SSD recommendation for new K models

Hi,
Great! Just to be clear you are swapping a music SSD (not the OS SSD)? What capacity?And you seem to have a K50?
Look forward to it.

Yes I have a K50. I am no expert but I don’t think the OS is stored on the SATA ssd on K50

That is correct. The OS is not stored on the SATA SSD.

1 Like

For anyone looking for PM893 here in EU. This is the best price I could find. They have other capacities as well.

the second link @ Geizhals.de or Idealo.de is good to compare €. Depends your country, but it’s all Europe.
Hope it’s not too late.

Please remember swapping SSD’s is not a guarantee your music will sound better. Music can sound different, possibly better. Likely on a more resolving system it’s easier to hear.
But I am glad to see users agree SSD’s (btw. all types SSD like NVMe and also RAM) do sound different. When the same SSD is powered externally, with a good power supply unit, it usually does sound even better.

Quote:

MarkCole

Aug 29

Indeed the Samsung PM893 SSD is the new standard for best playback from local files.

MarkCole

Sep 4

Hi there, we have compared the QVO, EVO and PM SSD’s in our listening room by switching between OLADRA’s.
The QVO and EVO are still great, the best out there, until we heard the PM.
We can only advise our findings, your ears, your room, your server, your source material may yield a different result.

end quote

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/480GB-Samsung-SSD-PM893-SATA3-2-5-Zoll_1405432.html

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/MainSearchProductCategory.html?q=Samsung+PM893

https://geizhals.de/samsung-oem-datacenter-ssd-pm893-480gb-mz7l3480hchq-00a07-a2519663.html

1 Like

thank you so much :slight_smile:

My pleasure. If I would guess from your username you are in Germany, so no extra shipping fees with prices found on Geizhals or Idealo!

Haha. No I am in Ireland. I was a science nerd growing up.

Ok. The ssd is here. I swapped it out and been playing music since morning. I do hear a difference. And it is subjectively slightly better sounding.
I think it’s worth the cost involved. :slight_smile:

@Darmstadtium Please remind us - what SATA SSD were you using in your K50 before you swapped it for the PM893? And can you please describe in more detail the sonic differences you are hearing? Thank you.

I was using the 860 EVO. I would like to update my impressions on the SSD.
I said earlier that it made a slight difference. No, now I feel it makes an appreciable difference. I think the 860 evo made my antipodes sound a bit dull. With the pm883 , the resolution and bass resolution has increased. YMMV

In my server-only K40 I, too, was using the 860 EVO before transitioning to the PM893. As I previously noted, changing the drive was sonically transformational. Even more recently, I transitioned from MinimServer to Squeeze Server. That was another not-too-subtle change for the better. With the change of SSD and change of server, I have realised a fuller, smoother, and more balanced sound that is more akin to analogue than digital. I will admit initial skepticism that either of the changes would make an appreciable difference. I was wrong. Once again, everything matters.

@Darmstadtium and @MusicMatters did you both swap in only a single PM893 for a single 860 EVO? I have a pair of 860 EVO drives so I gasp when I look at the price to replace both.

Yes. Single 860 to single PM893
I am going to check over the weekend how my K50 sounds with no SSD.

Single SSD for me, 480gb.

A pair of 3.84 TB dives would set me back $1000-$1200. I can’t imagine the sound quality improvement would justify that.

2 Likes

I purchased a single 8TB PM893…perhaps that would be better value? The disk sounds very good, but it is the first in my Oladra so there is nothing to compare.

1 Like

Also orderd one Single 8TB PM893 for my K50 this morning - will replace a crucial (2 TB) and a 860 (1 TB).

atb, Tom

2 Likes

It all depends. If your music is stored on local SSD then the PM983 will sound better than the 860.

If your music files are stored on a NAS the local Antipodes ethernet connection could outperform the local SSD music drive over a SATA connection. Someone has to compare.

In most cases a SATA connection (and long cables picking up interference) and SSD does not yield the best audible results vs. NVMe music storage for example.

Usually the OS benefits most from better drives/memory. If that applies and if budget is limited for high capacity music file drive(s) for much less $ it would yield more benefit to use a $70 / 240GB PM893 as OS SSD for the K30 (you can easily clone the Samsung drive with free Rufus or BalenaEtcher).

I am sure Antipodes found solutions for SATA and SSD not applied by most other brands hence their excellent sound. But when possible it is always good to compare.

I have experimented with streaming (i.e. digital data incoming via the network) vs SSD and SSD wins easily, but have not experimented with music files coming from the NAS. Strange thing is that with Roon, a quality ethernet cable matters in my system when playing back SSD files which I guess is to do with the chatter Roon creates on the network. The Melco switch does not seem to add anything in that situation but it certainly does when streaming from Qobuz/Tidal.

It would be relatively easy to compare playback from NAS vs local Oladra SSD…perhaps I should.