What is required to get HQ player to work on Roon with the K50

Ensure that you select the Network Audio Backend, inside HQPLAYER

Click OPEN up by the preset in the Solution Dashboard to open HQPLAYER setup, demo mode admin/admin credentials.

Inside Roon go to Settings/Setup
Add HQPLAYER Output.
Use the IP address of your server, click ADD.

Which version of hq player should be bought?

Embedded for Linux

https://order.shareit.com/product?vendorid=200082742&productid=300779869&languageid=1&nolselection=1

1 Like

Is the HQ player 30 minute tryout a one time only or is it per day? Second question when the embedded Hq player software is bought how is it registered on the antipodes ? Thanks Eli

Once you restart HQPlayer you get another 30 minutes. The clock starts ticking right away even if you don’t use it. As far as I recall there is no further limitation.

Embedded is already installed. You have to configure it by opening the HQPlayer settings page. From the Server dashboard, under HQPlayer you click Open. Then go to the Key tab and you can upload the license

Thanks for all your help. Do you run the Hq player on Roon? Like it better than without? Own the May Halo KTE 3 dac and all the review swear by they quality of sound run via The HQ player —- your thoughts ?

There are a handful of DACs that can really shine with software scaling. You happen to have one of those - and so do I.

I have found a strong preference for PCM upscaling. I have been using a combination of strategies. PGGB has been one of them - this has been a game-changer with my current and former DACs.

PGGB is an offline solution, so for streaming I’ve relied on Roon/HQPlayer. A downside with HQPlayer is that it is not the most transparent option. To my ears, Squeeze is far and away the most transparent choice on both the K50 and K30. My PGGB’d files gain the advantage of being able to be played back using Squeeze so it contributes to them sounding best.

With your DAC, I would start with determining which you prefer: DSD or PCM upscaling. HQPlayer is absolutely best with DSD so if you like the sound of DSD then this should be the way to go. PGGB would be worth trying too to give you a feel for upscaled PCM. I can share some files - just send me a PM.

In the purchasing of the embedded HQ player it ask for the Hardware fingerprint of the HQ player Computer — Not sure what this is —-

Click on About on the HQPlayer settings

So just enter the fingerprint number —and it opens up the software to full operations after it is bought?

The fingerprint is needed to generate the license that you will receive sometime after making a purchase.

If anyone is an Hq player expert and has suggestions for settings On how to set Hq player up for use with Roon please send a screen shot on your settings Also curious if the trial setting from antipodes on the Hq player is a good starting point and the purchased Hq player settings are a good starting point? Thanks in advance

The trial is supplied by HQPlayer.
The full version is the trial with the licence activated.
There is no difference.
No settings are set, it’s up to you to decide what settings to use.
This is the joy of HQPlayer, make it how you wish and experiment.
More seasoned HQPlayer-ites should chime in with their preferred filter settings.
But it really depends on how your DAC responds IMHO, one size doesn’t fit all.
I’m interested to see what folks are using however.

I had shared my HQPlayer settings in a PM but as far as getting Roon integrated with HQPlayer, there is quite a bit of information on the web. Just search for “roon hqplayer integration”.

The HQPlayer developer monitors the HQPlayer thread on Audiophile Style. There are likely to be folks who can advise you on best settings for your DAC there. The search feature allows you to search the thread.

HQPlayer isn’t user-friendly. Knowing where to get assistance is essential.

did all that, roon plays but no sound, only 30 seconds in so trial mode should be ok. i see that volume is fixed and i have no volume control other than roon is that the problem maybe? fixed volume is not ticked in hqplayer settings :thinking:

After playing with Hq player on the free setting I decided to buy the software 3 weeks ago — I figured $225 is a small amount of money to play with given the thousand I have spent in the past trying to get audio heaven —- Well after 3 weeks of playing with my May 3 Holo KTE Dac I came report it was money well spent — There are some small irritations like the delay on the playing - but overall it is one of the best investment in audio that I have made — Thank to everyone who has helped me with this adventure —- Now I am trying some of the different suggested setting that have been given to me —-If anyone one has their favorite please take a screen shot and post it —- again thanks all

2 Likes

I had no sound with basic setup. I changed the PCM rate limits in Configuration - PCM limit from 768000 to 192000 - to match my DAC and it resolved the issue.

1 Like

Anybody know why volume control is set to fixed in roon with no way to change it? im just using the roon+hqplayer solution in ams in which ‘fixed volume’ is not ticked in the HQr settings page

Volume / Cog / Device Setup / Volume Control