Software/Player App for Antipodes Streamers

Has any further work on AMSv3 been halted in lieu of work on AMSv4? A big promise of AMSv3 was more frequent updates. Are you having to revisit the update process in AMSv4 to make that go more smoothly?

@kennyb123
Frequent updates of apps? Or the OS?
Can you explain what you mean by smoothly please :slightly_smiling_face:

You had been jumping through hoops to resolve update issues. Plus it seemed as if updates had come to a halt so I just wondered if there was any connection. No complaints from me.

Hi @kennyb123
I hear you, we have 2 apps to be updated at present, HQPlayer and MPD.
MPD is currently unavailable to us to update, hopefully, this will be resolved shortly.
HQPlayer is ready to go, but as we are in Munich, we made the decision to postpone to ensure we have a full team to support the roll out, just in case, having said that, it is a relatively simple app update.
Also we are aware some users did not like frequent updates, and expect the units to just work, obviously we need to keep pace with the app suite we include, and test the updates prior to installation, updates are required, a more tailored approach to update schedule is also on the cards.

1 Like

Thank you Mark, for sharing how Antipodes is using RAM, UI and Sonicorbiter and more (specially even taking the time at the end of an apparently very successful High End Munich 2022). It makes for an interesting read. Glad to see confirmed Antipodes is on top of this and exploiting playing from RAM in their servers while integrating the best in the upcoming AMSv4. Of course I did not expect otherwise :wink: . Very much look forward to the next version.

How did Antipodes take in consideration the quality and quantity of the installed RAM in their servers?

For example: more expensive wide temperature or industrial RAM can boost sound quality according to (certain) audiophiles. It seems in the S30, the M.2 SATA module is industrial but not the SO-DIMM.

This makes me think SO-DIMM is used to buffer the tracks instead of M.2 SATA. So why not increase to 8Gb capacity instead of 4Gb in a S30? It would be a minor cost increase to upgrade the chosen ADATA 4Gb to 8Gb, maybe there is no important benefit? Or Antipodes is (only) using a buffer on the M.2 SATA?

Antipodes S30 v.2021 with V5X board

When is AMSv4 due to come out, is AMSv3.13 the latest?

V3.13 is the current software version.
AMS4 ETA end of July ish

Thanks @MarkCole

Out of curiosity is there anywhere on Antipodes that shows what the upgrade to AMS4 will provide?

@Celts88
At the moment it will be a surprise :nerd_face:
Functionality, ease of use, and access to information about the server.
All GUI change only.

4 Likes

When to expect new software update?

1 Like

just updated to 3.14
maybe I missed it but I don’t really see any gui change or additional feature

edit: the notification which announces the update did mention that it deals with HQ player update to latest version

I just updated, too.
Now Roon won’t play using HQ Player Server, whereas it has been ultra-reliable lately.
Not sure where it went wrong…
Tried rebooting everything from server, player DAC etc
Eventually after changing some HQP config settings (and changing them back!), we have lift-off. All is well.

I have just updated to 3.14 as well. I could have sworn that the update said it comprised an update to Material Skin, ie the Squeeze interface although when I watched the update in progress it did load HQP packages.

@MarkCole can you clarify please what the 3.14 comprises?

1 Like

Apologies, I have been away with family for the weekend.

The deployment of HQPlayer did not go to plan, we are still operating on v4.31.0

There were updates deployed for Material for Squeeze, not the actual app.

Our developer is working thru the HQPlayer deployment of v4.32.4

@MarkCole I think you are allowed a weekend off!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
At first sight I did not notice any differences with Material. Can you say what the differences are just to stop me having to look?

There are no viewable changes, just operational backend tweaks to the skin.

1 Like

so what is the best roon alternative - by best i mean audio quality + reasonably good music library management software?

what UI can be used for squeeze?

Does AMS4.0 just bring changes to the admin panels for managing the hardware? or has your music management/playing software also been revamped?

For example Material
:9000 is the default port (for LMS).
Or port 9001
For example: 192.168.1.132:9000