Squeeze playing but no sound - Possible solution

Sorry to hear this as I’m sure that’s frustrating as heck. Good move to book an appointment.

If you choose the roon with squeeze solution then squeeze server shouldn’t be running. Ive booked an appointment as theres something wrong here vs 4.3 which worked perfectly

I have had this issue some time ago. Only solution back then was to leave on my Dac and switch off the EX both with front button and then really turn off power at the back. After restarting the EX my Dac was found again. For some reason this has not happened the last say six to nine months.

I still cannot figure out how iPeng just stops detecting my EX as player 99.9% of the time. Even if it does, it drops off halfway. Squeeze works for me though but I very much still prefer iPeng interface. I wonder if anyone can share with me the settings on their CX/EX. Mine is like this:

As you can see, EX is not detected as player.

Current CX setting above.

Current EX setting above - I tried to toggle between the presets (Squeeze Auto etc) and still the problem persisted.

**Of course, absolutely iPeng no issue when I switch in my SOTM 200 Ultra Neo in place of the EX.

What happens when you restart Squeeze from the Player dashboard? Does iPeng see it again?

Try going to the EX player dashboard:

Select More:

And change the Squeeze option for finding the server.

This worked for me.

1 Like

Hi Hi,

Yes, I did tried and played around everything - Sometimes it will work but until the next session. Generally, I will spend 15-20min figuring this out until it either works or I simply give up.

So if you dont use iPeng, but the web interface instead, what happens?

Hello Mark,

Yes, that seems to work well - so far…

Interesting data point. I am a very infrequent iPeng user as I prefer the web interface. I will poke around in it a bit see if I can reproduce your issue.

I was actually using iPeng on my Apple Watch the other night to stop and start playback when doing listening comparisons. I like doing these with the room darkened so the little screen on my Watch is perfect for that.

I have now abandoned the possibility of using iPeng and have since started using the Material web player. Not bad. But how can I change the skin as I read it somewhere?

Currently there is no Skin change. Just light/dark mode.
We have a re-worked and updated Squeeze that will enable theme change etc currently in testing.
We have a major software roll-out due, it is “big” in terms of size, and function.
ETA yet to be determined as testing and bug-fix is still in progress.

2 Likes

You don’t need Roon, use MPD instead, it does exactlly the same effect.

Hi all,
I have just recently encountered this same problem. I leave my K50 on all the time. I turn the Dac, pre and amp off when I am finished listening. It does not seem to matter if I am using Roon/Squeeze or Roon/Roon. When I want to play music again, I turn all on, go into Roon, pick music and hit play. The player shows activity but no sound. My Dac shows the USB connection with the K-50 but the Dac also continues to say ready as it is not getting the signal.
This has only been happening about a week when I disconnected the usb cable.
BTW, just out of the blue, I changed from Roon/Roon to Roon/ Squeeze and music was heard. It did not seem to matter which way the change was made. Seemed to free up a locked up situation.

Powering down a DAC can throw things into confusion. One can get lucky occasionally and find things get sorted out upon powering the DAC back on, but it’s far from 100% reliable. Linux is a great operating system for audio since it is so lightweight. The downside though is that the Lunix OS isn’t as robust when it comes to responding to devices that come and go.

Always good to leave a DAC powered on at all times for the best sound quality. Another plus is that by leaving the DAC powered on the Player almost always behaves predictably.

You may need to restart your K50 using the front switch. Be sure to leave your DAC powered up while the K50 boots.

Thanks Kenny. All my buddies leave their dacs on. I know too that it will sound best that way!

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m surprised that, in the face of these recurring problems with Squeeze, Antipodes simply advises changing to Solution plugin, ie Roon or MPD.
I know that Squeeze is an open software, but, given the frequency of problems and the cost of devices, Antipodes should make an effort to make Squeeze more stable.
On the other hand, I regret that in the Squeeze version of Antipodes it is not possible to have the presentation in list form and that the images only appear on the tracks and not on the discs themselves.
Sincerely

I think most Squeeze users are finding Squeeze to be perfectly stable. I’ve been using it for probably 5 years (first with Innuous and now with Antipodes) and it has worked flawlessly.

If you are experiencing instability then it’s likely you are either powering things down or something is amiss with your setup in particular. Maybe consider booking a support call with Antipodes.

So while I find Squeeze stable, it no doubt has some quirks that require the user to jump through a few additional hoops if they want things to appear properly in their library. MPD has these issues too, unfortunately. I find that the best way to have images appear on all my tracks and albums is to save the album art to a file called folder.jpg in the same folder are the album and then remove embedded artwork from the files themselves. I have long wished that Squeeze server would do a better job with this but this is one of the huge downsides of open source software. The best way for Antipodes to resolve this is to offer an alternative to Squeeze server similar to what Innuos offered with their Sense app. I believe Antipodes understands as well that they will need to take on a project like this. It could take years to complete though.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. But neverless, I am not the only one to have trouble with squeeze on Antipodes: the related blog is full of people encountering the same problem. That the reason why I posted.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t mean to be insensitive to your concerns. I see that you reported the following. Did you also book a support call?

Do you leave your S30 and your DAC powered up all the time?