Storage and reclocking in non audiofile world

I’m guessing I am a most unusual visitor here. I’m not an audiophile, but just rather particular. I’ve acquired a system that enables me to stream music with the help of a Wisa device. But I also have a lot of flac files from ripping my CDs using EAC (done over 20yrs ago), and a bunch of CDs I’ve yet to rip. I need a storage device that enable me to send music to the Wisa device. It does not need another function as DAC and amps are what the Wisa device is sending to, but it occurs to be that a significant sound upgrade may be achievable if the music is reclocked before it gets to the Wisa device. I gather Antipodes is big on using reclocking in its devices, some of which are concerned with storage. Just wondering if you can give me a little guidance.

Hii there @MarkHS , thanks for posting.
Are you using a WISA transmitter, what are the available inputs on the Wisa?

Hi, and welcome to the world of audiophiles! We really are just people with an extraordinary passion for sound quality at whatever price point we can afford.

WISA seems interesting and I am curious how it synchronises outputs using wifi transmission, I presume it is streamed/real time data rather than ethernet ‘packets’. I gather REL subwoofers use a similar approach with its wifeless transmitters.

Just to cover off some basics:

• Reclocking usually applies when a signal has already been transmitted and received via network, to prepare a signal for conversion by a DAC. For example:

• data source > network > server > renderer > reclocking > DAC > amplifier

• (BTW, the terms renderer, streamer and player and pretty much the same things).

• I presume WISA speakers have a integrated wifi/wireless receiver, renderer, DAC and amplifier/s.

• It would be best to understand how the WISA signal is transmitted (packets or streamed) before considering if reclocking could benefit.

• reclockers typically require USB, SPDIF or i2s input

• the huge resources at this website may be of more use … https://audiophilestyle.com/

Just for clarity, reclocking as addressed above is different to providing a high quality or master clock reference for ethernet devices.

Its got 3 opticals, HDMI, USB audio, and coax

Cheers
Mark

Thanks, very useful.
Wisa uses a high frequency standard so streams very high bit rate. Pretty sure it won’t be IP and not packet at all. The Wisa device has 3 optical inputs. I’m going to check that out though.
Nice site, thanks - I’ve not been connecting with the audio topic for quite a while

Something like this might be a good place to start to explore if relocking will make a difference using the USB input.

Antipodes Audio S20 is a much higher end reclocker if you device accepts is2 via that HDMI port or SPDIF via the coax

There is a raft of other products that might suit your situation.

I’m curious why you believe that to be the case? This is the first I’ve heard of a Wisa device so this is fascinating to me.

Look Wisa up with a search engine. I think the suitable audio architecture for Wisa involves active speakers because it happens before any DAC

Both look interesting. Most would want to hear it though before committing USD3500. There is a dealer about 1500 km south of me, or as I’ll be near Antipodes HO in a couple of months, is there a listening room there?

Yes we have a listening room, and welcome guests.
Just need a heads up to ensure there are no schedule clashes

Some reputable names amongst the WISA speakers available.

As to why reclocking going into a Wisa sending device might work, I’m not the person to ask. I’m a casual observer and in the greater scheme of things know very little about it. But, I gather some reclocking is common in DACs and I think DAC conversion is pretty close to the next thing that happens to the data after Wisa

It’s good that you are approaching it with an open mind. Best to let your ears decide so I hope you are able to hear the K50.

Coincidentally I just came across this … https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/23/sotm-tx-usbultra-usb-regenerator-review-the-ultimate-digital-defuzzer/#:~:text=Power
There is also the Uptone Audio ISO Regen and USB Regen (https://uptoneaudio.com/).

Roon (soon), Airplay, Spotify Connect, Chromecast, DLNA … is this what you mean?