AMSv4 Software Preview - Updated With Guides

Hi uwe061,
I have found with past iPad remote issues that going to the app store and finding the Roon Remote app will show one of two things there - it will offer to refresh the app which usually solves my connection issue.
After this AMSv4 update and the Remote app not connecting, going to the app store showed that an update for the Remote was available. Updating fixed the issue.
I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
the AMSv4 update arrived yesterday and it almost installed itself on my S30, it was that easy.
The Dashboard is very intuitive and I was listening to music again via Roon within a matter of minutes.
Now Iā€™m looking forward to trying Squeeze as the player, next time I need some tunes. It looks like such a simple process now.
Big thanks to you and your team for such a seamless changeover to a much leaner system.

regards, Ian

1 Like

@MarkCole Thank you. That helps. I was reluctant to make a change without advice since thatā€™s how it was apparently set by default. But seems to be sorted now.

1 Like

All the software is the same for all devices, by selecting no player app, the K40/K41 etc becomes Server ONLY.
Conversely, if you had an S30 or K21 and wanted to set it as player only you would select the source to NONE.

After the update, I canā€™t open the dashboard on my K50 either via Antipodes.audio or via myantipodes. Myantipodes shows me the IP addresses when I select them, a new tab appears, but it remains black. However, Roon Server with Squeeze Player is runningā€¦ what can be the cause?? The MAC address displayed under myantipodes is different from that on my router (FRITZ!Box)
My Server Location is in Germany

@Gretsche
Two differing Mac addresses,? have you rebooted both the K50 and the Router?
Also what is your OS on your remote device, check your security level.
But reboot everything first

I did the restart once today. I wonā€™t be able to do it again until tomorrowā€¦I also found it strange with the Mac address since this hardware is actually given out silky

It is possible to have differing MAC addresses depending which network card is being accessed by each application.
Reboot everything.

If you would like us to pop in for a look book an appointment for remote access support

iOS 16.0.3 latest version

ok then iā€™ll try again tomorrowā€¦ iā€™ll disconnect the router from the power supply and also the K50 completely and than Start First the Router and than start the K50 again, right?? If it doesnā€™t work, I would like to accept your support, but one step at a timeā€¦

1 Like

I just did the update on my K50 and so far its not going well ā€”- First going into the new screen takes about 2 to 3 minutes ā€”. second zero music - It tell me it does not recognize a USB connections and ask me to power down my dac ā€” Doing this does not solve the problem ā€”- I am at a lost on what to do ā€”- I see I am not the only one have issue with your new release ā€” please advice ā€”- I am set at Roon Audio and pressed the Refresh ā€”- Did not solve the problemā€”- Have rebooted everything and nothing helped Even force closed nothing helped Please advice Eli

A number of users have struck problems, but so far it is nothing to do with any of our code. None of the support calls has found a single software bug. Not yet, anyway. The reason for most of the issues is either needing to restart Roon, or is a userā€™s network problem.

The network problems are confusing people, because they can get emails and browse the internet, so how could there be a network issue, right?

Well, communicating across your own network is not the same thing as communicating with locations on the internet.

Why?

Because as long as you are connected to your router your web page request goes to a DNS server outside your network to find out the real address. But within your own network, there is (typically) no DNS server, and the router needs to find things locally without help. So if your network cannot reliably resolve local addresses, you have a network problem, even though your internet browsing and emails work fine.

The most common thing we have been seeing is two DHCP servers on a userā€™s network. This makes network addressing somewhat random, so the main reason for problems with the upgrade has been the fact the user is rebooting their music server, and so spinning the ā€˜wheel of fortuneā€™ with their network.

Having two DHCP servers on a network makes local communications a nightmare. More than one user with a dual device, like a K50, K30, Oladraā€¦, has had their server device connecting to one subnet and the player device connecting to a different subnet. No wonder you then have trouble connecting to a solution dashboard that requires access to both the server and the player. This was not needed in v3.14 where you opened the devices separately. But the problem is network configuration, not your Antipodes.

This will be the tip of the iceberg in terms of how many of our users have 2 DHCP servers because sometimes you will be fine, and sometimes you will be unlucky on the ā€˜wheel of fortuneā€™ and we are only hearing from the unlucky ones at this point.

So please, have some sympathy for how tough it is for us to remotely fix your networks, and some patience with how long this can take. Navigating around your network when there are two devices issuing addresses, is slow. And often the user is not able to identify what the second DHCP server item is, let alone what the login credentials are for it.

There is also a close correlation between the users with problems and those that do not get their servers showing up on antipodes.audio/myantipodes. This also indicates a problem in your network.

If we can get into the second device then we can turn DHCP off and bam, the network issues go away because you suddenly have a properly functioning network.

The most common source of the second DHCP server is mesh networks or other wifi access points. These are often shipped by the manufacturer with DHCP on, and the user has no idea that installing the new device is adding a DHCP server that will clash with the DHCP server on their router.

I have seen some understandably frustrated people posting some (not so understandable) criticism of the people that are trying to help themā€¦ with a problem that is not of our making.

We will patiently do everything we can to find your network issue, but getting angry and abusive is not the best way you can help us help you. If we see two different subnet addresses popping up on your network then there IS a second DHCP server on your network and we need your help to identify what the device is so that we can attempt to login to it.

Having said that, I must hasten to add how great the majority of you are to work with, and how grateful we are for your patience and assistance. Thank you.

7 Likes

Iā€™m one of those who having that problem, and was not able to resolve it after spending 3 hours with Matt online, so Im wondering what diagnostic tests we can run to help the Antipodes team locate the source of the second DHCP server.

Easy,
Give them a drawing (flow chart) of all your equipment (model make and serial number etc) and how they are connected to each other. Then It would be easy for them to identify where the issue may be.
Frankly, Antipodes help with your own network is beyond ā€œStellerā€ customer service.
Hope that helps

2 Likes

@ Roadrex
After the remote session with Matt, the Roon Core was accessible from the iPhone and iMac, but not from the iPad. After re-installing Roon Remote on the iPad, everything worked. Thanks, Roadrex

1 Like

That is great advice. Even just a narrative describing the network traffic path would help.

1 Like

I just found out that my Philips Hue Bridge has an active dchp so that it can spread automatically IP Adresses? The Bridge is connected via LAN to the same Router like the K50. I am at work right now so i watched via Remote Cotrol from outside my Wifi to my Hue Bridgeā€¦i am very curious if this will be the Solutionā€¦

I have a Hue Bridge and I donā€™t think there is cause for concern. It creates a segment that only Hue devices can connect to. Itā€™s not offering up addresses to other devices.

you were right, unfortunately this did not solve the issueā€¦

@Gretsche we believe we may know what might be in play with your issue, please give us a day for a work around.