Upgrading AMSv3.1

Thanks for everyone’s patience. There is a lot going on at present, but I will try to be concise.

We can see from our database that more than a thousand users upgraded in the first few days, and amongst that we were always going to have a few failures, given that we needed two kernel downloads over the internet to work without a hitch. This is no consolation if you are one of those that struck a problem, and you are our top priority right now, but the failure rate has been very low.

While Mark Cole has been the point person for all of you, three of us are working in the background, getting reports from Mark about what is going wrong for some users, feeding Mark with fixes where they can be simply applied, and/or developing patches for the next push.

The next push will include updated third party apps, upgrades to the myantipodes process, a couple of bug fixes, and a new Squeeze remote control web app. We have a large software development program underway, but the critical first step is getting users onto a common v3.1 starting point.

I think it is worth clarifying a couple of messages that it seems we have not communicated well enough. The first is about the need for patience with the upgrade steps, and the second is about how overnight updates work.

The need for patience.

The upgrade steps include downloading and installing a new kernel for the operating system. A new operating system needs to interrogate all hardware components on the main board and some connected boards, and then configure its device drivers to ensure that everything will run as it is intended. For example, the same kernel is being installed on a DS1 from 2011 and a K50 from 2021 and every motherboard we have used in the decade between those. The differences in drivers required have to be determined and configured for each music server. This happens the first time you boot into the new kernel, and that process has a set time limit of a couple of minutes. The time limit is necessary because, in our experience, users often panic at a long boot and pull the plug, potentially causing a more serious problem.

So you might not get a completed configuration at the first boot after Step 3/3. So another reboot or more may be needed to get everything configured properly, depending on the quality of your internet connection. A number of factors will affect how long it takes to get the job done. I think we had a dozen or so reported upgrade failures that resolved themselves after as many as four reboots. I have only touched on one of the reasons why this is not a simple ‘press a button and it is done’ kind of process, but it might help you to understand that the system needs to be given time to sort itself out, and this is normal.

Overnight Updates.

Prior to v3.0, we did not have a way to push updates out automatically. Customers had to initiate the updates, which led to our many customers being on a range of different generations of operating system and applications. This makes it very difficult to provide support and ongoing software upgrades.

Nor were we in a position to do anything about that without getting the update code onto your devices. We did manage to get the code out to a few devices with an update in 2019, but not many customers took up that offer. All v.3 devices have the update code. So this v3.1 upgrade process is flushing out who still needs the update code and Mark Cole is progressively getting it out there.

In some cases poorly setup IPv6 configurations on DNS servers managed by your ISPs are also getting in the way of the update code being able to work. Fortunately this is impacting only a small percentage of users, but we are giving them top priority at the moment. Changing your DNS server addresses and/or disabling IPv6 on your router is typically going to be needed to fix these ones, as the problem has nothing to do with our code. Sadly these problems are not uncommon when a new internet standard is rolled out - if you can browse the internet and send emails, then that is sometimes all your ISP tests for when implementing on their DNS servers. It eventually works itself out and right now IPv6 implementations are creating problems for a wide range of software that requires sophisticated communications. In our case, the fault does not lie with our software, it lies with a small number of ISPs.

Once we have actions underway for all customers that need a fix, we will shift our focus to the ongoing overnight updates, to push out new versions of apps, bug fixes, enhancements, etc. We do not want to interrupt your listening pleasure, so these updates are timed for around 3:30am. To receive the update your device needs to be booted up and left on overnight.

If you like, just do this once a week or once a month, but if you want the optimum sound quality from your Antipodes music server you should typically be leaving it always on anyway. At 3.30am, your device will look at the Antipodes repository and check that it is up to date. If it sees that there are later versions of any software components it will download and install them. Sometimes an internet issue will mean your device is timed out from the repository and you will get the update on another night.

We only add new software components to the repository when they have been fully tested on our operating system and with our integration code. We do not put a new app in the repository just because the third-party software developer has a newer version, because that risks your server receiving a version that will not work on your device. The only exception to this is Roon, where our partnership with Roon means there are processes in place to ensure their new versions will work before they are released.

Sorry for the long post, just hoping it clarifies a few things.

10 Likes

@antipodes many thanks for that informative post which is much appreciated and I look forward to all the planned things over the next months and years. As well as any technical improvements in 3.1 the user interface is now really easy to use and is much better.

Mark Cole has been at the sharp end of the update process and he has been an absolute credit to Antipodes. I doubt he has been to bed during the whole time.

One thing which you may or may not know is that after the 3.1 upgrade some of us are already now on different release versions of some of the apps supplied with 3.1 (we talk to each other :grinning:). So perhaps an early push can just rectify that? If it would be useful I can supply details of which different versions of the apps have been sent out with 3.1 but you probably know anyway.

Thanks again for all the huge effort from you guys at Antipodes which is bearing fruit.

4 Likes

Many thanks for ALL of the hard work your team has been doing on this and huge thank you to your point man @MarkCole .
Without his personal touch I would have been scuppered!
I am a very happy user as I was convinced that my older Edge was going to be left out in the cold but you guys have proven to myself how customer service should be in this age.

I told Mark that I was going to buy a S30 later and that is still going to happen but I am so impressed that you got my Edge into the modern world with v3.1.
Congratulations to the Antipodes team.

1 Like

Congrats to the entire Antipodes team and special shout out for @markcole for all of diligence and paitence demonstrated with all the past week.
My install (Dx3) was painless and error free. The instructions provided were well written & excellent. The minor issue issue I had Mark was able to resolve in 30 seconds. (authorizing t new core)

Thanks to the entire Antipodes team. Best damn support in the industry!

1 Like

How do I get the upgrade to 3.1 was away this week. Not sure I understand the clock time setting ? So again how do I get the 3.1 upgrade sent to me thanks Eli

As per previous post

@ELI1333
Remote Support Instructions

Please follow the instructions above for remote access support

I take it I make a 1 on 1 appointment ?

@ELI1333
As per instruction, please send me your Anydesk ID to support@Antipodes.audio
This is preferred.

Hi, i just bought a CX from Elite audio, i am in the UK.

How do i get the AMS 3.1 firmware?

@MarkCole All is setup for roonserver, i have installed Plex server too but it wont open the plex GUI when i click on the icon?

Regards,

Raj

@cereal_killer

Please see this post on our website for AMSv3.1 info
AMSv3.1 Upgrade

There you will see what to do regarding what version of AMS you have.
I assume that you do not have the v3.1 trigger, therefore I will have to remote in to set it.

Please follow the instructions here for remote access.
Remote Support Instructions

Thanks Mark - Mail sent with anydesk number.

@MarkCole All done and working perfectly. Thank you for the remote desktop assistant on your weekend - apprecaited.

1 Like

We have CX + EX used for ROON exclusively, however CX and EX are on 2.7 and won’t install 2.8 : is that a sign we missed the “2019 update” and we cannot install AMSv3.1 without your remote assistance?

Thanks!
Gianluca

Hi Mark,

Firstly, I have successfully backed up (note for other users - the easiest way to back up by far is to plug a USB in the back of the Antipodes server).

I then began the upgrade to 3.1. I could see the option to upgrade on both CX and EX. I upgraded CX first and successfully got through all 3 steps and it looks like the machine now has 3.1. However I then noticed that the option to upgrade the EX vanished! How do I get back the installer on the EX?

Ok after a few reboots the option to install re-appeared on the EX and I have successfully installed 3.1.

My next question is how to get to the settings page of HQ Player. I see a link on the HQ Player server apps, but it is asking for a user name and password? I have no idea what these are.

@gkg2k yes see below

1 Like

the default is admin and admin

1 Like

Sincerest thanks @antipodes for the details shared, and the amazing support from the team during the upgrade process. Much appreciated! I noted the details in your post in regard to upcoming releases and wanted to flag a bug I have experienced with Native DSD no longer working.

I have shared details with Mark so my post here may be redundant. I did want to share nonetheless as I (previously) upsampled everything to Native DSD 256. In my setup Native DSD 256 vs DoP 128 (the only DSD option for me now) is the difference between actual engaging music with presence, vs good sound…

Native DSD previously worked with Roon and my EX connected to an Ayre QB-9 Twenty on Software v2.8, but this is no longer the case in v3.1. Please add this to the list for future updates. Thanks again!

I wonder if Roon is more to blame for this. How are you enabling native DSD?

Given that the 3.1 upgrade wiped out Roon, I wonder if maybe a former setting wasn’t restored.

Hi @kennyb123 . Good thoughts. I’ve checked and double checked my settings and to the best of my knowledge all are correct. I’ve also done a few power cycles for good measure, as well as restarting Roon Ready on my EX and restarting Roon on my CORE. Mark is in the loop and has also enquired with Roon.

As for the settings used: when Native DSD is selected in my EX Player Dashboard, and I click Save (1st pic attached), there are no DSD options in Roon’s Sample Rate Conversion settings (2nd image attached)…

This is the same behaviour which was in place with v2.7, prior to the Native DSD playback capability that came for me in v2.8. For v2.8, with Native DSD enabled in my.antipodes, I had full DSD options to select in the Roon Sample rate conversion menu.

I know there’s lots on the go and will be patient for this to be resolved.