New Roon update

Hello, your email about the upgrade to 3.1 mentions people who are on 2.7 or 3.0 versions. About about customers who are currently on 2.8?

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

@abedirov for v2.8 follow the same process as v2.7

1 Like

Do 3.0 users need to do any preparation or just wait ?

@clive101

Hello Mark,
Thanks for the reply but reading the following text does not explain how to get v3.o ready…however it only refers to V2.7 ?
Thanks

Getting Ready

If you are on v2.7 or v3.0, you should spend some time now to get ready for the upgrade. Then you can relax until we advise you that you can upgrade.

• On v2.7?
    Open the Control Panel and navigate to Apps and then open Software Manager to complete a normal Update, which will still be to v2.7. This does not upgrade you to v3.1, but gets your music server ready for the upgrade.
  • Backups
    It is not necessary to remove or backup your data disks. But we recommend you do backup your data in case an unexpected hardware issue occurs during the upgrade. If you have made the mistake of placing your Roon database backup on the operating system disk, make sure you backup your Roon database to the storage disk and then copy it to a separate storage device.
  • Set Time Zone
    Make sure you have set your Time Zone correctly. When the upgrade is ready to go, we will send a small piece of code to your music server to allow you to run the upgrade. By setting your Time Zone correctly, we will be able to send this to you around 3.30am when you are unlikely to be using your system.

Hi Clive, it is the same process, sans going to the control panel to update.
Ensure that you are backed up externally and that your time zone is correctly set.

Thanks for confirming but I do not get the normal update in the v3.0 is there a normal update ?

@clive101, that’s correct there is no update option in AMS3.0.
When on v3.0 all you need to do is ensure that you are backed up externally and you have the correct time zone. That’s it.
Wait for things to happen :slightly_smiling_face:

With v3.0 and v3.1, there is no Update button. This is because we can push software changes to your music servers overnight. However, there are sometimes large changes that cannot and should not be done that way. The upgrade from v3.0 to v3.1 is one of those changes. We need to change the entire operating system and all of the applications this time. This requires a multi-step process of pushing down a new kernel plus some dependent files, then you will reboot into the new kernel and bring down more files, and then you will reboot into a custom version of the new kernel to bring down a large number of customised files. This takes a long time, and it involves risks - such as a user turning off their music server during the process.

Therefore, while the normal process with v3.0 and v3.1 is that we fix minor bugs and provide you with minor updates in the background, this is not and should not be the case when we are making such a large change as we are with v3.1. For this type of change, the user must be made aware of the process, choose a suitable time to complete the process (such as not during an electrical storm or any other time when a power cut might occur), take simple precautions such as backups, etc.

This is also not the last time we will be doing a large change such as this. There are some things on the horizon that we can already see that are so desirable that we are already working on the next complete change of operating system. But it is not practical to leave this change till then, partly because of the Roon change, but also because getting all Antipodes users to a common software platform makes future changes simpler and faster to develop. For example, one of the reasons the development of the update to v3.1 has taken a massive amount of work is that we needed to build one process to upgrade v3.0 users to v3.1, and another process to upgrade v2.7 users to v3.1, and then merge them into a single process that would cover both cases.

While this update involves making sure that you can run the latest version of Roon on 3 November, that is a very very minor part of what is happening. We endeavour to bring you a range of best-of-breed software. Sometimes a third-party launches an update of their software that has dependencies that require us to make a change to the operating system, not just an application update. Often we can accommodate that simply. But around every 5 years the adjustments to the operating system accumulate to the point where performance and stability demand a complete refresh of the operating system. This upgrade to v3.1 is one of those times.

2 Likes

Hello Antipodes forum
I was given the link to this thread by Mark Cole who by the way has been most helpful to myself in all things Antipodes!
My question and concern.
I am presently using an Edge as streamer, Roon Core and renderer which it does a superb job of.
However software is 2.5 and no updates are being shown available.
How would i get this up to the latest version so I can continue to enjoy the usage of the Edge as Roon Core?
Thank you and stay safe
Kevin

@TheHammer please see previous post, for remote access to upgrade to 2.7

1 Like

Done!
Thank you very much!

The 3.1 upgrade page (see the link above) has been edited to explain the full upgrade process. We expect to complete the code this week, and early next week will begin preparing the roll-out.

2 Likes

The 3.1 upgrade page has been updated to explain how to upgrade from v2.5 to v2.7, so that your music server is ready for the upgrade to v3.1.

1 Like

Outstanding job and many thanks to Antipodes and Mark for the assistance.
Now upgraded from 2.5 to 2.7 and awaiting the final push when its ready.
A very happy customer indeed here!

2 Likes

My CX is not visible on antipodes.audio/myantipodes/ but is visible on myantipodes.com. The software is on 2.7 is the required 2019 software update installed or do I need to contact support for the 2019 update?

Hi Carlos,

I asked the same question. See the answer in reaction 15 above. It should not be a problem.

Edwin

For you it’s is clear the 2019 update is installed for me not. How do I know if the 2019 update is installed?

Normally if you can’t see your CX on antipodes.audio/myantipodes, your CX does not have the 2019 update. However, my EX does have the 2019 update, but become invisible on antipodes.audio/myantipodes since a few months.

I think best solution is to ask Antipodes to check your CX (over network) on the 2019 update, before starting the 3.1 update. Good luck!

Thanks, think it is very unclear specified if you have the 2019 update or not. Await also the antipodes response on my posts.