Upgrading AMSv3.1

I had a consultation booked no one rang . Also no reply from antipodes . I just want to know , do we return units to dealers ?

Yep, they charge a lot for the hardware that goes into the devices. As is the way of many hifi companies you are paying not so much for the hardware but the soft aspects of the company, that is, development and support costs. I find it almost unforgivable that they have ended up in a situation where they have gone ahead with an upgrade and left one person to support their world wide customer base. I don’t know how many customers they have, but surely they didn’t think it was going to go so well that one person could cope? They now never answer the chat function, booking 1 to 1 sessions are ignored, and the only answer I’ve had so far is to be patient. Their kit cost me over £10k, I’m not interested in being patient, I just want my hifi back!

This is not an easy problem to solve. The alternative is to hire and train staff just to get them through this - but then let those folks go once things return to normal. No company likes to do this, so they try to get by with existing staff who willingly put in long hours over the short term just to make their customers happy.

Please consider their good intentions here. Their goal is to provide us with a better platform at no additional cost to us. That alone should earn them some grace. No one is being forced to push the upgrade button. Everyone had the opportunity to read the posts here to see how things were going so they could make a wise choice about when to push it. Antipodes repeatedly asked us to be patient during this. They set that expectation up front a number of times.

If someone is left waiting for a response it most likely means that Antipodes employees are either catching up on sleep or helping someone else who may have spent just as much or more on their server. Anyone who demands immediate attention is basically demanding that someone else be ignored.

9 Likes

@kennyb123 Jussi sent my new HQP key yesterday morning. There was a slight panic from me because HQP on my K50 started reporting a different fingerprint to the one that I had given Jussi and the new key would therefore not work. Jussi suggested restarting the K50 but that did not help. I then accessed HQP on the K50 server from a different computer and that reverted back to the fingerprint I had given to Jussi and the key worked. Going back to the other computer it had also changed to the fingerprint I had given Jussi and was showing HQP as being licensed to me.

It was all very odd.

I started downloading the latest update on my D2 and can’t get any further. the following screenshot has the error message received.

The message says "Error Summary
Disk Requirements
At least 80MB more space needed on the / filesystem.’’
What do I do now?

@mwaterball

Please follow the instructions below for remote access

Remote Access Instructions

Email me at support@antipodes.audio
We will sort it out for you.

Seriously, everyone needs to chill.
If your music is so important to you.
And you are not tech savy enough.

Maybe you shouldn’t update so early, and just see what issues may come up.

Especially the older units, it’s not rocket science that there is going to be more likely issues with older units with this update, that’s a given.
Even Apple is not immune to this.

Mark is doing the best he can, I am sure the issues will be ironed out smoothly.
The fact Antipodes is remoting in to fix the issue is pretty incredible.

8 Likes

My machine is due to an hiccup in the update no longer visible on the net and it is therefore not possible to resolve the issue remotely.

On Mark’s advice I got in contact with the distributor, but it appears that he does not have bootable 3.1 software yet (as software transferred to an USB stick is apparently not recognised by the Antipodes). So, I am stuck at the moment.

I note that Mark is working day and night and is indeed being very helpful, but I nevertheless believe that it would have been helpful if his dealers would have had (workable) software in advance to help out where remote access does not work

That is true but don’t mistake our love of antipodes as anything but love, so to be without it is heartbreaking. Secondly Apple is not perfect but darn glad I switched decade or more ago, it’s great to have plug n play for us techno noobs. Love apple.
The issue was roon update on the nov 3rd needs 3.1 for all users, so yes we could have delayed, not upgraded and used the old roon as long as… but this input into failures is the learning experience for mark and antipodes. So in my case living in Toronto, I will send my unit to Larry in Denver to be wiped, reinstalled, sent back so yes like the effort, but hate to be without my DX. It’s my baby….

1 Like

In case anyone else encounters this issue: I solved it yesterday by creating a directory music in the /music directory using the file manager. Next, moved the …/flac directory to this new directory. After restoring the backup the files are found by Roon and the issue is resolved.

Your in my boat, it will have to be wiped, reinstalled, im guessing tho, I’m sending my DX to denver for this to be done.

No luck for me on S40 from 3.0 to 3.1, things do not go flawlessly . Tried a few times and stuck in step 1/3

I changed my DNS on my router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but still same issue in resolving sonicorbiter.com

11/02/2021 20:33:10 - Checking internet connection…
11/02/2021 20:33:16 - Cannot resolve sonicorbiter.com. Upgrade could not start.
11/02/2021 20:33:16 - Please reboot and start again.
11/02/2021 20:33:16 - (Your DNS may not be working.)
Back to main menu
11/02/2021 21:51:17 - Checking internet connection…
11/02/2021 21:51:22 - Cannot resolve sonicorbiter.com. Upgrade could not start.
11/02/2021 21:51:22 - Please reboot and start again.
11/02/2021 21:51:22 - (Your DNS may not be working.)
Back to main menu
11/02/2021 22:07:12 - Checking internet connection…
11/02/2021 22:07:18 - Cannot resolve sonicorbiter.com. Upgrade could not start.
11/02/2021 22:07:18 - Please reboot and start again.

Glad you got it sorted out. I still have not heard back from Jussi yet.

1 Like

He does sometimes get distracted. :+1:

All good now as I just received my new key. :grinning:

1 Like

Just communicated with Mark, unit (s40)will have to go back to dealer, for a manual install.
Bit of a bummer, but at least I get the a Elite boys to have a look and tune-up as it were.
They contacted me the very same day I had email chat with Mark.
Hope that man (Mark) gets some sleep

2 Likes

Hi all! I wanted to chime in with my experience and echo the comments of others who have acknowledged this as no small undertaking by Antipodes. Sincerest thanks to @MarkCole for his Herculean efforts on this large scale project … to get us all on the same platform with automatic updates going forward.

My CORE and EX were on version 2.8 and the update process yesterday was amazingly simple once Mark got me going. Faster and better than anticipated based on the instructions and comments in this thread.

As with others, my update was not completely without hiccups - most of which were with getting Roon back up and running… This was remedied with a few restarts to help nudge Roon along as I restored from backup.

With the update to 3.1, Native DSD no longer works in my setup as it had in 2.8. My hope is this is a known item, and software update notes will be provided to let us know when it is reenabled so I can turn it back on.

Other than that, I’m very happy to have everything back up and running!

1 Like

I am sorry you will be without your unit.
Hopefully it will be back in your hands soon.

But yeah, if you really love your music so much and have no alternative music playing method.

I really think you should also hold off on the new Roon update too.
As we don’t know what kind of issues that may also arise.
Any large updates are always going to have issues, small or large.

Any improvement in performance and sound will always be welcome,
but yeah, every update runs a risk of something that may not go smoothly.
I would be cautious and only update if you have another mean to consume music.
Or you are happily fine to be without music for a while.

There’s a reason why that “Upgrade” button is there.
Once you click it, that’s when you prioritize improvement over stability.
I will click it sooner or later, but before then, I would probably have an alternative ready to go.
And definitely will make sure everything is backed up.
Upgrade or not, it’s definitely best practice.

1 Like

Always have an alternative source, not as good as antipodes tho. No worries with roon, I have to send my unit to Denver to get 3.1 put on. All backed up of course both on the drive and USB stick.
So it will be awhile but I have been on roon for 5 years now, never had a upgrade that wasn’t smooth as silk.
Sure I was worried about antipodes update, but why offer an update unless it works, seems weird to offer one just to mess up units. I never view an update as problematic, it’s an opportunity

Also wanted to add my thanks to @MarkCole for the work he did with logging into my system and talking me through some issues I had after the update - we’re these specific to Antipodes or a glitch with Roon, hard to say, but Mark was first class in his service and my K40 / Roon is working smoothly now :grinning:

Kudos to you @MarkCole , and to Antipodes for the gargantuan process of getting everyone on AMSv3.1, that will enable smoother updates in the future :+1:

9 Likes