one week in June. The first one was bad. The power cycled on/off two or three times quickly. Fortunately, I was near my stereo and I jumped to the power conditioner and hit the master switch right after the first disruption. It was windy that day. So that got me thinking about a battery backup solution. After researching, I was looking at the Furman UPS power conditioner and a Cyberpower true Sinewave UPS. I bought a Cyberpower 1000VA UPS for my MAC and then tried it with my K50. I heard no difference in sound. I listened with it for a week. Normally, the K50 was plugged into an amplifier outlet on my AQ Niagara 5000. I also use a Purist Audio Designs Aquila power cord on my K50 and my DAC. I found it to be an excellent power cord for digital devices. The Cyberpower has RFI/EMI capabilities which I found one review showing it works but is limited. I think the power cord is an important component of the overall shielding of the power going into the K50, and DAC.

With that experiment’s success, I bought a 1500 VA Cyberpower Pure sine wave UPS for the K50 which I also use with my network switches, router and modem. I see on the power meter that the K50 by itself draws 24 Watts. The ancillary equipment brings the total power draw to 64 Watts giving me a backup time of 92 minutes- per the display. Power goes straight through during normal operation. The pure sine wave generation happens only when on battery power and if the power is out I will not be listening to my stereo.

This gives me some peace of mind now since power outages are common here for us.
Has anyone else tried this?

I never got the Furman UPS. Problems with delivery. So I ended up canceling the order.

Just want to mention, we were hit directly by hurricane Helena. Our power was out for 40 hours. My new Pure Sinewave UPS lasted about 1.5 hours powering my modem and router. Of course I shut down the K50 and my DAC in this case before we lost power. Surprised really how quickly power was restored for us. It is bad here. Thousands of trees down and a lot of snapped telephone poles and downed powerlines everywhere. It will be weeks before all is back to normal but I see the Appalachia area north of us got hit even worse. Stereo is staying off for now until I am certain our power is stable.