Antipodes Audio AMSv5 Release Information

I’d rather they hold fire until issues are identified and resolved.
We’ve managed without v5, a few extra days will make no difference

Good recommendation. Trying out apps can be even more convenient. For the purists among us (and there might be a few), remember to close the apps that you do not use.

Paul, AMSv5 seems quite well behaved in doing that anyway but you are correct that it is worth checking. AMSv4 seemed to leave behind a few open but unused server apps.

1 Like

This is very similar to what I experienced on both desktop and laptop when I set the path for Artist Images to the Pictures folder in Settings - completely unrelated images and a lot of duplicates. I think I first came across that adjustment from a reply you made to a question I asked in a much earlier discussion, so you may have the same path set. It seems that I have to re-set this path every time there has been an AMS upgrade, so I naturally thought doing so in AMS5 would again correct the minority of errors. Instead, it appeared to make things worse (unless I am confusing correlation with causation). And as a side note, the errors I was seeking to correct by setting this path were the apparent result of the software searching for artist images on the internet and finding the correct name but the wrong person.
In AMS5, when I removed that path and cleared caches/history, all went back to more or less normal, which means a few slightly irritating but manageable errors.
At some point I hope Antipodes will get around to addressing this now that the issue appears to be more common. But in the meantime, have you investigated whether or not modifying that setting corrects this?

Hi Kenny,
Thanks for the quick response.

Since I use HQplayer only as a passtrough I think I will postpone the HQplayer upgrade given the cost.

3h

I previously had Tidal integrated into my AMSv4, so in AMSv5 I can’t access the album in my Squeeze to Squeeze setup as you suggested unless I switch to Qobuz (I am on Tidal Family with 4 more, so changing is a little complicated).

Edit:

Your Qobuz experience starts now, paulw. :boom:

You can now fully enjoy Qobuz. Cancel for free at any time.Your account will not be debited before 3/13/24

Perhaps it’s better to listen to my own version from SSD. Is that how you listen to it, or do you stream?

Edit: :grinning: What SSD @NickBacon ? You are not using the Antipodes recommended Samsung PM893 if my memory is correct? Slightly OT but related to how you hear your music nevertheless; I’ve been experiencing too much improvement with certain types SSD and also RAM and the best power for it to ignore. The former ‘impression’ is shared by Antipodes but regarding RAM not that much it seems. I understand that these improvements can be system-dependent and may not be universally applicable.

Hi Mark, Unfortunately, I have also just installed the server update. Consequence: No more access to the dashboard. Error message “Failed to connect to Ip-Adress port 80 after 3110ms. No route to host Please reboot and reopen.” I have rebooted and reopened the K50, router and iPad several times - no success. What can I do? Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

@Netbert please book a support session

A beautiful upgrade - dynamics and noise floor nicely improved. Many thanks!

2 Likes

Paul, I use the Samsung 860 EVO SSD in my Oladra. These are what I first installed when I had the K50 and I just moved them over to the Oladra when I upgraded to that. For sure there is a temptation to go to the PM893 but that is on the ‘one day’ list of things to do.

On the matter of listening via Qobuz or files from the SSD I have a small but noticeable preference for the sound from the SSD and so tend not to use Qobuz apart from when my (adult) children come to stay. Then I log into my Qobuz account, fire up Roon and hand the iPad to them so they can find and listen to whatever they want!

There have been some anecdotes in regards to sound quality improvements with AMSv5, and at least one report of communication with Antipodes staff confirming this, but here is some wordage on the revised Antipodes website (Support>Articles) which alludes to the fact there are some sonic improvements along with AMSv5, and confirms more sound quality improvements are coming :slight_smile:

An Antipodes App

Historically we have preferred not to provide an Antipodes playback app, and instead to support the best of the available apps created and maintained by dedicated software companies. We had two simple reasons for this.

• Many users prefer a particular playback app that they are already used to, and in most cases we can make it available on our hardware.
  • Several popular playback apps are mature, well designed and developed, so the most meaningful way that we can improve them is to make them sound better.

So our focus has been on integrating the best available third-party playback apps with our operating system and audio processing stack, and providing a simple user interface so that customers can easily select the playback app they prefer to use.

In 2020 we delivered a new management interface, AMS. AMS has progressively been improved, and it is now widely considered to be the leading management interface in the industry.

In 2023 we began to build a completely new software stack to support the future development of AMS. AMSv5, released in February 2024 is accompanied by a new operating system and more efficient back-end functionality. These developments improve the performance of AMS and all third-party playback apps. Later this year we will implement re-built back-end functionality, and that will improve responsiveness and sound quality further.

At the same time as the release of AMSv5, we released Android and iOS apps to complete the ‘My Antipodes’ network discovery function. Opening the app on your phone or tablet lists the Antipodes devices on your network, and clicking on one opens the AMSv5 interface for that device. During the rest of 2024, we will tightly integrate these apps with AMS and the playback apps, so that users enjoy a seamless experience.

The next stage of development will tightly integrate the My Antipodes apps with AMS and with the third-party playback apps. Users will then enjoy a seamless experience with any playback method they decide to use.

3 Likes

I’ve disabled C3P0 in the server and player but PGGB still won’t play, anyone any other thoughts on what else I could try?
Thanks

It should just work. What do you see when you push play? Does the progress bar move but no sound?

Yes , progress bar moves and there is a low level warbling sound from the speakers,

Can you see if they play in another app, like MPD, Roon or HQPlayer? Then flip back over to Squeeze and see if they play. If the DAC and player get out of sync this should get restore it. If Squeeze doesn’t play them after doing this, you might need a support call to have Squeeze reinstalled.

1 Like

After the support session I am „up and running“ - many thanks to @MarkCole :+1:

atb, Tom

3 Likes

It works with Roon and HQP whilst with Roon and Squeeze it plays, but Roon is downsampling to 192KHz. There is a device setting in Roon which sets the max sample rate, but 192kHz is the highest that can be chosen.

In Squeeze I thought I had sussed it as although I had deactivated in the player and the server, when I looked via the Plugin menu, it was still checked. I unchecked it and saved settings but I still only get the low level warbling. I only have a few PGGB files from a trial, so no biggie, but would like to solve it at some point. Cheers

It appears that your DAC is reporting that the max rate it supports is 192k. How are you connecting to it? AES?

If USB or I2S, consider restarting both your DAC and server. Make sure that the DAC is fully powered up before you start the server.

I use USB, tried the reboots, still the same.

Support call as something appears to be off with respect to how your DAC is being recognized. Remind me again - which DAC and which USB cable?