S60 questions before purchasing

And Farad also as a key to that is low impedance. Regulation done right can achieve this, but I have no experience with how much better a hybrid supply is with this. I suspect it’s a meaningful difference when done right.

The Hypos allows the voltage to be adjusted. I question how that can achieve the lowest impedance. See what Farad has to say about why they ship only fixed voltage power supplies.

As with all things, execution matters. A linear supply that’s well executed could be a lot better than a hybrid supply executed poorly. It’s the same with amplifiers where the class of operation tells you very little. As consumers we naturally gravitate towards buzzwords. I think it’s always wise to try to look past that.

Based on reviews, user experience and the Antipodes designers intention and comments about how important a hybrid PSU is to the final sound they are up to something.

According to hifi-advice.com* when comparing Grimm MU1 to Antipodes K50: highest resolution and most neutral, ‘the whole truth and nothing but the truth’ vs. the K50 has more charm and it is less sterile if you find that music servers sometimes are too uninvolving.

Farad should be coming out (this year?) with a addon HyperReg that will lower impedance, lower ESR and increase transients. Also new PSUs to come. Interesting specially if it has the potential to lead to comparable results.

As for the hybrids only two to compare today. Hopefully by the time there are a dozen available Jay @ Audiobacon should have recovered from his huge worlds best 2021 LPS comparison so he can do a second comparison.

I found this (PaulW)

MarkCole

Jul '21

''Hi dbastin, Yes the tech spec onsite does need a tweek re the 12v output on the K30. The K30 does have the HSL80, this single supply runs the two boards inside the K30, so having it run a third isnt all that ideal, so using a dedicated HSL50 in the S60 for the S20 is the better way to go.

Very interesting powering router etc from the S60, this would likely be beneficial.’’

''So I added the S20, the K30 has a 12v out, so I ditched the SMPS and ran the S20 directly from the K30 power supply. This sounded great, but then as money came in I added the S60 to take the load away from the K30’s power supply, opening up the sound thru I2S.

Does it sound as good as a K50 - no. Could I afford a K50 - no.

Is it close - yes. Did building it step by step mean I could afford it - yes. Am I happy with how it sounds - absolutely.’’

If I owned an S30 or S40 and had the cash for a S60, it would be my only choice simply because they are now taking music servers in exactly the right direction. Fast, dynamic, transparent and tonally-dense is exactly how I like my music served up to me.

1 Like

Hope to get there soon, thanks!

1 Like

@PaulW I believe you asked about fuses above. I happened to have a pair of Synergistic Blue fuses on hand that I could use in my K30. I most certainly heard an improvement but the bang for the buck wasn’t as good as when upgrading fuses in other components since two fuses were needed. I think a good place to start might be with some of the Acme Audio fuses. I base that on this review.

What a coincidence, today I purchased a used SR Orange for the Farad. Interesting link, thank you.

On the subject of audiophile fuses I came across these earlier. I thought the Synergistic Research fuses were outrageously priced, but compared to these, they suddenly appear quite cheap.

Those are the cheaper ones. There are some very much in the ‘if you have to ask how much they are you can’t afford them’ category.

2 Likes

Hi, just to remind you this topic is about S60. If it is to confirm those fuses can be used with S60 I do not mind trying. If not, I do not mind either opening a topic about fuses and compatibility with Antipodes, I am curious also. Thanks!

1 Like

I can afford them, I’m just not daft enough to actually buy them. :rofl: By the way & before anyone jumps on their high horse, I’m not totally dismissive of all audiophile fuses, especially those I haven’t actually tried. However, there’s absolutely no justification for that kind of pricing.

I must commend you on the manner in which you did that. It was polite and respectful. This should be how we keep things out of the weeds. Well done.

Hi, makes me very curious in what Antipodes devices you are using the fuses of your choice. And what you like or did not like?

And completely unlike the way you’re so dismissive of the opinions of others. Hence why & on more than one occasion you’ve been so condescending & altogether obnoxious towards cereal_killer?

1 Like

Hi Paul,

In my actual Antipodes device (K50) I’m happy to use the fuses that came fitted. On the day that Antipodes themselves give a an upgrade recommendation then I’ll go with that & at least give it a go (unless it’s the stupidly priced fuses I highlighted).

I have previously tried a couple of cheaper fuse upgrades but couldn’t hear any difference (I’m not totally dismissive that they might make a difference in every situation though).

As for fuses in mains leads, as an apprentice/electrician/electrical installations inspector/electrical engineer, in that order, my opinion is that the best fuse in a mains lead feeding a hi-fi component is no fuse at all.

That’s not to suggest you remove them from plug tops & replace them with anything else & prior to this edit, I failed to make that clear. Unfortunately with the U.K system that’s what we’ve ended up with. But for the purposes of feeding an audio system it leaves rather a lot to be desired.

I have not been dismissive of opinions. I have challenged arguments. Claiming that one has heard severs across a number of price ranges and saying that this is a relevant factor when determining which software sounds best on Antipodes isn’t a sound argument. I challenged it and instead of being offered an explanation of why it’s relevant I was called names.

I am not fond of toxic arguing techniques. This is a good list of them here. I will most certainly call others out when they are attempting to gaslight or to argue in bad faith. I think your real issue with me is that I’ve pushed back against some of your own behavior that mirrors what we saw from cereal.

You asked that we drop this and I did. You come off as a hypocrite by attacking me as you just did because you were the one who called on us to drop this. Please send me a PM if you’d like to discuss further.

And wasn’t it you who had your own system thread deleted because it wasn’t going the way you wanted? There were a lot of great opinions offered in the thread that got deleted. Those who contributed took time out if their day to share their learning and … poof it’s gone. Am I correct that it was your thread?

Seriously? You absolutely couldn’t wait to try & to have pop at me & did so at the earliest opportunity. My second post since your squabble with another & in which I’d only tried to act as peacemaker & who pops up? Yep you & given your track record, I’m not surprised.

All I did was try to stop the pair of you arguing, as it was getting out of hand & I didn’t want to see either of you banned. Seriously fella I’m not interested, just leave me alone & go away. I’m more than happy to ignore your posts & not respond & please ignore mine. To be honest I don’t personally value your responses anyway.

You’re correct in that it was my thread, however, I only requested that the thread be deleted & for personal reasons. If you bothered to actually check, you’ll find I don’t have the ability to do what you’ve claimed & nor does anyone else other than the administrator.

It would really help if you took more care to read what I actually wrote. My exact words were “you who had your own system thread deleted.” I never claimed that you deleted it yourself because I know you can’t. Please stop misrepresenting what I’ve said.