Software/Player App for Antipodes Streamers

The software version is a number for a currently available LMS version.

As far as sonic orbiter see screenshot below and the server reported when opening the config screen. I’m not sure how long you have been enjoying your Antipodes. After the first couple AMS versions you could still run the sonicorbiter commands from the browser command line. After reporting this the password was instituted. Hopefully they bring back the system loading info screen soon.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. I am only saying that I don’t believe the squeeze code has been rewritten by Antipodes other than perhaps some default settings.

I am one who also believes Roon’s sound quality has improved over the last years updates. I still prefer to use the HQPLAYER engine with Roon and set it to bit perfect playback. I know Nick likes to dis roon but he also never listens to headphones. :laughing:. I agree squeeze is marginally better than roon for sound quality but roon’s gui and Tidal/Qobuz integration leaves it far behind.

Thanks for the insight Progisus. I am relatively new to Antipodes. I am currently using a S30 (+ Ferrum Hypsos psu) in combination with a server to compare performance of the Antipodes player board with other player(s).

When I purchased the S30 player board was a V5X, the same as the K50 at that time (at least that’s what I had understood). I was curious how Antipodes player board and software produced this sound quality. (Today player boards in S30 & K50 are not the same anymore; V6X & V5.1X). Hence my curiosity about the tweaks to the software and me insisting to update the outdated Squeeze and MPD (if ever that could make a difference?).

I do not think Antipodes said they rewrote the code, but more that they applied (a few?) tweaks. Of course if you are familiar with Squeezebox server it’s not a big deal to apply tweaks or install apps, but it’s the right combination of tweaks and choises made, or not, that count to obtain the best sound quality.

As for Roon, I agree with you there has been improvement and very good results are possible. Roon UI is unbeatable, if you really need that to listen to music of course.

You mentioned headphones, I do not like them, so here speakers and room acoustics (with or w/o Dirac) play an important role.

I’m a head-fi listener for music and a speaker guy for my home theatre. Although I have run ARC Genesis for room dsp it is really about the sound effects for me. It is not fair of me to compare my headphone listening to those running speaker systems when it comes to choosing playback software.

I am running a K30 but sometimes wish I had gone the S series. They are much more flexible. I also have an EX which runs squeeze player and MPD server for my PGGB files.

You may want to check out the Antipodes forum on head-fi as well.

Greetings from Munich :slight_smile:

Playing from RAM. All music server software, that I have ever seen and worked with, do just that. There are two key goals of the player software designer in this area: get the music playing as soon as possible; get the entire music file into RAM as soon as possible.
Are there differences in the code between different solutions? Yes, because there is a short period in some situations when you have started playing the file but do not yet have all of the file into RAM yet. Not everyone addresses this the same way. For example, this is what streaming protocols address. And if the file is too large for the available RAM then there may be some differences in approach. But for anyone to tout that they do something unique, because they put the entire file into RAM for playback, would be highly misleading.

Does Antipodes use Sonicorbiter software? Yes we do. One reason is that Sonicoriter does a very effective job in a number of areas. Equally, we focus our coding on three areas: improving sound quality; improving the ease of use for customers; adding functionality not present in the Sonicorbiter suite.

To clarify this, it is worth explaining what areas of Sonicorbiter we do not choose to mess with.

When a customer uses the GUI interface to change a setting, this change in setting is either made to a system variable, or to a configuration file in the third-party software. In some of these cases, this is pretty much standard stuff, such as when ALSA gets told what output to use to play music. This does not constrain you from having your own implementation of ALSA. It is just about getting one part of the ALSA file changed from one setting to another. In other cases, there may be more complexity, such as ensuring the new setting is accompanied by an optimised set of settings that we have decided we like the sound of.

Executing this is not as simple as it may sound. Sonicorbiter has worked closely with third-party application providers to make a wide variety of applications work seamlessly in the one system and with stability. This work they do is highly valued by Antipodes. Could we do it ourselves? Yes. But why bother unless we can improve on it. In AMSv4 (yet to be released, at the time of writing this), we do add a lot of functionality to make more of the power of the overall system easily available to users, but this does not undo any of the solid work Sonicorbiter does to integrate things together very nicely.

Changing some settings may also seem simple. It isn’t. Any web app that involves input from users is a potential gateway for hackers, and so the architecture of web apps makes it quite complex to pass settings, selected at a page the user has access to, to the system level. Sonicorbiter has a thoroughly effective way that it enables this, and given the many settings available across the entire system, it is a very significant task to make that work dependably every time.

Antipodes has been making changes in its implementation of the Sonicorbiter software for around 6 years now, and Sonicorbiter is aware of that. Our initial emphasis was on optimising the sound quality of the total system and of each of the third-party playback apps, to the extent possible and without violating anyone’s rights. In the last three years we have added an emphasis on usability, and we have only just begun to implement our vision in that area. You will see some big changes in AMSv4, but we already have a future vision on how we will go a lot further.

To be clear, we use the great work that Sonicorbiter does to create a highly integrated and highly stable platform for what we do. There is not much point in focusing on fixing what isn’t broken, and indeed is the best integration in the industry. There is a lot of point in focusing on making things sound better, and on making the user interface simpler and more powerful. That is where we focus our energies.

We do have a large and detailed plan for where we are headed, but in the software world, these things take time. And as any sensible company would do it, we pick off the things that deliver the biggest bang for the buck first and then move onto the next thing.

2 Likes

Has any further work on AMSv3 been halted in lieu of work on AMSv4? A big promise of AMSv3 was more frequent updates. Are you having to revisit the update process in AMSv4 to make that go more smoothly?

@kennyb123
Frequent updates of apps? Or the OS?
Can you explain what you mean by smoothly please :slightly_smiling_face:

You had been jumping through hoops to resolve update issues. Plus it seemed as if updates had come to a halt so I just wondered if there was any connection. No complaints from me.

Hi @kennyb123
I hear you, we have 2 apps to be updated at present, HQPlayer and MPD.
MPD is currently unavailable to us to update, hopefully, this will be resolved shortly.
HQPlayer is ready to go, but as we are in Munich, we made the decision to postpone to ensure we have a full team to support the roll out, just in case, having said that, it is a relatively simple app update.
Also we are aware some users did not like frequent updates, and expect the units to just work, obviously we need to keep pace with the app suite we include, and test the updates prior to installation, updates are required, a more tailored approach to update schedule is also on the cards.

1 Like

Thank you Mark, for sharing how Antipodes is using RAM, UI and Sonicorbiter and more (specially even taking the time at the end of an apparently very successful High End Munich 2022). It makes for an interesting read. Glad to see confirmed Antipodes is on top of this and exploiting playing from RAM in their servers while integrating the best in the upcoming AMSv4. Of course I did not expect otherwise :wink: . Very much look forward to the next version.

How did Antipodes take in consideration the quality and quantity of the installed RAM in their servers?

For example: more expensive wide temperature or industrial RAM can boost sound quality according to (certain) audiophiles. It seems in the S30, the M.2 SATA module is industrial but not the SO-DIMM.

This makes me think SO-DIMM is used to buffer the tracks instead of M.2 SATA. So why not increase to 8Gb capacity instead of 4Gb in a S30? It would be a minor cost increase to upgrade the chosen ADATA 4Gb to 8Gb, maybe there is no important benefit? Or Antipodes is (only) using a buffer on the M.2 SATA?

Antipodes S30 v.2021 with V5X board

When is AMSv4 due to come out, is AMSv3.13 the latest?

V3.13 is the current software version.
AMS4 ETA end of July ish

Thanks @MarkCole

Out of curiosity is there anywhere on Antipodes that shows what the upgrade to AMS4 will provide?

@Celts88
At the moment it will be a surprise :nerd_face:
Functionality, ease of use, and access to information about the server.
All GUI change only.

4 Likes

When to expect new software update?

1 Like

just updated to 3.14
maybe I missed it but I don’t really see any gui change or additional feature

edit: the notification which announces the update did mention that it deals with HQ player update to latest version

I just updated, too.
Now Roon won’t play using HQ Player Server, whereas it has been ultra-reliable lately.
Not sure where it went wrong…
Tried rebooting everything from server, player DAC etc
Eventually after changing some HQP config settings (and changing them back!), we have lift-off. All is well.

I have just updated to 3.14 as well. I could have sworn that the update said it comprised an update to Material Skin, ie the Squeeze interface although when I watched the update in progress it did load HQP packages.

@MarkCole can you clarify please what the 3.14 comprises?

1 Like

Apologies, I have been away with family for the weekend.

The deployment of HQPlayer did not go to plan, we are still operating on v4.31.0

There were updates deployed for Material for Squeeze, not the actual app.

Our developer is working thru the HQPlayer deployment of v4.32.4

@MarkCole I think you are allowed a weekend off!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
At first sight I did not notice any differences with Material. Can you say what the differences are just to stop me having to look?

There are no viewable changes, just operational backend tweaks to the skin.

1 Like