What is required to get HQ player to work on Roon with the K50

Yes i have that but still no volume control

Have you played a song and checked the Network Backend in HQPlayer Setup, I had to Apply in HQPlayer Setup, as it takes a bit for Roon and HQPlayer to connect.

when i choose the roon+hqplayer solution, network audio is automatically selected as backend in hq settings. if i click apply, without changing anything, and play a song, roon still has no volume control. also tried changing to alsa, then apply, then back to network audio and apply again and tried changing device volume to fixed and back to device again. still doesnt work

Its the same process as Squeeze, but disable direct SDM

which one of these settings disables direct SDM?

Easy one: uncheck Direct SDM

1 Like

thx, i was looking in the wrong place.

so hq player is working now and i have volume control - but there is a long delay between changing the volume on roon and the adjustment to come through - is this normal with hqp?

I have read through this thread, but I still think it would be helpful to have a step by step guide on how to use HQP with your products. I took delivery of a K22 today. Previously I had a licence for the desktop version of HQP which I used with Roon on a Windows laptop, and have emailed Jussi today to ask whether this can be converted to a licence for the Embedded version. Nonetheless at the moment I cannot get the trial HQP player to do anything.

I gather that the trial version of HQP gives you 30 mins, but I have restarted it repeatedly and it still isnā€™t functioning. I have enabled HQP in the Setup menu in Roon itself, and both HQP and the K22 appear in Roon. I choose HQP to play with the handoff from HQP to K22 specified in the Transfer Zone. But when I choose a track it appears to be playing in HQP but the track time does not shift beyond 0:00 and no sound comes from the speakers.

I can play music from the K22 alone with no problem.

My questions:

1. In the Solution page I have chosen the Roon Auto preset: is that correct?
  2. In Player I have App = Roon. In Server I have App = Roon and HQP highlighted in blue: correct?
  3. In HQP Embedded, section Generic, do I select the backend as ALSA or Network Audio? I have tried both but neither works. In the ALSA Backend section the Device shows as the K22, which has to be correct as there is no other option in the drop down. In the Network Audio backend section there are no options in the device dropdown. Is all this correct?
  4. Any other things to try?

Many thanks.

To go straight to your questions,

1/ No not correct, you use the preset from the preset drop down for Roon and HQPlayer Auto.
2/ Doing #1 will remove the need for doing anything here.
3/ From the Dashboard you can launch HQPlayer set-up, trial is admin/admin
Use Network Audio, select the correct output in Network Audio drop down box at the bottom of the page, ie USB 2.0 is re-clocker.
Ensure that the sample rate does not exceed that of your DAC.
Also enter the IP Adresss of the server in Roon.

Thanks for the info but it still doesnā€™t work.

In the Solution page I have chosen HQ Player with Roon Server Auto.

I have started the trial version of HQP using admin / admin.

I have set up HQP in Roon using localhost, as HQP will be on the K22 as the Roon Core.

I have chosen HQP in Roon as the audio zone. K22 doesnā€™t appear anywhere in Roon as an option. When I press Play on a track what I see in Roon is shown below.

What I see in HQP is also below. You said ā€˜Use Network Audio, select the correct output in Network Audio drop down box at the bottom of the page, ie USB 2.0 is re-clockerā€™. So to clarify:

1. In section Generic I select the backend as Network Audio, correct?

2. In the ALSA backend section under device all I can see is Antipodes USB Audio 2.0, despite the fact that the K22 is connected to my DAC via SPDIF cable: is that correct?

3. Lastly, in the Network Audio backend section there are NO devices available in the drop down menu, is that correct?

This is really frustrating, and given that HQP is quite widely used by people who stream music I donā€™t see why this is so difficult.

The K22 aims to be a Player, but it sounds like you are using it as Player and Server. Am I correct?

If so, this is why configuration isnā€™t straightforward. If you only have a K22 in the mix, the network audio section should be blank. And you would need to use the dropdown in the ALSA settings to switch to the other device to get spdif to work. Both devices will be labeled USB, but one will actually be the reclocker.

Again I am making an assumption here that you only have a K22. Please clarify.

Also be sure to restart HQPlayer before you want to listen. Trial mode halts music playback without telling you why. So always good to bump it before pushing play while you are in the process of sorting things out.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I only have the K22 which Iā€™ll use to stream from Roon + Qobuz, plus play flac files from my music library (loaded on to a Samsung SSD in the K22). The K22 is then connected to my DAC.

In the ALSA dropdown I only have one option, which is Antipodes USB Audio 2.0. Thereā€™s nothing else there.

With the K50, I get something different but itā€™s not apples to apples as you have only a K22. Iā€™m now outside of my comfort zone as I have only worked with Antipodes K series with both Server and Player (K30 and K50). Your problem will be solved by adding a K41, but Iā€™m thinking you should be able to accomplish this with just a K22 so hopefully someone else can jump in to advise.

Ahhh K22, set backend to ALSA

I tried all the possible permutations of ALSA and Network Audio, and unfortunately none of them worked. I simply could not get HQP to work with my K22 set up in any shape or form, and I have spent a huge amount of time on this in the past couple of days.

Separately I contacted Jussi to ask whether my HQP desktop licence could be exchanged in some way for an embedded one. He told me that I need to buy a new licence.

If the licence could be bought at a discount (as Iā€™ve already paid Ā£230 for the desktop one) then that would be OK, but Iā€™m not going to pay another Ā£230 for a new embedded HQP licence. Particularly as the interface between the K22 and HQP doesnā€™t appear to work for me.

Sorry to hear that you have struggled this much.

What is your DAC and which interface are you hoping to use?

As an aside, I honestly donā€™t think HQPlayer should be run on the K22. Itā€™s meant to be a Player so it has a low power CPU that generates very low noise. It can be an excellent NAA so consider continuing to use HQPlayer desktop to do the heavy lifting. It can then stream to your K22 over the network with none of the noise passed on. Then at some future point you can upgrade to a better server.

You should also give Squeeze a listen.

One more question: what sample rate are you attempting to upscale to? If it is set too high you might not hear anything.

I donā€™t have a K22, nor do I have a Roon sub. I do have a CX and a P2. I have this HQP configuration (pretty much the default one):

I can confim that, using the HQPlayer app (Library) I am able to play tracks with my DAC connected to the Coax output of the P2. I would imagine that the internal K22 architecture is similat to CX via USB to P2. So the issue may be with the Roon->HQP setup ā€¦ not much help I realise.

Good move to have backend set to ALSA. Looking at the config screenshot @MPSXB shared, I see that he has it set to Network Audio. That wonā€™t fly in his config.

@MPSXB please share the current HQPlayer configuration please? And let us know your DAC and which output you are using.

Thanks very much to all. I now have the K22 plus HQP plus Roon working.

The K22 connected to an Audio GD R7 2020 HE DAC by spdif. The DAC is then connected to a preamp.

In the K22 Solution tab I have selected HQPlayer with Roon Auto.

In the HQP embedded screen I have selected Generic Backend as ALSA. In PCM settings I have set the rate limit as 192, which is the limit of the DAC with the spdif input. In the ALSA backend I have the Antipodes as the Device.

I went into Roon Settings Setup and used Add HQ Player, then selected HQP as the audio zone.

Incidentally, this may have been covered elsewhere, but when the 30 minute HQP trial ends all you have to do is ensure that the Log File Enabled box is checked, click the blue Apply button at the bottom of the screen, and itā€™ll restart.

1 Like