Software/Player App for Antipodes Streamers

so what is the best roon alternative - by best i mean audio quality + reasonably good music library management software?

what UI can be used for squeeze?

Does AMS4.0 just bring changes to the admin panels for managing the hardware? or has your music management/playing software also been revamped?

For example Material
:9000 is the default port (for LMS).
Or port 9001
For example: 192.168.1.132:9000

There is no best Roon alternative UI wise :frowning:
But there is sound wise :slight_smile:
Squeeze +squeeze

sorry i dont understand, is Material and app thatā€™s need to be downloaded/installed or it just runs from AMS server?

Squeeze server allows you to manage your library using either a web browser or an app. When using a browser, there are choices of ā€œskinsā€. This determines the look. ā€œMaterial Skinā€ is the best of the bunch. Antipodes sets this to be the default skin.

After updating to AMS v4, you can launch Squeeze with the Material skin by clicking Play with preset set to Squeeze. This will open a new tab. I recommend that you bookmark it.

1 Like

Sorry if it was not clear.

Material runs from AMS. Just type the local IP address of the Antipodes and add at the end :9000. In my case that did not work so (as suggested in this forum) I tried 192.xxx.x.xx:9001.

You can look up your ip in the Antipodes software or myantipodes will show the ip in the address bar.

1 Like

What? Did you replace K30 with K50 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:? Or is it (above) a stock image?

Really loving this updateā€¦In recent weeks Iā€™d been really happy with Roon V2.0 server and player, but having the ability to change easily to Squeeze, with or without Roon Server is just fantastic.

Still need Roon for other zones, and Iā€™m not always convinced Squeeze is so much better, so it is great to move between the options so easily.

Upgrade was very smooth on the K50.

2 Likes

are you mostly using squeeze or roon player then? just got my antipodes and cant hear a huge difference if any

Iā€™m mainly using Squeeze Player on my main system, yet feel there isnā€™t a great difference. I think Squeeze might sound a little clearer, but it also sounds a bit more ā€˜digitalā€™ to me. It is so hard to describe these differencesā€¦

I might give Squeeze Server another go, though the drawback is that on many UK radio stations, TuneIn only has very low bit rates, and Roon is much better on that. Plus the interface remains a joy.

Still, itā€™s great to be able to experiment without too much hassle.

2 Likes

I am a new Antipode K50 owner and am struggling a bit to get things set up. Iā€™d like to use Squeeze player with Roon server as I believe it best suits my needs. That being said, my initial impression from a sound quality perspective are not great, the sound is quite digital and fatiguing.

Where can I find this setting?

Thanks

Maybe this is a good start?

I donā€™t use Roon with Squeeze, but I think itā€™s recommend to turn off FLAC compression.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m beginning to think Iā€™m blind or stupid, I cannot find this dashboard in the server console

Do you mean the screenshot that I posted? If so itā€™s in Roon. You need to go to the Audio tab under Settings. Find the device under Squeezebox and click that gear icon.

2 Likes

Thank you sir! Iā€™m curious if it was this difficult for everyone?

Iā€™m being told to turn off the LMS which Iā€™m assuming is on the K50.

Rather then bother all of you with this stuff is, there a level 2 user guide that touches on all this stuff?

30 years in the bowels of the IP comms market and I havenā€™t a clue what Iā€™m doing hereā€¦very humbling.

Let me ask this another way. Can I run roon server on K50, with squeeze player running, using a squeezelite app to control musicā€¦both stored locally and streamed from qobuzā€¦andā€¦turn off flac compression?

Iā€™ve tried everything I can find online

Multiple Server apps can run simultaneously, while only one Player app can run at a time. It is an oddity of Roon that it canā€™t find the Squeeze player if Squeeze server is running. The good news is that the Solution dashboard presets takes care of this for you. If you select ā€œSqueeze Player with Roon Server (Auto)ā€, the Squeeze server app will be shutdown. If you then switch to "Squeeze (Auto), the Squeeze server app will be started.

My recommendation is that you select ā€œRoon (Auto)ā€ for the time being. This is the simplest way to get Roon going.

I get how challenging this can be. I actually came to Antipodes already familiar with most of the third party apps, but I took it easy the first 3 months by just sticking with Roon. Your K50 will likely improve a lot over the next few months, so just focus on enjoying your music with Roon for the time being.

2 Likes