Squeeze (Auto) FLAC problems

Hello, I switched from Aurender to Antipodes K50. Just doing my experiences. Use the player function “Squeeze (Auto)”. Thinking of switching to Roon + Squeeze Player. Do rather negative experiences with Squeeze Audio. The web based app or player feature crashes incredibly often. But it’s still good to use. Perfect for listening to music. When the title changes, there are loud crackers. Very extreme for titles with different sample rates. I’ve tried my luck several times under “Audio” with the time delay settings when changing titles, but the problems remain. The settings also showed no success. Nothing changed either. Sometimes the music plays without a crack when the track changes and sometimes it doesn’t. Strangely, my FLAC music is not playing. The digital output to my DAC is not recognized. WAV already. My DAC Merason DAC-1 MK2. Connected via AES/EBU. Is the Web Player Squeeze just a cheap version. Therefore more vulnerable than e.g. Roon etc.? The problem described is with my iPad and Android Pixel 7 cell phone.

Hi there, the issues you describe are not normal, Squeeze is a rock solid app.

If you have updated to v4.4, please follow the instruction below to turn off C-3PO…

Inside Squeeze – Go To Settings / Additional Player Settings / Extra Settings / Basic Settings Dropdown - select C-3P0 Transcoding Helper / Dis-able the checkbox and Save

If you continue to experiance issue, please book an appointment for remote access support.

The web player should never crash. In addition to what Mark suggested above, be sure to clear your browser cache.

My DAC does occasionally give off a pop when the sample rate changes. I put the blame on my DAC as the DAC prior to it didn’t do this. Also, with my current DAC, the pop occurs both with Squeeze and HQPlayer. It’s not very loud.

Hello Mark, my current experiences with the K50 are as follows (Squeeze Auto):- Sounded very powerful and clean. - I also tested FLAC (compression 5) vs. WAV. Clear case, WAV much better. Since I have my entire music collection in WAV format anyway, I don’t even start converting everything to FLAC Zero compression. I’ve had my experiences with other servers, including Aurender, and they all sounded worse with FLAC. WAV has always been the most natural. Antipodes favors FLAC Zero compression, but then I can leave it directly in the WAV. My meta data in WAV files are completely sufficient. Only I thought that a K50 with such power and 2 computer circuit boards should be able to process FLAC in Standard 5, sounding the same as a WAV file?! I thought the server board converts the FLAC file (standard 5) to WAV format and the plain WAV files are played/streamed from the player board? Here I thought that there would be no sound differences between these two formats. - Function C-3po raises some questions. However, when this function was switched off, it worked to play FLAC, for comparison with WAV. Since I prefer WAV tonally, I somehow like the sound better with the C-3po switched on! It sounds less strenuous, more relaxed, more open, not so stressful. Without the C-3po it’s native and sounds closer to the original, that’s true, but more annoying after a longer listen. Here C-3po helps to let the music flow more relaxed. Here’s my question: In which format is always upsampled? 192Khz? Can’t read sample rates on my DAC. I own the Merason DAC-1 MK2 and is connected via AES/EBU. C-3PO is probably set according to the standard setting. At least I didn’t change anything there. Oh yes, I had previously updated to the latest software version (K50). - My last listening test was of course as always… how does the server sound without a network connection? Well, the K50 sounds much better offline. Without a network connection, it sounds much calmer, less stressful, more full-bodied, simply much more analogue. Here, too, I thought, due to the more complex architecture of the K50 compared to other servers, to declare war on the noise much more?! Enormous difference in sound without a network connection - clearly. At that time I had already tried and bought the so-called audiophile network switches. Sold out. Upgraded from Melco S100 via their ADOT Fiber Kit. Then Innuos Phoenix Net and Aqvox. All switches and expensive Ethernet cables didn’t stand a chance against offline operation. Of course, the audiophile switches sounded good, but never more audiophile than offline operation. Rather, it sounded just as stressful with audiophile switches as an untreated network. But the K50 doesn’t do any better with the untreated network either. Fortunately, it is possible to listen to music offline with the K50. When the network connection was reconnected, the Squeeze Player control via iPad was immediately found and set up again. So it remains annoying with the offline and online operation. You always have to go to the server and connect and disconnect the network connection. You told me Mark that with the purchase of the K50, going offline could be a thing of the past. Definitely COULD. Antipodes hasn’t found an antidote to network noise yet. For that reason alone I would never stream via Qobuz or Tidal. 1. Network noise, 2. FLAC Standard 5 is mostly streamed, music servers of today’s generation cannot process FLAC Standard 5 in the same way as a WAV file. I can understand that many are going back to the CD player or CD transport. Still, I’m happy with the K50. He sounds very good. But there are certain points that need to be addressed.

I find Squeeze buggy also, but I have an older DX model, which may be the problem. Often when I open squeeze it comes up as not recognising any player. Generally I find if I re-start squeeze once or twice, and open it, it will recognise the player.

Also how old is your DAC. I find my old Moon 380D DAC will not be recognised by Roon, if I try to run it through the DX. streamer

I also have what you describe with squeeze and restarting several times with the current K50. Exactly the same. Do you mean me with the DAC? It’s brand new.

Do you leave your gear powered up all the time?

There are varying implementations of USB in DACs from manufacturer to manufacturer, not all USB’s are created equal, Antipodes USB is fully USB Audio 2.0 compliant.
DAC depending it can make a difference on the start up procedure of the devices for discovery, ideally the Antipodes would be started and given time to boot, then the DAC in a system where USB is slow or hard to recognise.

It would be really nice if Antipodes got the network noise under control. Heard offline for a long time yesterday. Nothing better. You don’t want to miss it anymore. Why are manufacturers so ignorant of network noise? It is the biggest sound contributor in the system. Aurender introduced the 2xisolated LAN port, which didn’t help either. At least against offline didn’t stand a chance either. Why isn’t there a possibility, or rather a solution, built into the K50, where there is enough space, that completely eliminates network noise? Optional for customers who want it at an additional cost. Customers who want to work with their own switches can stay with it. The problem of network noise is left to the customer. They now have to buy expensive switches and cable accessories. Ethernet connections also sound different again. That’s why I would avoid external solutions. All in one hand from Antipodes. However, Antipodes MUST be able to ensure that their solution sounds just like offline operation. The network is usually only required for operation via the app, at least for those who listen to the SSD library. Isn’t it possible to cap the ethernet signal and condition it? Only for control signals? Of course, for those who stream, there must also be a solution. With the K50, the network noise is passed on 1 to 1 from the server board to the player board and finally to the reclocker. That’s not a solution. Dear manufacturer, finally tackles the issue and solves it. I did some research beforehand and read up on Grimm Audio. Their server MU1 should be fully immune to network noise. Regardless of the quality of the signal. Whether cleaned or uncleaned network. It doesn’t matter whether a good or bad WLAN router is connected. Unfortunately I couldn’t try it myself. But sounds promising.

1 Like

ok, so if it is not the Dac, try connecting with a coaxial cable

i leave the rear power switch on but not the front LED.

Leave it on all the time

Thanks for sharing your experience here. You shared a lot of information. I see internal problems (Squeeze, WAV vs. FLAC files) and external problems (Network). Regarding the former, as long as this is happening, no use to listen critically. You need a stable player first. Whatever the reason. I do not see how this could be related to the K50, but you can always do an online session with Antipodes / Mark to be sure.

Again first things first, you need a stable player. But did/can you try other connections for troubleshooting reasons? I have popping sound problems ONLY over USB with a specific DAC when changing from low-res to high-res FLAC or WAV albums and vice versa. Here the DAC is the problem, not the server.

What app are you using, mconnect? To compare can you control from a PC?

Christian I am confused. I think first you said you preferred offline (no network you mean?). Here you say offline is not sounding better with your K50.

To help you I am trying to distinguish external influences below, the network being part of that.

I am convinced the K50 will sound excellent anywhere in the world. The only ‘problem’ : what do users attach to it, network, (clean?) AC power, DAC’s, play from local SSD (you call that offline right?) vs. streaming (Qobuz etc.), where is it placed, what cables, vibrations and so on. In the end there are variables we try to eliminate or control when we are not satisfied with the sound.

Network setups are never the same and their integrity can be very important to the sound quality. Of course I agree with you that streaming and local files should sound the same. And why not have devices like streamers solve this?
But that does not exist in 2023. For example a company getting close to this is Taiko Audio, but besides a specific software they still need a separate router, a high quality power distributor, a switch and a network card to make streaming and local files sound (virtually still) the same. I believe according to some users Oladra can achieve this as well. Besides external and internal factors it depends also how and what you listen to.

Some possible network issues you could verify:

• If the network bothers you, did you isolate your audio stream with a specific audio network in the router? Either a software or hardware isolation?

• Does your iPad/Pixel connect through the same Access Point as the rest of your home network?

• Do you have many users at home using the same network while you are listening?

• Do you mind sharing your upstream network setup?

• How do you control the K50 with iPad or Pixel 7 when you are in ‘‘offline mode’’? With what app?

Keep us posted if there is progress. Good luck.

Hello. On the subject of the popping sound. It’s always the DACs that are the problem, so the servers or players should take care that this doesn’t happen. For example, when changing from different sample rates, the player software or, if you like, the server has to set a time for the DAC. So that the DAC has enough time to change over or to adapt to it. For example 3 seconds. Then nothing bangs anymore. Or makes funny crackles. This function is probably called “crossfade” in Squeeze. Seems to work every now and then. don’t stop What you describe, switching between WAV and FLAC, lower and higher resolution, is what I mean. Here the server or the player software has to act and work well for the DAC. Allow 3 seconds for the DAC to switch to the sample rate. Very easily. Aurender has that. Simple. I also find such a time specification in the squeeze settings. I even reset to default settings so I can see what the developer generally thought. I have 10 seconds set. But somehow he ignores that. Whatever the sample rate, the music happens seamlessly, no waiting in between. Maybe I don’t understand the parameters either. Is what I mean. Far too many setting options. Not user friendly.

I don’t use any special app. I use the web browser. I copied this as a link or short cut to my cell phone or tablet. So direct access. It is working. The software is now more stable than usual. But don’t try to switch back and forth between music albums and settings as often. There comes a point when everything always falls apart. Under setting C-3PO. There is a DSD Settings tab. And a tab lower, I think. If you click on it and go back, the software freezes. It’s like that. Sometimes the software starts quickly, sometimes it takes 1 minute. Close browser, restart etc.

Antipodes offered their help right away. It’s free.

Translation error of my app. To avoid confusion. The K50 sounds BEST offline (without a network connection). I don’t use streaming (Qobuz). Only hear from internal SSD. I realize that everyone has a different network setup. But go to the Antipodes site and read their philosophy. It says in no uncertain terms, stay away from all those accessories like switches…save the money for good servers. Hoping to have done this with the K50, I find that this server doesn’t do anything to eliminate network noise either. But the special architecture of the K50 reads like this. It is advertised with it. And check out other chats here. What an effort people have made to clean up their network. Many thousands of euros have already flowed into the network cleanup. So let’s be honest, we all have the same dirty network. Yes, and if so, then some are different. Should the manufacturers take commercial, domestic network environments as a reference and test their servers accordingly. Should they use the dirtiest net and work with it, examine it, research it. Unfortunately, I can no longer operate the server when it is offline. You have to swallow this toad if you want to listen to audiophile music. Get up, connect LAN, select music, disconnect LAN, sit down. We weren’t that far back then, when it all started, in 2003, 2006, but in 2023 for a server around 18,000 euros, I expect more to get the network noise under control.

1 Like

There are 2 cheap solutions: operate K50 with Ipad through wifi or cable.

Setup a second wifi extender /router/switch and do NOT connect to Internet or your home network. Create a separate network and only connect it to your K50 with an Ethernet cable. You could also connect a NAS with your WAV files to the same switch so the K50 can see the high quality WAV albums.

You can connect an iPad with a long direct rj45 cable to the switch to communicate with the K50. Or you can connect wireless to the audio only wifi router or access point that will communicate exclusively with the K50. Do not forget to connect the K50 every now and then to Internet for Antipodes updates. And disconnect from internet after the update.

An other benefit of this setup is a cleanup of your network by eliminating interference and avoid other network traffic while you are listening to audio files.

IMG_0063

Thanks for the tip. But I think these solutions also bring dirt into the system. I also connected the former Aurender directly to my iPad via a USB WLAN adapter. Sounded just as bad. You mean something like TP-Link. I assume that this device also causes pollution. Can you try. But I’m skeptical. Which IP address does the K50 then have in the case of a direct connection?