Raid or similar hard drive backup possible?

hi, im using a samsung SSD in one of my oladra slots. Is it possible to add another disk and have the server mirror files from one to the other in case of a hard disk failure?

It’s best not to treat the drives in an Antipodes as the “source of truth”. The data that’s stored there should be a copy from a regularly-backed up drive on a computer or NAS. I have a folder on my Synology NAS that contains all the music I want to be synchronized down to my Antipodes. I use Chronosync on Mac to keep the two synchronized.

you mean when you play music it doesn’t come from the drive on your antipodes? but from your nas?

The music from a folder on my NAS is copied down to the Antipodes drives so it can be played from there. There would be no to synchronize if I only intended to play music from my NAS.

I do have far more music files than I can fit on the drives in my Antipodes so I do also play music directly from my NAS. It’s just my favorites that are played from the internal drives.

1 Like

@tommytwotimes you raise an interesting point, what you suggest is not possible.
@kennyb123 is correct in how the music on your server should be treated.

Antipodes has been white-boarding a variety of backup solutions and storage solutions in general, and backup has been talked about before on this forum.

The industry “standard” is discussed here
3-2-1 Backup Strategy Explained: Is it Effective? | TechTarget.

And that does seem like a lot of work, however can be managed with sync software, one main library that is the library where additions and edits are performed, likely your NAS or main computer, then sync to both cloud and Antipodes automatically seems like the best solution, that ticks off the 321 strategy.

For me 3-2-1 is not really possible. Google drive which i use doesnt allow network locations to be backed up. And i dont have any ‘always on’ pc running in the house so nowhere to run any sync software. The best solution would be to have 2 ssd drives in the oladra and have your software mirror them. The most likely scenarion is failure of one of the drives, im not worried about fire or any other highly unlikely scenario like 2 SSD drives failing at the same time.

I believe that having AMS mirror 2 drives would be relatively straight forward - even if it only did a ‘sync of all changes’ once per night.

I’d rather have the original backup system that was built into Antipodes software. Just plug in an external USB drive to the server (of equal storage to the SSD) and click on “backup”. It worked fine and fortunately I did not need to recover anything. Only downside was the manual operation versus automatically backing up every change. This led to me to missing some backups, as I’d always say, “maybe tomorrow”. Whatever the solution is, it needs to be simple and not intrusive as everyone who listens to music is not necessarily PC literate or have a NAS.

1 Like

It would only need to perform a sync after music was added.

1 Like

This solution suits you, but anyone with multiple drives does not, likewise devices with a single drive bay only.
We must think of a solution that fits all use cases on Antipodes Audio music servers.
We are happy to have suggestions on solutions, we may be able to work some into the final solution.

1 Like