Network Acoustics Passive Filter, Anyone Have 1st Hand Experience?

Lovely system Martin - bet the Gryphon will be fantastic!

I have just added a Muon to my Oladra . Simple front end of router to Cat 6a ethernet to Muon to Oladra. Initial impressions are positive with improvement in harmonics and the richness of sound. The filter has reduced a digital edge from Roon (I use Roon server and Squeeze player for usability) but improved detail retrevial. I had an Innous PhoenixNet previously which I returned as I disliked the sense of slight constriction /containment it caused in my system - the Muon keeps the rhythm and air but with deeper black background.

I have no idea how a small light box of plastic does it?

Just out of interest did you have the K50 prior to your Oladra? Love the look of it and seems to be a lot of K50 owners trading up to it.

Is that the Muon Pro that you have?

Yes - I purchased a K50 and PhoenixNet and have subsequently traded them in for the Oladra. The Oladra is just that little bit more revealing of musical flow and detail while retaining the lovely organic sound which the K50 has.

Yes indeed. I am three day in with the burn in process and it has been a bot of sonic roller coaster. When first installed I could hear a clear improvement. However on day 2 the sound stage seemed to become more narrow and there was a slight blurring of the sound. Today things are gelling well with great depth and breadth to the soundstage and a rich tone to high frequencies and distinct bass.

Interestingly I feel the improvement is greatest with Roon server and Squeeze player than with Squeeze as server and player - no idea why that would be but I now prefer the sound to Roon with Squeeze?

What has been your experience?

I did try the Squeeze player and server option briefly and found it marginally more transparent however as a long term Roon user simply couldnā€™t put up with the ridiculously basic interface.
Roon sound seems to be getting better albeit probably in my head -I just love how it recommends other artists so my musical taste is getting broader which is a big plus.

2 Likes

I am completely in the other camp and regard the interface when I listen to music the same way as I do when I watch the tv or a film. All I want is an efficient way to select the tv programme or film then I settle down to watch it. In the case of music similarly all I want is an efficient way to find the album or play list on my SSD and then I settle down to listen to it. I do not want to read endless waffle about other music etc especially of it affects the sound quality which IMHO Roon does to the point of it being distracting.

All obviously YMMV etc etc :grinning:.

1 Like

I agree with you on the marginal better sound quality of squeeze and the minimal functionality of itā€™s gui. Music to me is not playing the same albums over and over but discovering new trends in the prog world. I do feel itā€™s possible for roon to improve itā€™s sound quality but roon/squeeze sounds very close to lms/squeeze.

1 Like

I mustnā€™t have gotten the memo as over the last week Iā€™ve been listening to mostly unfamiliar music or unfamiliar masterings over Squeeze.

If youā€™re a diehard Genesis fan, the newish BBC box set is awesome.

Definitely a fan except for Lamb and when they went pop. Squeeze, not so much. Looking forward to my call for the K30 G4 upgrade.

@Progisus I guess sound quality is in the ear of the listener. I repeatedly try to listen to Roon + Squeeze player because I have a lifetime subscription but each time within two or three tracks I find myself yearning for the much better sound quality of Squeeze + Squeeze. It is not at all a marginal thing to me. I just get so much more pleasure from listening without Roon. One day they might make Roon better but I have a suspicion that it is doomed by the constant need for Roon to communicate back to the mother ship.

1 Like

I was firmly in the Squeeze + Squeeze camp until I installed my Muon Pro - the improvement in streaming with Roon server into Squeeze player is to my ears marked. Perhaps not as transparent as Squeee + Squeeze but the Roon interface does make music discovery really easy

1 Like

@Vorrah I also have the Muon Pro and the matching cable so we are speaking from the same standpoint.

I have reverted to using the PhoenixNET with my Oladra and also as previously mentioned I have put Roon back in the cupboard but I will keep trying it, perhaps when I get my Oladra back from being upgraded.

Just for reference, the most noticeable effect of Roon in my system is a loss of transparency and cohesion in the upper bass and lower mid region. Also to some extent the same in the upper mids. I find bass also affected. The treble is also slightly less successful.

1 Like

Those in the Taiko world have reported better Roon sound quality after improving their networks with their newish switch. So what you mentioned isnā€™t surprising.

I do think the harm that Roon causes might not be as annoying to some ears as others.

A good chunk of my library includes much-loved music that has been tough on the ears as too much compression had been applied. Being able to enjoy this music without the harshness hindering my enjoyment has long been a goal - a goal that had seemed impossible to achieve. I was playing a random selection that took me through this music last night as was left somewhat astonished by how much easier it was to listen to this stuff. Sound quality was actually excellent though it was still evident that this music was overly-compressed.

I think what has caused me to spend as much as I have on my system is to get to the point where there are no artifacts interfering with my enjoyment of the music. That explains why I am in the Squeeze camp and willing to except LMSā€™s very basic user experience. Roon regardless of which player Iā€™ve used has always taken me one step back from achieving this - though it is a much smaller step back than in past years. Iā€™m eagerly awaiting HQPlayer 5 as reports suggest that this might help me take a step in that direction.

At some point I will pursue an audition of a Muon Pro. If it can help tame the Roon monster it would be a worthwhile investment.

roon/hqplayer5 is a definite improvement. For now it requires a separate processing computer for us Antipodes users. It may even sound better when we get the embedded version.

2 Likes

Very interesting insight.

I agree that Squeeze plus Squeeze sounds better - Until I installed the Muon I found Roon really dreadful but can now live with the sound and love the interface. Just found 2 new bands lst night that I really like.

For super critical listing I switch to Squeeze plus Squeeze:)

2 Likes

@kennyb123 @Vorrah

I have had a Muon Pro in my system for the past 2 weeks.

Iā€™m still experimenting with where best to place it but, so far, it seems to be most effective in the following chain;

tp-link AX55 ā†’ SGC sT i5 (Roon core. I havenā€™t yet migrated the core to my K41) ā†’ EtherRegen ā†’ Muon Pro ā†’ dCS Rossini Apex

To my ears, this configuration helps to ā€œtame the Roon monsterā€.

FYI, I donā€™t (yet?) use HQ Playerā€¦

1 Like

Nice set-up. Interesting that you have found the Muon to improve Roon?

1 Like

Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Muon Pro ā€œtamedā€ Roon, to certain extentā€¦

Whilst Iā€™m a big fan of Roonā€™s GUI (which is why I stick with it), I really wish that Roonā€™s SQ wasnā€™t so variable from build to buildā€¦

Maybe thatā€™ll change/improve one day. :crossed_fingers:

For the time being (whilst I transfer all of my music to the K41), Iā€™m avoiding Roon altogetherā€¦

Iā€™m simply enjoying listening to the files already on my K41 (PM893), using UPnP (MinimServer).

It sounds great! :grinning:

1 Like

My Muon Pro filter is staying in my system - after almost four weeks of use the unit is now proken in and the sound has really improved. My Oladra now sounds richer and more organic .

2 Likes