S60 questions before purchasing

Yes Kenny, however, you’ve no idea what caused me to initiate the request, but it wasn’t because it wasn’t going the way I thought. Whatever that actually means. Please don’t take that as an invite to provide some sort of answer.

Please just end this. Like I said I have no wish to argue & I’m more than happy to ignore you & I implore you to just ignore me. I’m seriously good with that. :grinning:

2 Likes

Fine, but please stop this. Do not comment on my posts and I won’t comment on yours. And please don’t ask to have your comments to me deleted. I’m particularly fond of the one where you said you don’t personally value my responses anyway. A true classic.

I used to be a mains cable atheist until one day a friend brought a pretty expensive mains cable to try in my system. He was just itching to see the look on my face when it transformed the sound quality. Eventually I gave in and plugged it into my ARC6 powering my Dave. As it turned out it was me watching the look on his face when he heard the disastrous effect of the cable in my system. That was a pretty convincing demonstration that mains cables can have an effect and it certainly changed my mind. Have I gone through my system trying different mains cables? Well no but I suppose I might if I can get a friendly dealer to loan me some Shunyata mains cables as they seem to be well thought of (my friend’s was an AQ at about 1k a pop). If anyone is interested my existing cable that convincing beat the AQ is a vintage LAT AC-2 cable. I use them throughout my system but only because they are cheap, flexible and look neat. The whole system is powered from a 3KVA balanced mains transformer chosen because I could hear a clear difference when it was used.

On the matter of fuses, my friend also brought an SR fuse and I tried that but could not hear any difference. However I am part of a discussion group where we discuss many things and the Quantum Science Audio fuses have cropped up there with several members reporting quite astonishing improvements in sound quality. All of my scientific knowledge is screaming that they cannot possibly make any difference and certainly not to the point where these fuses sound better than no fuse. And yet . . . . . .

By the way, if these fuses do improve the sound quality by the margin that people are saying then that certainly justifies the price.

For me, IF I was tempted to go down the fuse rabbit hole I suspect I would first try replacing all the fuses with same size solid copper cylinders. The problem would be what to do if that sounded good because I would be very reluctant to have that as a permanent installation. We have fuses for a reason.

1 Like

If you’re in the UK you’ll not really find better cables than the EWA range. They are designed by the guy who created TelluriumQ. https://www.abcaudio.biz/cable

I had a full loom of their best stuff in my previous setup, based around an Aavik U-300 amp/DAC and some bespoke hi-end speaker’s. Front end was roon on an NUC/NAS.
I had EWAs speaker cables, mains cables and USB cable.

1 Like

I wasn’t actually trying to suggest that people remove the plug top fuses, though I failed to make that clear (I’ll amend it). It was more by way of pointing out that the U.K system where we have fused plug tops isn’t actually ideal when it comes to feeding hi-fi components.

However, it’s very much the choices of yesteryear that’s seen us end up with fused plug tops at all (mainly the adoption of ring mains wiring). When it comes to your hi-fi components, all that fuse in the plug top is really there for is to protect the short length of flexible cable between socket outlet & component from overload.

After all, the component itself will already have a fuse & if you cut the flex shorting out live & neutral the MCB or cartridge fuse at the consumer unit would take care of it.

Even then & assuming the cable from the wall socket feeds into a mains conditioner or other means of distribution. If the first flexible cable is fused & protected properly, then every cable further on down the line & sized the same is also protected. But we then plug even more fused plug tops into the conditioner & end up with fuse upon fuse.

Like I said it’s not ideal but it’s what we’re now stuck with.

@Chilli @kennyb123

Gentlemen, when you click on the left on a persons icon you can send personal messages. I really prefer that personal issues are discussed elsewhere because they have nothing to do with the topic here (unless for you it is convenient more people are reading your personal discussion, so much I can do).

I understand you are passionate about audio with different opinions and tastes and that is great, let’s keep an open mind, not everyone writes what he thinks or thinks what he writes. Thanks for your understanding.

2 Likes

I repeat myself but I do appreciate your comments regarding S60. That’s what I was looking for here. Thanks!

1 Like

My questions regarding S60 are answered. This topic is closed for me. Just disabled notifications. Thanks

1 Like