New Roon update

This is the Roon update thread (which for me happened automatically without a by your leave…)

I would look at the upgrade instructions on the website.

I did —- when I go to software manager and press update. It does not show 2.7 to 3.1. ( i already updated my 2.7 - to 2.8 and they said it would still show 2.7 ) Any suggestions

@ELI1333
Remote Support Instructions

Please follow the instructions above for remote access support

@andrewd

AMSv3.1 Upgrade

Check out the post onsite

Also sent via email to subscribers

Subscribe to Antipodes Mail

1 Like

Thanks Mark. Can you please clarify what is meant by the following since it is ambiguous:

‘ It is not necessary to remove or backup your data disks. But we recommend you do backup your data in case an unexpected hardware issue occurs during the upgrade.’

Do I need to make a backup or not? Do I back up all files or only the Roon backup files?

Also please provide more details about what I need to do with Roon. Do I need to sign out of the core first before upgrading?

@andrewd
Having a backup of all your music and Roon settings should be standard practice.
While no one has lost any music in the update process, we always recommend that you do back up just in case.
With regards Roon, the update will completely wipe your core, you will need to select a new core after update.
If you have playlists etc that you would like to preserve, then backing up to storage and/or external is required to be able to reinstate your Roon settings etc after update.
Do not backup Roon to Root, as this will also be wiped during the update.

Here is a wee instruction on Roon backups
Roon Back Thread

2 Likes

Hi,
Can some IT experts help. I am trying to copy my Roon backups from my Cx to a QNAP NAS drive. Both the CX and QNAP are connected via fast ethernet. However I use a Mac Pro which is connected via wifi as the interface to make the transfer. I can see the CX and the Qnap NAS on the Mac PRO and I click copy and paste in a finder window.

My question is, does this mean the files will be intermediately transfered to the Mac Pro via wifi first? Or will the files move directly from the CX to the NAS via fast ethernet?

It seems to be taking freaking ages to do the copy. It has been in ‘preparing to copy’ mode for about 20 minutes and has found 40000 files. At this rate it will take hours to copy the tiny 4.83 Gb Roon backup folder, and probably a month to copy the 156.28Gb music folder!

How do people do these backups in an efficient way? I know some people have multi Tb libraries, which would take a year to copy via ethernet.

I also have a Windows 10 machine at my disposal. To be able to see the CX in windows explorer I type \antipodes on the top bar, but it wants a user name and password. I have no idea what these are.

The Mac pro finally finished ‘preparing to copy’ and is now promising to copy the 4.8Gb to the NAS in 5 hours!!

LogIn is in my case:

admin

no password

1 Like

For those using Roon, be aware that there was a new release yesterday.

1 Like

My K50 updated without any problems, and I assume @MarkCole would have let us know if there were any cautions?

The interesting question, that I have yet to answer, is whether Roon Player on the K50 has now improved. Certainly using Roon Server/Squeezelite Player, it sounds very good, and possibly better than before the update. But the changes made for a better streaming experience could have a positive impact on the Roon Player?

@RDG
Hiya, I believe we have covered this off in a thread, but to directly respond…
Yes, Roon has improved, this in part was the Antipodes Software update and optimisations, and also Roon, changing their backend on how they handle Linux based servers.
Roon have announced their 1.8 update which further enhances how they handle streaming services, proof will be in the pudding when it arrives

Roon stable build 880 and then 882 went smooth as silk on my Edge.
Very happy customer of both Antipodes and Roon here

Roon updated to 884.

1 Like

Roon update 1.8 (Build 911) is live.

913 out already … looks like the bug spray is in the air already :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the head-up.

Roon updated to build 918.

1 Like

Roon 1.8 (Build 923) Release Notes

Roon Build 923 is now rolling out for macOS, Windows, Windows (64 Bit), Roon OS, and Linux.

Updated versions of Roon for Android and iOS have been submitted to their respective App Stores and will be available soon.

There is no update for Roon Bridge at this time.

All platforms and apps should update automatically.

Changes for Build 923:

• Web Displays and Chromecast overhaul
  • Now Playing screen refinement
  • Resolved a bug that could lead to repeated core crashes or significant increase in outbound internet traffic from the core
  • Improvement to search results when queried on part of a complete name
  • Improvements to scrolling and graphical performance on iOS and other platforms
  • Resolved an issue causing a crash in an attempt to add a track to the library with no library performances after visiting its composition details page
  • Resolved an issue where the content would be shifted on the browser’s page with an active text filter after returning from the details page
  • Resolved widget alignment issue in Composition section of the Search results page
  • Resolved an issue with a cropped text on the Onboarding page on Mobile
  • Resolved a crash in case of pressing “/” key while Credits tab is open
  • Resolved a variety of UI issues on an iPad 6 mini in portrait mode
  • Resolved a crash on iOS caused by Thai OS localization
  • Added absent week days strings to the translation system
  • Fixed absence of certain play actions on playlist and daily mix pages
  • Fixed inactive “Device info” link on Zone Settings pop-up
  • Removed incorrectly displayed bit-depth info for lossy codecs
1 Like

@MarkCole

Hi, I can’t get Roon to load any of the upgrades after build 913, it just says error checking for an update. I’ve cleared the Cache, restarted Roon in myantipodes and also restarted the K40, but still getting the same error.

Do I have to reinstall Roon Server on my K40, as would prefer not to if possible.