Audiophile network switches

Yes

Yes. I use the Material browser that Antipodes provides. On iOS you can also use iPeng.

Playing now:

1 Like

Thank you very much @kennyb123 ! So no mobile app involved, Material is a browser-based interface to control the Squeeze server to pick up and send tracks to the Squeeze player. I like it and I think I’ll switch to Squeeze to max out audio quality!

Is Qobuz possible in the Squeeze-Material environment?

:pray: G

Yes it is possible to do so. There’s a screen to input your Qobuz credentials.

1 Like

I am using an Ansuz Powerswitch. It is far better than the Melco S100 which I had before.
In combination with my Ansuz cables unbeatable.

1 Like

Does anyone know why Antipodes supplies a STP ethernet cable instead of a UTP with it’s units? I make my cables cat 6 UTP. I use fibre right up to a media convertor powered by an iFi and then a short UTP into the K30. Maybe @MarkCole could comment.

The key take away, less noise and interference :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Gianluca,
Squeeze does sound better. No question. Roon and Squeeze, they just do not work the same way.
But you can always use Roon every now and then. For serious listening use Squeeze, and compromise on the interface.
Happy listening!

1 Like

If you are streaming Tidal or equivalent (instead of local files) and you prefer to use Roon take note of the limited buffer usage when using Roon; not putting whole tracks or albums in buffer before playing will affect sound quality. Roon stream can always be intermittently because of communication back with Roon server. (Even Tidal WITHOUT Roon sounds better).

Quote below is a few years ago but since many people still complain about Roon sound quality I do not think this changed. To give you an idea how Roon processes music:

« As soon as you begin playback of a TIDAL track, Roon begins caching the entirety of that track + the entirety of the next track into an encrypted on-disk cache. This buffering happens as quickly as TIDAL’s servers + your internet connection allows. Playback preferentially consumes data from this cache. If we’re not able to fill the caches quickly enough to keep up with playback, it’s possible that Roon has to go back to TIDAL directly on demand

If you want to get the best sound choose an OS that uses buffer (on disk or in RAM? @MarkCole ) do not use Roon. And preferably use music files only from SSD or local server and maximize your sound quality by playing 100% from buffer (with Antipodes this works at least with tracks and maybe whole albums?@MarkCole ).
It seems Roon is just not built like that.

1 Like

Thank you very much @PaulW and @kennyb123 to help me to open my eyes to Squeeze player :slight_smile:

1. I would recommend to at least try compare with 5V power from an independent source. Coupling a switch directly to a player/server could be asking for (interference) problems. If you can hear them of course ;-).
  2. give an Etherregen or similar a listen, you’ll be surprised.

Not so sure about that. Batteries have advantages, but not enough to get the best out of your switch. Your mileage may vary of course and you did not mention you compared to what (linear) power supplies? If you did so, please share.
Thanks

There are a lot of claims that the shield in STP cables contributes more noise through ground connections than it prevents. If a STP cable is used it should be system grounded at only one point in the chain which in this case would be at the Antipodes server line ground. Radiated noise in most home systems is minimal and taken care of by the error correction in any switch. Ground noise is more common in home systems. Elimination of the shield prevents this.

I agree with everything in the chart except for the most common audio system problem, ground noise getting into the analog circuits.

As this thread is about Audiophile switches and there affect on sound, a lot of the time inserting a switch may just be breaking that cable shield and eliminating ground noise.

I just wondered what Antipodes thoughts were.

Paul, I tested linear power supplies of any kind on my EtherRegen and the specific type of high quality LiFePO4 12V battery I’m now using beat them all!

I’m also using another identical 12V battery regulated to 5V by means of a Sprakos Labs SS7805 to power the P2 Reclocker with out-of-this-world results compared to the EX’ 5V USB output.

G

I am going to repeat what I said with respect to interfaces: execution is what matters most. I think generalizations often only apply narrowly because there is so much variation. Generic cables aren’t designed to the tightest tolerances. All that is taken under consideration is whether they meet spec. The spec can be met using cheap materials - but is that really acceptable enough for a highly resolving audio system? Based on my limited experience, no.

I think once we start taking about well-executed audiophile cables, we will find in most cases that they are shielded. But the shield is applied in a way that will do the minimize harm to the signal.

I think all the focus tends to be on keeping noise out of the cable. But just having a current pass through a cable can bring about a set of disturbances. Reactive loads store energy and that energy can be reflected back into the cable. Likewise impedance mis-matches can cause reflections. Some of tne better cables are manufactured with very tight tolerances - particularly around impedance.

All that was just a long-winded way of saying that I think the focus should be more on finding a well-executed cable and less on whether or not they are shielded.

I had previously said good things about the Cable Matters CAT8. No, it’s not as good as the audiophile cable I compared it to. But its sins are largely that of omission. The CAT8 standard actually requires tighter tolerances so I think that might explain my impression of it. The shield is connected at both ends but I never tried to defeat it at one end so it may even be better when that’s done. I think the CAT8 standard also requires it to be shielded. I just checked the price on Amazon and it’s only $10.99 for one meter.

I learned of this cable in one of the thread in the Uptone forum on Audiophile Style. It was a thread about experimenting with the ER and it was Jud over there who first mentioned it. He tried a few others and I’m pretty sure he found another brand he liked more. Maybe Monoprice. It would be worth a look over there.

Thank you for sharing Gianluca. I am familiar with the LDOVR (not Sparkos) and know how it can be beneficial either with battery or other PSU. I do not want to drift away from the Audiophile network switch subject here but I am curious though what lps you compared it to in combination with Etherregen (or other). Good to hear you have such great results. What LiFePO4 battery capacity do you use and how long will one charge last for e.g. Etherregen? Thanks

1 Like

Paul, the charge of my 20Ah LiFePO4 powering the EtherRegen lasts ~60 hours and I disconnect the DC cord when the system is not in use so as 20Ah could even last 20 or 30 days! There are new excellent LiFePO4 batteries like the yellow Winston’s with 40 or 60Ah capacity. The battery outputs always more than 12V DC, up to 13,6V when it’s freshly and fully charged. However the EtherRegen guys said it’s absolutely not a problem, it doesn’t heat up more than usual, indeed.

I tested many linear PSU and the best one was the PLIXIR ELITE BDC 12V 4A (or even 2A would be enough) but it could do little compared to the LiFePO4 in terms of…low noise or no noise? :slight_smile:

I don’t believe in batteries when it comes to preamplifiers and power amplifiers but anything working at 12V DC or 5V DC really shines with a LiFePO4.

LiFePO4 is the technology inside the famous StromTank ( https://stromtank.com/ ) battery-based AC power supply (batteries + high quality inverter to output AC).

G

1 Like

Online UPS in a fancy enclosure?

returning to the topic of this thread,
i ordered a Pheonixnet this week. will be adding it to my two sotm switches before the K50. i will share my experience once it settles down

1 Like

Look forward to seeing how you get on. I have an Innuos in my system now and a K41 on order.

2 Likes

Hi, just a quick note.

Consider getting a 10Gb switch, or better still router. I use a $200 Mikrotik as a router and for that money it is silly good value.

I am also implementing LiFePO4 batteries for my Ethernet gear, need to take choosing the right size battery to match charger output. Best to use one battery per device to eliminate noise transfer via power connections.

1 Like