Audiophile network switches

Thanks Gianluca,
You made me curious enough to try a LiFePO4 in my setup.
By the way before you ditch Roon, try ROON server with Squeeze Player from NAS or the internal SSD. If possible compare different outputs to your DAC.

Excellent Paul, LiFePO4 won’t let you down! I’ll send you the right battery via private message.

So, should I try Squeeze player ON ROON server before fully switching to Squeeze server and player? Why this intermediate step?

Thanks, G

Running that way can lesson the harm Roon does. Some people might find the tradeoff acceptable. They can continue to use Roon’s awesome library management features while taking advantage sound quality gains they’d get from Squeeze or HQPlayer.

My understanding though is that a recent Roon upgrade reduced the gap between them. Roon itself is sounding better. Worth trying to let your ears decide.

2 Likes

Hi, in case you like this. Most people prefer Roon interface compared to any Squeeze interface. I would suggest this as an intermediate option you can try before making a total switch w/o Roon. If the improvement is satisfactory, why push it further? (But trying doesn’t hurt, many of us seem to like that :wink:

1 Like

Hi Wackerd,
I am interested to hear which Ansuz Powerswitch you are using that you consider to be far better than the Melco S100.
Ansuz makes 4 power switches, the X-TC, A2, D2 and D-TC Supreme.
Thanks, Herman

Hello Herman,

I use the A2 Powerswitch in combination with Ansuz Digitalz Ethernet D-TC cable which is activated with the low power output in the switch. I think, the D2 or D-TC switches could add on some improvements in sound quality. But I haven’t experienced this so far.

Kind Regards

wackerd

The easiest way to improve the sound of your Antipodes is to use the TP-Link LS105 in front of the server. Despite the fact that this box costs 20 euros, the increase in sound in the system is very noticeable. The use of a linear power supply for the TP link is also beneficial. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

I use a TP link LS105 after my CX’s ethernet output (before it goes to streamer/system). The switch is powered by the CX itself as the LS105 is 5v 0.6a. Use this cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09884339M?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_YY3KD1W3BAWTCT2GBGR3

Thanks for the tip, worth a try. Some put two TP links, one before entering the router, the other after. In each system, the effect may be different. Need to try.

A quick update on the sound after adding phoenixnet after the twin sotm switches.
The phoenixnet further improved my sound. Improvements in resolution and clarity and instrument separation. I am keeping it.

2 Likes

Try taking them both out, or try taking just the SOTM out. Also ask your friend/partner to do this for you. Then see if you can successfully identify which is which and even if any.

I do this quite regularly.
Lockdown gave me loads more time to experiment with my stereo.
Every now and then I take out switches and connect k50 directly to my router and let it play for a few days. And then connect them back. Call it tinkerers brain or whatever. :slight_smile:

I have to admit that it’s a bit difficult to explain what removing the switches does.
Music still sound enjoyable. It’s not a night and day difference. And most ppl will find standalone k50 with router absolutely end game stereo source.
Adding the switches back bring a feeling of
‘music is alive ‘
‘Musicians location between speakers ‘
Music sounds tighter , instrument separation

That being said. I am in no way recommending every single audiophile out there to invest in a switch.
I think music server tech is still ever evolving.
Maybe in near future we might see a server which has a audiophile switch built inside.

I think manufacturers currently are charging simply horrendous money for these switches. Which simply put are not that far from a regular switch. Yes I know they ain’t no Cisco or net gear to role out assembly lines producing 1000s of switches a day. But still , I simply can’t accept that an sotm switch internals (base version ) should cost 900€ here in Europe.

I hope that with time the prices of excellent entry level switches reach around 300 Mark so that more and more audiophile can experience them and reap their benefits.

I also think music server tech is still ever evolving.
Maybe in near future we might see a server which has a audiophile switch built inside. And these switches are rendered useless for the most part. A man can dream. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All i can say is if I bought a £17500 music server and it required an external switch to make it sounds good, I’d be sending it back…

2 Likes

I can understand and kinda agree with your notion. But unfortunately we are living in times where network audio hasn’t really matured yet like how cd did in 90s

Maybe @MarkCole can give his thoughts why an audiophile switch makes a profound effect on a high quality server like k50

1 Like

Have you tried EtherRegen out of curiosity?

The better the server, the lower the noise floor. So a network switch can actually matter more the better the server.

It’s been a reality in high end audio for a while that “be careful what you wish for” when upgrading to gear that significantly lowers the noise floor. I still remember being stunned that placing Stillpoints under my speakers made it apparent that the surface my turntable was resting on was coloring the sound. Everything matters more the more transparent and resolving a system becomes.

1 Like

So the better the server/kit the worse the inputs/outputs are?

Glad you’re not head of R&D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don’t think anyone is saying the K50 needs an external switch to make it sound good. It clearly sounds very good without one. However there are all sorts of tweaks including external switches that many of us are using to make our K50 sound even better but we cannot criticise Antipodes for that or say that it sounds poor without them because it doesn’t. I am very happy with the sound of my K50 without an external switch but I am even happier with the PhoenixNET.

@Tintin I had the EtherRegen and swopped that for the PhoenixNET. I thought the former coloured the sound whereas the latter sounded the same as playing local files with the ethernet cable pulled from the back of the K50.

No, I did not say that at all. Do you not know what is meant by the term “noise floor”?

I owned an Innous Zenith Mk3 before the K30. The K30 is better in every way. It lets you hear deeper into the music because the noise floor is so low. But the inevitable consequences of this is that my network tweaks matter more with the K30. This is not saying that the inputs are worse on the K30 because they most certainly are not. The difference was do to the Zenith itself generating more noise internally. That noise masked the noise the network was bringin in.

If you had an inexpensive server - like a PC - you wouldn’t have heard as much of a benefit from that switch - or maybe any benefit at all. The noise floor would be too high to appreciate it. This is how things work in the world of sensitive electronics.

3 Likes

Absolutely my experience too.
My system noise floor got strpped so low I can easily hear the noise floor of many recordings, as in the hiss and ambiance of the recording gear and studio or recording studio when there is silence. And consequently even little changes I make to my network are audible, even way upstream right out of the national network termination box which in my case has 1 EtherRegen, a fibre link, a 10Gbe router, an EX and wifi from there to the endpoint. It is simultaneously a curse and a blessing. But with some work and tweaking it sounds quite exceptional.

2 Likes