Squeeze playing but no sound - Possible solution

So if you dont use iPeng, but the web interface instead, what happens?

Hello Mark,

Yes, that seems to work well - so far…

Interesting data point. I am a very infrequent iPeng user as I prefer the web interface. I will poke around in it a bit see if I can reproduce your issue.

I was actually using iPeng on my Apple Watch the other night to stop and start playback when doing listening comparisons. I like doing these with the room darkened so the little screen on my Watch is perfect for that.

I have now abandoned the possibility of using iPeng and have since started using the Material web player. Not bad. But how can I change the skin as I read it somewhere?

Currently there is no Skin change. Just light/dark mode.
We have a re-worked and updated Squeeze that will enable theme change etc currently in testing.
We have a major software roll-out due, it is “big” in terms of size, and function.
ETA yet to be determined as testing and bug-fix is still in progress.

2 Likes

You don’t need Roon, use MPD instead, it does exactlly the same effect.

Hi all,
I have just recently encountered this same problem. I leave my K50 on all the time. I turn the Dac, pre and amp off when I am finished listening. It does not seem to matter if I am using Roon/Squeeze or Roon/Roon. When I want to play music again, I turn all on, go into Roon, pick music and hit play. The player shows activity but no sound. My Dac shows the USB connection with the K-50 but the Dac also continues to say ready as it is not getting the signal.
This has only been happening about a week when I disconnected the usb cable.
BTW, just out of the blue, I changed from Roon/Roon to Roon/ Squeeze and music was heard. It did not seem to matter which way the change was made. Seemed to free up a locked up situation.

Powering down a DAC can throw things into confusion. One can get lucky occasionally and find things get sorted out upon powering the DAC back on, but it’s far from 100% reliable. Linux is a great operating system for audio since it is so lightweight. The downside though is that the Lunix OS isn’t as robust when it comes to responding to devices that come and go.

Always good to leave a DAC powered on at all times for the best sound quality. Another plus is that by leaving the DAC powered on the Player almost always behaves predictably.

You may need to restart your K50 using the front switch. Be sure to leave your DAC powered up while the K50 boots.

Thanks Kenny. All my buddies leave their dacs on. I know too that it will sound best that way!

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m surprised that, in the face of these recurring problems with Squeeze, Antipodes simply advises changing to Solution plugin, ie Roon or MPD.
I know that Squeeze is an open software, but, given the frequency of problems and the cost of devices, Antipodes should make an effort to make Squeeze more stable.
On the other hand, I regret that in the Squeeze version of Antipodes it is not possible to have the presentation in list form and that the images only appear on the tracks and not on the discs themselves.
Sincerely

I think most Squeeze users are finding Squeeze to be perfectly stable. I’ve been using it for probably 5 years (first with Innuous and now with Antipodes) and it has worked flawlessly.

If you are experiencing instability then it’s likely you are either powering things down or something is amiss with your setup in particular. Maybe consider booking a support call with Antipodes.

So while I find Squeeze stable, it no doubt has some quirks that require the user to jump through a few additional hoops if they want things to appear properly in their library. MPD has these issues too, unfortunately. I find that the best way to have images appear on all my tracks and albums is to save the album art to a file called folder.jpg in the same folder are the album and then remove embedded artwork from the files themselves. I have long wished that Squeeze server would do a better job with this but this is one of the huge downsides of open source software. The best way for Antipodes to resolve this is to offer an alternative to Squeeze server similar to what Innuos offered with their Sense app. I believe Antipodes understands as well that they will need to take on a project like this. It could take years to complete though.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. But neverless, I am not the only one to have trouble with squeeze on Antipodes: the related blog is full of people encountering the same problem. That the reason why I posted.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t mean to be insensitive to your concerns. I see that you reported the following. Did you also book a support call?

Do you leave your S30 and your DAC powered up all the time?

I don’t think we should read too much into the quality of software based on problem solving forum pages created by a small minority of users. If we google any software name followed by ‘not working’, ‘problem’ etc + ‘forum’, and judge the software on that basis, there would be nothing left to use (not for playing music, nor for any other field).

Most of the solutions on this thread involved turning it off and turning it on again (i.e. the software and/or the hardware). I wish all the other unrelated computer issues that cross my desk every week were so simple, and with such good support when needed.

Yes I leave the S30 S60 plugged, and at the beginning it worked and I thanked Mark for the idea. But after some times it restarted but less often. Il fact in my case Squeeze stops with no reason either during reading or at the end of a track.I go directly to Solution, switch to mpd, then to squeeze and it starts again. But it’s tedious.

That is a bit frustrating. I had that about a year ago on a few occasions. Since then it only seems to need it on rare occasions when restarting the Antipodes or the DAC, and I don’t do that very often. (You didn’t mention your DAC, but I assume you keep that powered on too?). I don’t recall what changed to stopped this, if anything, but others may have more ideas about it.

Some DACs go into a power savings mode. This could cause the USB connection to drop. Squeeze stability would suffer in this case.

Bottom line is that Squeeze stability it best achieved by leaving the server and DAC not just plugged in but powered up all the time. If stability issues still arise and Antipodes has confirmed that AMS and Squeeze are properly configured then it could very well be that there’s a hardware or cabling issue.

Good to know if I ever look to upgrade, as I would not want to lose Squeeze.

I have also wondered if many people use valve DACs with Antipodes+Squeeze (Lampi’s come to mind). Unless their is a way to turn off valves without shutting down the USB receiving part of the box (which may or may not be nonsensical), it could get quite expensive with valve replacements to keep it on.

Thank you all for your help.
I dont leave my dac (Sugden) powered all the time. I shall do it from now.

1 Like

There’s a chance you might even be rewarded with better sound quality, as digital products tend to sound best when thermal stability has been reached.