Antipodes Audio - Updated Range and Upgrade Program - July 2023

Got my MkI K50 upgraded and returned today. It took less than two weeks from pickup here in LA area to NZ and back. Took a while to set up since some of the settings were off. I had to enable squeezebox support in settings for Roon to find the K50 (using Squeeze player with Roon Core) since it somehow got turn off during update. Also the backup path was gone so need to reconfigure for regular backups. I’m assessing sound as I write this. I had been using an old SGC i7 server and Squeezebox Touch as streamer with optical into Dac for my streaming system during upgrade so just going by memory to determine changes in sound. First off, it sound really nice. Large sound stage and solid frequency response throughout the range. Sounds more analog and

similar to my TT setup. I’m not sure if Antipodes support has stated if there Is another break in period after upgrade but I’m happy with sound now. I use AES input from K50 to Dac so Havnt assessed how much better the new USB will be. I’ll keep listening to different types of music from both streaming and files on internal SSD to see how upgraded unit sounds over time. As of today, I’m happy with upgrade from mkI K50 . Thanks to the Antipodes team for very rapid turnaround as well as offering us a nice upgrade path.

6 Likes

I would also like to know if we can expect a further break in period. That is if New Zealand post can locate my K50 and deliver it. Looks like they take as long to collect and return within New Zealand as DHL do to the states. Antipodes turned my unit around within 48 hours, I was impressed. Now I am sweating on New Zealand post who have no record other than they have collected it.

Spb, it’s always the same story here in Australia.
Packages take 24-48 hours to get ordered and shipped from anywhere in the world to Sydney. A small ll Norwegian town to Sydney airport in 36 hours is common!!
Then they take 5-10 days just to get from Sydney to a Sydney suburb. Bloody ridiculous and highly annoying. New hifi transfers should take precedence!!
PS I find DHL usually much faster than most or any other devices, so that bodes well.

Well, I guess it was too good to be true. I left the upgraded k50 on and left for dinner. Upon return no music was playing. I’ve restarted several times, checked all connections and even tried USB out instead of AES which I was successfully using before I left for dinner. I checked Roon settings and there could be something I messed up there but not sure what could be off. So no sound from streaming or local files with USB or AES. I can see the K50 on Roon and I see the player/server setting in Antipodes app. I booked a 1:1 but they’re not available til Monday.

I was able to play music from my downstairs system, a Naim Uniti Nova which is a Roon endpoint which uses the Roon core on the K50. So I think I’ve isolated the problem to the new K50 player or some settings I messed with on the player dashboard

Hi, as I (US East Coast based) am missing my original K50 packaging, I wonder if there any recommendations how to approach the packing? Can DHL do the appropriate packing? Or do I get a “flight case” + box ? Appreciate any advise.

1 Like

@fuzzypoodle
DHL may be able to facilitate packing, you will need to connect with them directly.
Clients without packaging have sourced their own locally.

K30 is back. The shipping and return went flawless. A couple weeks turnaround. Here are the insides. Feet a bit different than Oladra.

The power supply is an industrial design similar to what we supplied in our control panels with beefed up filtering. Sound impressions to come.

3 Likes

You must have been quick, I paid 4 days after the upgrade was announced, still waiting for my K30 to get picked up… :frowning:

My K50 was picked up on 8/15 by DHL in NYC and returned today. I believe the turnaround time was outstanding.

did you get your issue resolved ?

I had a call with Marc Cole. He made time for me on the weekend which was incredibly nice of him. He got the USB working but it seems either a power supply or the reclocker has malfunctioned for the AES. He’s having replacement parts sent to the US repair site and will let me know when it gets there to reduce down time. Unfortunate, but Antipodes is being very helpful yo get this quickly resolved.

K30 upgrade sound impressions:
Definitely worth the upgrade for me.
Bass tightened, mids more micro detail, trebles silkier, timbre more accurate, soundstage same. These are all in the 2 to 3% range but together make a noticeable uptick. Thanks for the option @MarkCole and @antipodes . I am assuming the problem part were the feet as they definitely were not the ones from the Oladra.

2 Likes

I see an new pair of boards that have a capacitors on them. These are probably for power supply regulation. I suspect that you will hear improvements as these settle in.

That new USB board looks so simple but certainly there’s more than meets my eyes.

The new circuit boards likely also point to better sound coming as burn in occurs.

The trouble with burn in is you burn in too and changes aren’t as apparent. Enjoying things so far. Are you upgrading your K30? BTW I’ve switched to direct stream from the K30 to my EX for pggb files. Streaming is roon on server to hqplayer (bit perfect) on server to naa on K30 player and then mscaler. This way I can play a pggb file to tt2 usb and the same red book file to mscaler to tt2 bnc and switch to compare.

I’m not sure I see us as changing. I do tend to listen to Christmas music during that season. I’m always stuck by how that has served to illustrate how much my system has improved since the prior year. I’m not sure that would have been apparent had I changed.

We retain memories that serve as a reference. Listening to a track after we upgrade will establish a new memory that might cause us to no longer reach for the old one, but I that new memory can still clue us into any subsequent improvements that might come from burn in. This will vary from person to person depending on their memory and their listening choices.

Yes, I will most likely eventually get the K30 upgraded.

New usb port = goat, sonically and structurally.

2 Likes

Interesting. Yet another reason for me to look forward to getting the upgraded Oladra . . .

I have been listening to the upgraded K50, from version II, for a day. I believe the upgrade was worth it. I would say it sounds more “punchy “. In other words, a lower noise floor, improved dynamics but still very organic and more life like sounding. Individual instruments appear better separated within the soundstage. I use the AES/EBU output.

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to my upgraded K50 through the new USB while I’m waiting for the digital output repair. I always listened through AES previously but I will say that the sound through the new USB is outstanding. Very nice upgrade

3 Likes